Pic thief;)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The previous comment about a pop up piston needs some comment .A cut pop up on a stock piston will not raise the compression. Because you are removing a portion of the piston face it will actually lower it but in effect raise the exhaust port . To raise the comp you have to mill the cylinder base just like using a flat top piston .
All a cut pop up might do is improve the scavenging above the intake port which may or may not be an improvement .
Now if you could find a piston that had a higher pin to face distance you could pop it and gain comp .What that piston could be I have no idea .I'm sure if you had enough money Wisco would make you one or a dozen .

Glennmac

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like the cool pop up piston in my 034 has to go due to lack of compression, so, at this point is it better to go with a Meteor, 46mm piston set, or get a 48mm cylinder set and have essentially an 036? In other words is the KS cylinder special enough to save?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like the cool pop up piston in my 034 has to go due to lack of compression, so, at this point is it better to go with a Meteor, 46mm piston set, or get a 48mm cylinder set and have essentially an 036? In other words is the KS cylinder special enough to save?

I'd keep the KS and grab a Meteor piston.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Short of blowing the bottom end , I consider the saw a rebuildable item so I'll try just about any combination of cylinders and pistons. I recently built an 034 with an AF market big bore pop up kit , so far I'm pretty pleased with it. I have about 10 tanks through it now and dropped 5 trees with it cut alittle fire wood.
I don't sell saws as a occupation though or professionally build them , so I feel like if it grenades its self I'm the only one affected. If something doesn't work well I post about it if it's relevant, but I have 180.00 bucks in the running saw which includes the 25" ES Bar and its fun to use.
Ps. The oiler sucks

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A cleaned up OEM cylinder is better than pretty much any aftermarket jug. You mention having time to check it out so eventually you'll get a chance to learn.
Build quality absolutely! Some of the AFM ones are literally unusable.
That being said I don't have a lathe to drop my cylinder and deck the piston to make a pop up, and the increase of compression that I achieved with the kit is pretty great , the results (for me) were better than expected.
If the oem factory put out a kit like this I would definitely buy it , but if your in the business of selling saws it might not behoove you to make a kit like that.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just by getting a proper piston and thus a better squish, and then more compression and better running saw, that’s after the rings have broken in. I'd probably hone the cylinder abit as well while I was in there.

so as others say oem or meteor piston is your choice :);)

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Just because it’s a KS jug, it doesn’t mean the performance will be better.

It’s not so special, but it should run well with a meteor piston. A 48mm oem used jug with a 48mm meteor will be a performance upgrade even if it’s a Mahle jug. You can use an 036 jug, but if you can find the rarer 034S jug it’s more plug and play.

Glennmac

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Short of blowing the bottom end , I consider the saw a rebuildable item so I'll try just about any combination of cylinders and pistons. I recently built an 034 with an AF market big bore pop up kit , so far I'm pretty pleased with it. I have about 10 tanks through it now and dropped 5 trees with it cut alittle fire wood.
I don't sell saws as a occupation though or professionally build them , so I feel like if it grenades its self I'm the only one affected. If something doesn't work well I post about it if it's relevant, but I have 180.00 bucks in the running saw which includes the 25" ES Bar and its fun to use.
Ps. The oiler sucks

My oil pump is the non adjustable version. It is missing a couple of small parts. Any suggestions?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Somebody said something about enlarging holes a tad bit on the bars might help with oil distribution .Some are a tad tiny .
I just went out in my garage and took a peek .The actual bars sold by and labeled as Stihl have a small hole .The Oregons have a larger hole .
Now if you have the Oregon some have the oil hole going straight through .Those make a gasket from an aluminum beverage can to stop the oil from shooting straight through and that will improve the amount that gets on the chain

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Look forward to playing w my 360 soon, that KS for the information @drf256. Have to swap in a good crank first.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The previous comment about a pop up piston needs some comment .A cut pop up on a stock piston will not raise the compression. Because you are removing a portion of the piston face it will actually lower it but in effect raise the exhaust port . To raise the comp you have to mill the cylinder base just like using a flat top piston .
All a cut pop up might do is improve the scavenging above the intake port which may or may not be an improvement .
Now if you could find a piston that had a higher pin to face distance you could pop it and gain comp .What that piston could be I have no idea .I'm sure if you had enough money Wisco would make you one or a dozen .

The real reason for cutting a pop up piston instead of cutting the squish band is to change the intake timing only. After the base is cut to set the squish tolerance properly, compression will be raised as a byproduct of the operation.
The function of the upper transfers is hampered slightly from the turbulence caused by the pop up, necessitating a different grind scheme.
Most builders won't pull out this trick unless an unusually oddly timed cylinder comes along, as they can get a better job with a flat top piston in most instances.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that I got the theory on Ford automobile engines not from whatever somebody else did on a chainsaw engine .It worked well on certain four cylinder engines and the present .slightly altered Jaguar design V-6's .
One version on the now obsolete 460 cubic inch V 8 used this plus 4 or 5 other piston designs depending on the intended use of the engine .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's all academic .Neither correct or incorrect .From my perspective it's one of those things that has been proven to work but perhaps not in all applications .