The Metalworking Thread

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
304 stainless cart made to hold some plates that go in and out of a freezing tunnel for raspberries. It holds the spare set to swap when the ones inside the tunnel get plugged up and need to be pulled and cleaned.4C5D6BE5-51B4-482D-B0B8-467AF70EBED0.jpeg439E2E41-3ED3-4615-B514-72C0E4AB0C6D.jpeg9F83948D-5AAF-40BF-ABEB-4D2A2D184F1F.jpeg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
10.0mm 3-flute Solid-Carbide mill bit in mild carbon steel, no cooling.
At properly set tooling parameters the heat is supposed to be transfered into the chips, which seems to has worked in this case.
15.0mm deep side fed milling engagement.

Milling the desired ID, less material to remove, less engagement time, less heat buildup, less chip blueing
IMG_20230403_100953.jpg

Cutting out the workpiece and creating the products desired OD, extended continuous engagement, fair heat generation and chip discoloration
IMG_20230404_104356.jpg

Contouring the products inner surface with a 4.0mm 4-flute Solid-Carbide mill bit.
No cooling, conservative feed to prevent breakage.
7.0mm deep side engagement, two passes resulting in a combined milling depth of 14.0mm as the bits flutes were merely 10.0mm short.
IMG_20230404_100859.jpg

I made two heavy duty ER32 collet wrenches. :)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I needed this threaded hole for a workpiece setup on the mill, but someone broke a tap in it.
IMG_20230412_155506.jpg

So I drilled the taps core out in manual operation mode, used a Solid-Carbide drill bit. As I was drilling through the taps core the taps flutes got loose and snagged the drill bit breaking it.
IMG_20230412_161140.jpg

Luckily I managed to poke the individual tooling parts free and out successfully freeing the hole and the thread in it.
Fun day at work!
IMG_20230412_163143~2.jpg

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I needed this threaded hole for a workpiece setup on the mill, but someone broke a tap in it.
View attachment 373767

So I drilled the taps core out in manual operation mode, used a Solid-Carbide drill bit. As I was drilling through the taps core the taps flutes got loose and snagged the drill bit breaking it.
View attachment 373768

Luckily I managed to poke the individual tooling parts free and out successfully freeing the hole and the thread in it.
Fun day at work!
View attachment 373769
Been there ,

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 373767

View attachment 373768

Fun day at work!
View attachment 373769

Yup, never drill all the way through a tap. Leave just enough you can break it up with a punch.

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Left: 10.0mm Solid-Carbide mill bit after having processed dozens of "milling lines" (hours of work throughout the shift) in grey cast iron - no cooling, high rpm.

Right: identical 10.0mm (same manufacturer & model) after milling ISO 12.9 grade steel nearly continuously for 30 minutes (about 60 mostly short milling lines) with maxed out liquid cooling and reduced tooling parameters (lower rpm's & feeds)

12.9 grade steel is unforgiving!

View attachment 363490

On the right mill bit the flutes are still fine, it is the plunge cut into the quenched 12.9 grade steel surface that takes a heavy toll on the bit.
I have a love/hate relationship with 12.9 grade steel! :enamorado: / :mad:
I love making something durable, but I hate ruining my tooling.

P.S./Edit:
ISO 12.9 is a higher grade than SAE grade 8 - it compares to SAE ASTM A574
have you tried a chip splitter end mill and H.E.M? do you use a Cad-Cam or program at the machine?

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
have you tried a chip splitter end mill and H.E.M? do you use a Cad-Cam or program at the machine?
I just utilize what I have available, for the most part it works well, yet sometimes it is barely sufficient.
For what I make I can not justify the purchase of more special tooling.

I have no access to CAD/CAM, everything is programmed on the machines console in WinMax and I actually prefer it that way as it is much easier to alter/adjust/correct/modify.

i use Mitsubishi. Have you tried Moldino? Mitsubishi Carbide bought them a few yrs ago. i have used some of their cutters on Ferralium 255
WiDia/Hanita, Osawa, Miller, Premus, Clarkson is what I use.
Again, can't justify trying them all - and honestly, no big difference between them.
The biggest difference is in the cutter geometry, some are ground more aggressive than others which makes them feed better in hard workpieces.

I am just a hack, I mostly don't know what I am doing!

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just utilize what I have available, for the most part it works well, yet sometimes it is barely sufficient.
For what I make I can not justify the purchase of more special tooling.

I have no access to CAD/CAM, everything is programmed on the machines console in WinMax and I actually prefer it that way as it is much easier to alter/adjust/correct/modify.

WiDia/Hanita, Osawa, Miller, Premus, Clarkson is what I use.
Again, can't justify trying them all - and honestly, no big difference between them.
The biggest difference is in the cutter geometry, some are ground more aggressive than others which makes them feed better in hard workpieces.

I am just a hack, I mostly don't know what I am doing!
ya cad/cam can be a pain, if you need to alter vs being able to do it at the controls. you like Hurco mills? i was intrigued by them when i was out at IMTS.
yes tooling adds up quickly lol.

we are all hacks lol. that's the fun part is figuring it out, yet it can be very stressful too when boss is jumping down your back lol

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
first DMG Mori in the shop? looks like you will be getting CAD/CAM software after all LOL. unless you can program that 5axis mill turn in Celos.
hope you don't break down ever, heard these machines have horrible customer service techs. that was out of the mouth of an ex service engineer.