ZERO

Simple Life
GoldMember
Local time
7:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very well packaged for the log international ride.

Any tiny screw that had any iota of falling out, nicely double taped to its location.

Everything placed and sorted in a nice pile of zip bags.

Time to call the number on the sticker, and speak to an operator for easy assembly instructions.

bOsZQKy.jpg

4mK760Z.jpg

46ooglu.jpg

ZERO

Simple Life
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dialed the number on the sticker, pressed ZERO to speak to an operator.

An operator answered ... Asked if there were any easy assembly instructions.

This is what we ended up with.

Just looking at her put a smile on my face.

l8GFWWN.jpg

Aqhdnc2.jpg

Jvrd3C5.jpg

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a couple tanks through my Stumpshot 572. I'm in love, between this and my 500i which is stock, I'm in such hi cotton. Love the handling and response of the 572, it's getting better each run. And Steve I'm glad to call you a friend I've made, through our transaction etc. Couldn't be easier to deal with anyone else than my new friend. And I have been fortunate enough to learn some things. It started out as one of my used Saws needed a repair, Randy refered Steve. Randy thanks so much for referral. So many great people and friends here, I'm blessed. 572 in action this saw paid for itself first job, and covered most the first months mortgage for our new home I'm proud to run it. 572 full woods port.

Attachments

• 20220527_131545.jpg
    20220527_131545.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220521_125908.jpg
    20220521_125908.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220521_112129.jpg
    20220521_112129.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220527_131652.jpg
    20220527_131652.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220521_113203.jpg
    20220521_113203.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

ZERO

Simple Life
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Normzilla I can only second what you said about dealing with Steve @Stump Shot.

You live in a very nice region of California, that reminds me of my younger days when I worked for the Forest Service, stationed up north for the fire season, but that was a long time ago when I was much younger and nimbler.

Everyone that will be dealing with Steve will get their saw fully assembled and ready to go, just gas up and open that throttle. Me, I just had some very weird shipping requirements to my neck of the woods, Steve was able to work with me on that, WHICH I VERY GREATLY APPRECIATE.

I had two 22 to 25 inch logs ready to go for this saw, very ugly and knotty wood, just what I needed to put this saw through its paces.

Two of the hardest species in my neck of the woods:

European Ash - Fraximus Excelsior - 5 year dry, very knotty, healthy no ants or rotting, around 25"

European Hornbean - Carpinus Betulus - 7 year dry, very knotty, healthy, no rotting, 22"

Originally debated about the round vs square cut, decided on the square cut.

Square cut had an aggressive top plate and an aggressive top plate undercut for the hard wood.
Rakers were shaved below the progressive Husky depth gauge, if you were to rock it side to side, the raker would not catch the gauge.

This saw for its size put a big smile on my face: 66dl chain, I could not slow her down no matter how much I tried. The more we pressed, the more it wanted to go.

Was hoping that two other factors would be in my favor:

1. Autotune holding the saw back during break in mode. (did not help me)

2. Saw being tuned richer due for the break in period until the rings seated in. (did not help me)

With two tanks through the saw, all I can say with a big smile, this was one very nice therapy session!

In the end, my expectations from this build were far exceeded with what I initially thought was possible.

Looking forward to getting past the break in stage, and have the saw at full potential.

You too can get your angry Wisconsin formula in your saw if you ask nicely.

@Normzilla you can see that here, a reputable builder like @Mastermind will refer you to another reputable builder like @Stump Shot, unlike the wild wild internet that is full of scammers and snake oils salesmen.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Normzilla I can only second what you said about dealing with Steve @Stump Shot.

You live in a very nice region of California, that reminds me of my younger days when I worked for the Forest Service, stationed up north for the fire season, but that was a long time ago when I was much younger and nimbler.

Everyone that will be dealing with Steve will get their saw fully assembled and ready to go, just gas up and open that throttle. Me, I just had some very weird shipping requirements to my neck of the woods, Steve was able to work with me on that, WHICH I VERY GREATLY APPRECIATE.

I had two 22 to 25 inch logs ready to go for this saw, very ugly and knotty wood, just what I needed to put this saw through its paces.

Two of the hardest species in my neck of the woods:

European Ash - Fraximus Excelsior - 5 year dry, very knotty, healthy no ants or rotting, around 25"

European Hornbean - Carpinus Betulus - 7 year dry, very knotty, healthy, no rotting, 22"

Originally debated about the round vs square cut, decided on the square cut.

