Stolen saws near Syracuse/Utica

vrex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Few weeks back I was at a week long USFS train-the-trainers training for my C-sawyer/eval with a dozen other people. We had a classroom designated for our use at Delta Lake State Park north of Rome, NY. The park was generally closed tho they let the Amish through. I suspect a park employee saw us bringing gear into the classroom and unlocked a door for a friend to steal saws. 6 saws were stolen, most owned by individual state forests. They were primarily 362s and 261s. I am not a State employee, I work for a tree service, and the saw I brought (555 with a fullwrap) was my own. I missed a week's pay at work and had a saw stolen, which was my primary chunking saw for climb work. Double f'd. If you come across a 555 with a fullwrap and dual dogs, please let me know or report it to your local PD. I'm sure those saws were moved out of the region, and are long gone. State troopers havent had any luck, i never really expected them to. I wish I'd put any kind of markings on my saw so it would be harder to pass off to a pawn shop or saw shop, lesson learned. I have some serial numbers for the saws, I'm not sure if its ok to post them. I'm hoping to get some funding from the NPS to offset the cost of a new saw. I've exhausted pursuing the state for it, they are self insured and won't reimburse me even tho they explicitly authorized us to keep gear there, and cant issue funds until an arrest is made (lol). I missed @Funky sawman 's screaming deal on a 500iR, if anyone is thinking of letting a full wrap saw go over the winter please let me know. I'm trying to drum up some more side work to get money together for a replacement saw, with the winter lay off coming i dont figure it'll be a new saw, but a full wrap is pretty clutch for me, and the ability to run a 24" bar is ideal. I've got a 24" bar, so I'm covered there. I know this s*** happens, but also F!!! that guy. Stealing from people that rely on their equipment for a living? Go play in traffic.

vrex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate it, and I'll extend that on behalf of all the guys that lost saws that week!

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lame. People suck.

TheWizard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
there is nothing lower than a rat stealing tools, thats putting the poor rat down and these thieves live on. I engrave all my saws as soon as I get them it dont stop them being taken but you may have a tiny chance. I did sell one saw and the person had it taken and never seen that again even though it was engraved. I guess if another low life is offered a cheap saw they will snap up the deal knowing it was once someone's bread winner.

Stihlalltheway

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Don’t know if this helps, maybe another member can get it shipped to you? Seems like a good deal

vrex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Don’t know if this helps, maybe another member can get it shipped to you? Seems like a good deal
Thanks man, heck of a deal but it says its 23 weeks old, not sure it's valid anymore. worth a try at that price!

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Few weeks back I was at a week long USFS train-the-trainers training for my C-sawyer/eval with a dozen other people. We had a classroom designated for our use at Delta Lake State Park north of Rome, NY. The park was generally closed tho they let the Amish through. I suspect a park employee saw us bringing gear into the classroom and unlocked a door for a friend to steal saws. 6 saws were stolen, most owned by individual state forests. They were primarily 362s and 261s. I am not a State employee, I work for a tree service, and the saw I brought (555 with a fullwrap) was my own. I missed a week's pay at work and had a saw stolen, which was my primary chunking saw for climb work. Double f'd. If you come across a 555 with a fullwrap and dual dogs, please let me know or report it to your local PD. I'm sure those saws were moved out of the region, and are long gone. State troopers havent had any luck, i never really expected them to. I wish I'd put any kind of markings on my saw so it would be harder to pass off to a pawn shop or saw shop, lesson learned. I have some serial numbers for the saws, I'm not sure if its ok to post them. I'm hoping to get some funding from the NPS to offset the cost of a new saw. I've exhausted pursuing the state for it, they are self insured and won't reimburse me even tho they explicitly authorized us to keep gear there, and cant issue funds until an arrest is made (lol). I missed @Funky sawman 's screaming deal on a 500iR, if anyone is thinking of letting a full wrap saw go over the winter please let me know. I'm trying to drum up some more side work to get money together for a replacement saw, with the winter lay off coming i dont figure it'll be a new saw, but a full wrap is pretty clutch for me, and the ability to run a 24" bar is ideal. I've got a 24" bar, so I'm covered there. I know this s*** happens, but also F!!! that guy. Stealing from people that rely on their equipment for a living? Go play in traffic.
I lost some saws year's ago when I was at work
they didn't do a fukin' thing to the *s-word bag when they caught him
He's dead now I'm told.
I've heard some guy's are trying apple air tags in their fleet saws I don't know if it works for long.
Gentleman has the excellent echo 620pw wrap saws for 550.00
If you eventually had it Ported it would be a great all around saw.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is it about a saw that makes theives like to steal them so much? I leave items in the bed of my truck unattended on the reg, but would never leave any saws in there while I'm not around. I live in a fairly High Trust locality.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a 590 timberwolf at the pawnshop for 2 hunerd if you want me to pick it up for yah. Good thing about these underdogs, they ain't worth sht and will outcut the 555.