Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
6:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This cut report was more about chain than the saw, not that the saw wasn't a dandy, as this little MS261C certainly is. By happenstance ended up going from .325 semi chisel in one video, then converted it to 3/8 running bumper drive chisel toothe both made by Stihl. So it lets you get an idea of what a different combination may do for your saw.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an extended cut report as the saw was reunited with its owner @Woodpecker and he made numerous cuts with it in a row, it became obvious that the saw would eventually lean out. So what stated out ok didn't end ok without some more modification. Thankfully being at @huskihl gtg was an advantage as everyone was right there handy like, Brad to run it, me to mechanic on it and Kevin had prior knowledge and the right tooling handy to modify the jet in the carburetor. Which we did twice as after the first time it became better but not quite there, original hole is like .6 and first go around Kevin drilled it to .8 and lastly to 1.0 for the final time which made the saw cut better as well as rich enough to run properly and give no further issue.
Another note to add, this was not a version 3 saw rather a version 2 even though it was brand new. The last version has a .8 hole and gives less problems than the prior versions.
So lesson is run these 261's hard through a few cuts to see how they really go and don't assume a new saw actually is.
Special thanks to @huskihl for his knowledge, talents and tooling.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an extended cut report as the saw was reunited with its owner @Woodpecker and he made numerous cuts with it in a row, it became obvious that the saw would eventually lean out. So what stated out ok didn't end ok without some more modification. Thankfully being at @huskihl gtg was an advantage as everyone was right there handy like, Brad to run it, me to mechanic on it and Kevin had prior knowledge and the right tooling handy to modify the jet in the carburetor. Which we did twice as after the first time it became better but not quite there, original hole is like .6 and first go around Kevin drilled it to .8 and lastly to 1.0 for the final time which made the saw cut better as well as rich enough to run properly and give no further issue.
Another note to add, this was not a version 3 saw rather a version 2 even though it was brand new. The last version has a .8 hole and gives less problems than the prior versions.
So lesson is run these 261's hard through a few cuts to see how they really go and don't assume a new saw actually is.
Special thanks to @huskihl for his knowledge, talents and tooling.
Does the Mtronic try to fight the new porting, so you have to force it to deliver more fuel beyond its control, or what's going on here? If that's the case, then can it still tune the saw properly, or will it simply just run better in some weather, and not as well in other? I've always wondered how the electronic carbs would respond to porting.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
7:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the Mtronic try to fight the new porting, so you have to force it to deliver more fuel beyond its control, or what's going on here? If that's the case, then can it still tune the saw properly, or will it simply just run better in some weather, and not as well in other? I've always wondered how the electronic carbs would respond to porting.
Versions 1 and 2 seem to have too small of a hole feeding into the main nozzle. Porting seems to make it worse/amplify the situation. The saw will run for 4-5 minutes of hard work and begin to heat up from running lean. Sounds like it’s running out of fuel. Drilling the orifice larger increases the amount of fuel available at wot. We actually heard the saw in question begin to run lean and after a minute or so it richened up on its own to the point of flooding it. Got it started again and it readjusted on its own and started running right

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today's report is on an 11 month project. A Stihl MS441c
Got it in not running condition and it had a multitude of issues.
After some questions, some head scratching and some parts, I finally got it running.
I ran it quite a bit and decided I actually liked the saw...so a complete tear down was done.

Found out that it had an AM jug, so, a used one was sourced and obtained with some help from @Woodrow .
New bearings, seals, etc, it then made its way up north to @Stump Shot

Upon its return, (and even before) some answers and advise from Steve, @Mastermind and @huskihl its finally back running.

20221104_102029.jpg

I'm out of wood around the house and with deer hunting and my daughters basketball it will likely have to wait until the Minnesota GTG to finally get some real cuts on it.
I'm real happy with it! Starts super easy, cuts smooth.