Square cut had an aggressive top plate and an aggressive top plate undercut for the hard wood.
Rakers were shaved below the progressive Husky depth gauge, if you were to rock it side to side, the raker would not catch the gauge.

This saw for its size put a big smile on my face: 66dl chain, I could not slow her down no matter how much I tried. The more we pressed, the more it wanted to go.

Was hoping that two other factors would be in my favor:

1. Autotune holding the saw back during break in mode. (did not help me)

2. Saw being tuned richer due for the break in period until the rings seated in. (did not help me)

With two tanks through the saw, all I can say with a big smile, this was one very nice therapy session!

In the end, my expectations from this build were far exceeded with what I initially thought was possible.

Looking forward to getting past the break in stage, and have the saw at full potential.

You too can get your angry Wisconsin formula in your saw if you ask nicely.

@Normzilla you can see that here, a reputable builder like @Mastermind will refer you to another reputable builder like @Stump Shot, unlike the wild wild internet that is full of scammers and snake oils salesmen.
What a wonderful reply. Thank you very much. I couldn't agree more on Steve, kind of guy he is. Also the kind of work he does. Man that seasoned wood I'm sure is quite the test I'm impressed. Yes square is number 1 in my opinion. I thinking what I'm running is close or a strong second. Round filed square chain, with rakers manicured and teeth. With the new Stihl all in one kind of file. Biggest thing I notice on square vs round, when you are cornering up, squaring up, especially in a Humboldt undercut, that round does not like to hold and bite and follow your cut up to the corners. Square ground full skip imo is the best.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been a spell again, but here today reporting on a new ported 390xp with a Duke's Hi Performance piston in it, as the original scored from the small amount of use it had. At any rate the porting went off as usual and turned out like a Wednesday saw. I left the original coil in, which is fine as long as it's tuned in the wood. Speaking of, the limiters on the carburetor of the 390 are fairly robust and I also leave them in as full adjustment can be achieved with a Husqvarna/Poulan spline tool which I include with the saw if need be. Otherwise fine tuning is still accomplished with a small screwdriver until the limit is reached and the spline can then take over if more is necessary. Also an Outerwears air filter cover was installed to keep the fines out of the filter and keep the air flowing. Used a @tree monkey large deflector with a Husqvarna screen for the muffler modification. These are actually pretty nice saws and will be missed when they're gone by some for sure. While they might not be best in class for some things, they're pretty good medicine for most things and makes for a pretty capable cutter overall.

ZERO

Simple Life
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of, the limiters on the carburetor of the 390 are fairly robust and I also leave them in as full adjustment can be achieved with a Husqvarna/Poulan spline tool which I include with the saw if need be.

If that is not great customer service, then ... :)

Steve also included a TORX driver that I thought I would never need to use for my assembly, until I went to grab my TORX set in the same location and it was not there. Come to find out, some JOKER decided to borrow it without telling me and without returning it back to its location.

Steve's customer service put a very big smile on my face as I could proceed with the task at hand.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If that is not great customer service, then ... :)

Steve also included a TORX driver that I thought I would never need to use for my assembly, until I went to grab my TORX set in the same location and it was not there. Come to find out, some JOKER decided to borrow it without telling me and without returning it back to its location.

Steve's customer service put a very big smile on my face as I could proceed with the task at hand.

I've always said, I can't make a saw happy, the saw owner on the other hand, I can at least try. ;)

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This cut report is different in that I didn't build the saw, someone else did. That's right, I repaired it for a customer of mine. All saws need maintenance and repairs at some point, even ported ones. When I repair them I retain what the original builder did for port work, I also do not put a wheel to the saw and try and find their "recipe" I have them of my own that I spent lots of time coming up with, I don't need someone else's clogging up the works so to say. Main emphasis is on trying to save or salvage the valuable ported cylinder and replace the piston if damage has been done, besides getting to the root of the cause of the problems and repairing that as well. After everything is done customer will have a saw with its original value still intact as it is stall the original builders saw, all I did is keep it running longer.
Also, if a video is made of the saw running it is just for the owner to see that it indeed is back in shape and ready for the return trip home as you can well see...

