Chainsaw build Horror stories

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably my biggest fail yet is my 361 Hybrid. Hung a ring at about an hour of run time. It’s going to take a new P&C and roughly 10 hrs of grinding to get it back to life.

I recently ported a 261 that ran great for about a day then the throttle vein in the carb came loose. It spit the screw all the way through the saw and into the muffler. Piston was wrecked but jug was okay. Pulse line tore while re-building. Finally got it back to life, but it wouldn’t oil. I pull the PTO side apart to find the clutch bearing has disintegrated, two broken clutch springs and a busted worm gear. It’s back to ripping but I kind of watch it with a side eye now.

My 394 converted to 395 also ingested a choke vein screw. Wasn’t lucky on that one. Piston and chamber are hammered to hell, screw imbedded in the piston. I shouldn’t have trusted that carb. I think it’s what killed the initial 394 p&c as well.

And then there’s the nightmare “port work” people sometimes bring me. Ports ground from the outside without disassembly, angle grinder base cuts, welded scrench art projects for mufflers, window screen air filters, all the good stuff.

When I ported my first 201t, I took it up a big Poplar removal. I started with a big topping cut. I fired the saw up, ran great. I disengaged the chain break and went to start my face cut and the clutch cover, bar and chain fell off the saw and to ground with the chain still spinning.😵‍💫

The very first saw I rebuilt was a 346xp. Knowing zero, I bought a $40 chinese cylinder kit and installed it. Well one of the circlips went missing during the build. I stole one from the dead piston and buttoned it up. I was excited and started it. It sputtered to life and idled so I blipped the throttle. The strange clang noise and instant stop indicated where that circlip had gone.

Mistakes make you humble I guess.

mainer_in_ak

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have had the nightmares of clutches, flywheels and muffler bolts that would rattle loose, no matter how clean the threads, or how tightly they were cinched down.

In all instances, loctite 680 retaining compound fixed the problem, permanently. No amount of extreme heat or vibration or exposure to oil will rattle loose loctite 680.......
20240517-135452.jpg

20240517-135445.jpg

20240324-155327.jpg

Last edited:

EFSM

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ports ground from the outside without disassembly
Seriously?! Wow.
A customer brought me a saw (357) once that was supposed to be ported. It was only gasket deleted and hacked on the intake some, if I remember right. The intake boot was leaking like crazy and the engine bearings were fierce noisy. It's amazing what kind of people call themselves mechanics.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have had the nightmares of clutches, flywheels and muffler bolts that would rattle loose, no matter how clean the threads, or how tightly they were cinched down.

In all instances, loctite 680 retaining compound fixed the problem, permanently. No amount of extreme heat or vibration or exposure to oil will rattle loose loctite 680.......
20240517-135452.jpg

20240517-135445.jpg

20240324-155327.jpg

I got lucky on this one, almost messed up the crank threads but I have a die just in case.IMG_1629.jpeg

Sloughfoot

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably my biggest fail yet is my 361 Hybrid. Hung a ring at about an hour of run time. It’s going to take a new P&C and roughly 10 hrs of grinding to get it back to life.

I recently ported a 261 that ran great for about a day then the throttle vein in the carb came loose. It spit the screw all the way through the saw and into the muffler. Piston was wrecked but jug was okay. Pulse line tore while re-building. Finally got it back to life, but it wouldn’t oil. I pull the PTO side apart to find the clutch bearing has disintegrated, two broken clutch springs and a busted worm gear. It’s back to ripping but I kind of watch it with a side eye now.

My 394 converted to 395 also ingested a choke vein screw. Wasn’t lucky on that one. Piston and chamber are hammered to hell, screw imbedded in the piston. I shouldn’t have trusted that carb. I think it’s what killed the initial 394 p&c as well.

And then there’s the nightmare “port work” people sometimes bring me. Ports ground from the outside without disassembly, angle grinder base cuts, welded scrench art projects for mufflers, window screen air filters, all the good stuff.

When I ported my first 201t, I took it up a big Poplar removal. I started with a big topping cut. I fired the saw up, ran great. I disengaged the chain break and went to start my face cut and the clutch cover, bar and chain fell off the saw and to ground with the chain still spinning.😵‍💫

The very first saw I rebuilt was a 346xp. Knowing zero, I bought a $40 chinese cylinder kit and installed it. Well one of the circlips went missing during the build. I stole one from the dead piston and buttoned it up. I was excited and started it. It sputtered to life and idled so I blipped the throttle. The strange clang noise and instant stop indicated where that circlip had gone.

Mistakes make you humble I guess.
Got me paranoid about carburetor vane screws. 😨
*fixed

Last edited:

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today I pulled apart a 460 I picked up months ago as a builder saw. I've never seen this happen before. This is how it was when I pulled it apart.

Attachments

• IMG20240809135451.jpg
    IMG20240809135451.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG20240809135505.jpg
    IMG20240809135505.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG20240809135524.jpg
    IMG20240809135524.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 37

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few years back I picked up a old mcculloch 10-10 at the dump. I had the flywheel off to clean the points. I titened the flywheel nut down with a inpact BAD idea. I didn't crank the nut down enough. The saw ran great for a few minuets, then went pop. I took the shroud off and the crank had split in half!

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes sense to me that it may not hold without a bar and chain. Sudden deceleration could cause it to loosen, couldn't it?

Crank stops, clutch and drum want to keep going. 99/100 it may not happen, but it could and apparently does.
I've had it happen on a poulan and a craftsman.

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man alot of these are nuts Like the guy with the bar between his legs. From what I've seen on this post nobody fragged their hand or hands on any malfunctions? Unless I missed one. It's astonishing really.. the speed these engines will spin with literal explosions happening every second and when the go boom boom nobody taking shrapnel to the face. I haven't faced any chainsaw malfunctions yet. Keyword yet.. but when I was younger I had one of them knock off dirt bikes from shucks when that was still a thing. I was riding it one day and the flywheel cover blew off sending shrapnel into my leg. I was like 8 or 9 at the time. I remember getting really angry (typical young ginger kid angry) because my father wanted to take /forced me to the hospital and i wanted to hop on my new 4 wheeler that we had literally bought a few hours before (Polaris 400 sport 2 stroke) never mind the fact that my leg was gushing like a geyser. I guess the shock of things really took away my pain. I remember what happened when we took it into a repair shop the guy actually ended up doing the repair for free because he felt the same fearful pain my father had suffered that day. because apparently the same thing happened to his son on a bike made by the same company only it was bigger. IDK if any of you know the manufacturer I'm talking about but I know they had a red 80cc (the model i had) and the next size up was either 110 or 125 it was black but had the same wheels as the 80 despite it being a bigger bike.