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This here cut report is on an oldie but a goodie 1100cd that was saved with a new Duke's Piston and cinder kit from @Duke Thieroff
What with the old cylinder having the plating wear out of the bottom, which is a common problem with the 2100 cylinders, it's darn nice to have a quality substitute available. upon inspection the cylinder is a good looking specimen with nice modern looking ports with crisp clean lines to the edges and very smooth casting in the port areas. Next the plating does not lap into the port so it has got to be good not to peel, this may be good news for porting, possibly. The bore has been honed to size and upon doing the Jimmy drop test I have to say it was the best fit I've ever seen, a nice even float was had and so concentrically speaking it's very soundly made. Speaking of made it's also apparent it wasn't made in a mud hut or out in a sand lot with an old dude's feet, these folks do this for a living.
Anywhoo.... back to the cut reporting, this saw ran very well, running rich at just under 12,000 rpm is like what a ported one does. I wanted to keep it to like 10,500 or so, that didn't happen. The only thing touched on the cylinder was the exhaust port was given a light sand and polish, that's it. It was also installed with a Duke's base gasket. I did not try to tighten the squish at all. The saw does have an open side outlet muffler and a ever so slight timing advance as well as the governor deleted. Nothing crazy for mods. Chain is a full comp round ground Stihl brand chisel tooth and an eight pin sprocket.
The idle sound comes close to the original but the performance is much better in my observation. This is one heck of an option to get these old saws up and going again, only time will tell just how they hold up as well as I give them credit to.
You all can be the judge, again running rich, it can be leaned some after it breaks in.
I wouldn't be surprised if a 9 or 10 tooth sprocket could be deployed for some even speedier cutting.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
1:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This here cut report is on an oldie but a goodie 1100cd that was saved with a new Duke's Piston and cinder kit from @Duke Thieroff
What with the old cylinder having the plating wear out of the bottom, which is a common problem with the 2100 cylinders, it's darn nice to have a quality substitute available. upon inspection the cylinder is a good looking specimen with nice modern looking ports with crisp clean lines to the edges and very smooth casting in the port areas. Next the plating does not lap into the port so it has got to be good not to peel, this may be good news for porting, possibly. The bore has been honed to size and upon doing the Jimmy drop test I have to say it was the best fit I've ever seen, a nice even float was had and so concentrically speaking it's very soundly made. Speaking of made it's also apparent it wasn't made in a mud hut or out in a sand lot with an old dude's feet, these folks do this for a living.
Anywhoo.... back to the cut reporting, this saw ran very well, running rich at just under 12,000 rpm is like what a ported one does. I wanted to keep it to like 10,500 or so, that didn't happen. The only thing touched on the cylinder was the exhaust port was given a light sand and polish, that's it. It was also installed with a Duke's base gasket. I did not try to tighten the squish at all. The saw does have an open side outlet muffler and a ever so slight timing advance as well as the governor deleted. Nothing crazy for mods. Chain is a full comp round ground Stihl brand chisel tooth and an eight pin sprocket.
The idle sound comes close to the original but the performance is much better in my observation. This is one heck of an option to get these old saws up and going again, only time will tell just how they hold up as well as I give them credit to.
You all can be the judge, again running rich, it can be leaned some after it breaks in.
I wouldn't be surprised if a 9 or 10 tooth sprocket could be deployed for some even speedier cutting.

Looking good @Stump Shot

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had my Stumpshot 572 out again today. Burning little redwoods off the stump. Upper sonoma coast. I lost track of how many tanks I've put through it..but you can tell it's broke in, and at max power. Man it feels great! Loving it. My climber hadn't used this saw yet. I said try it, he fell and cut the biggest red of the day. He loved it.

Attachments

• 20220730_113747.jpg
    20220730_113747.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220730_094615.jpg
    20220730_094615.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 20

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No pics or vids because I'm a slacker that was too busy running a saw, but I took the 192t and the little 356 (350 + 346 = 356) that I just finished up out for a spin tonight to take care of a 8" dead fir next to the road. I used the 192 to fall the tree since I knew it ran good, but once the tree was dragged outta the road the 356 came into play. The dummy who re-assembled it reversed the rubber linkage protector so it held the throttle WFO, but once I got it flipped around it behaved flawlessly. It was nice and fast for limbing and I'm thinking it may become my new favorite "quick 'n' dirty" saw. We'll see.