stihl vs. husky

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OP has a wealth of top advice from our knowledgeable members. Definite factors mentioned so far include; high output oiler, shiny reduced weight bar aka Sugi light, full wrap handle bar, exotic full synthetic bike oil (buy a selection of quarts as none will tune right so having many brands will make you feel good inside), pro saw...for the 1 job you have planned this is a must, lots of displacement... you may think 50-60cc's is good but 70-90cc's is better. The only thing I can add to the wealth of good advice is perhaps a Simington grinder to keep your chains going strong and if the OP is capable with metal fab, he can cut/weld up a quick expansion chamber so this one job don't take longer than necessary. Also learn to run the saw one handed so you can film the saw for us to see. We'll time your cuts, check the rpm and tune & be on standby to offer more advice and help. Good luck

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OP has a wealth of top advice from our knowledgeable members. Definite factors mentioned so far include; high output oiler, shiny reduced weight bar aka Sugi light, exotic full synthetic bike oil (buy a selection of quarts as none will tune right so having many brands will make you feel good inside), pro saw...for the 1 job you have planned this is a must, lots of displacement... you may think 50-60cc's is good but 70-90cc's is better. The only thing I can add to the wealth of good advice is perhaps a Simington grinder to keep your chains going strong and if the OP is capable with metal fan, he should fab up a quick expansion chamber so this one job don't take longer than necessary. Learn to run the saw one handed so you can film the saw for us to see. We'll time your cuts, check the rpm and tune & be on standby to offer more advice and help. Good luck

Don't forget the full circle crank..lol.

He needs a square filing vise too..

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
5:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The OP has a wealth of top advice from our knowledgeable members. Definite factors mentioned so far include; high output oiler, shiny reduced weight bar aka Sugi light, full wrap handle bar, exotic full synthetic bike oil (buy a selection of quarts as none will tune right so having many brands will make you feel good inside), pro saw...for the 1 job you have planned this is a must, lots of displacement... you may think 50-60cc's is good but 70-90cc's is better. The only thing I can add to the wealth of good advice is perhaps a Simington grinder to keep your chains going strong and if the OP is capable with metal fab, he can cut/weld up a quick expansion chamber so this one job don't take longer than necessary. Also learn to run the saw one handed so you can film the saw for us to see. We'll time your cuts, check the rpm and tune & be on standby to offer more advice and help. Good luck
You forgot the jet pack to top trees with ease

nightwolf1974

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
f
What do you mean by "serious cutting" ? .
The amount of time you have the saw in your hands on a day to day basis will give a better indication of what you may find better for the job. What size you are cutting and is it green or dry..on the level..slopes..felling and bucking.....and so on. More info will make the choices better targeted.

first off i probably run a chainsaw for an average of 30 to 60 minutes a season. i mainly do line trimming, a few small lawn jobs, pruning, and some minor landscaping. the living trees i need to fell are on average 6" to 8" in diameter. they have to be limbed, cut to 4' lengths, and taken away. the surface in mostly level. and i have to cut about 12 of them.....in a short time period due to the lot being close to a business area. i do have 2x old mac pro 610 saws, but this job will pay for an upgraded saw.

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
f

first off i probably run a chainsaw for an average of 30 to 60 minutes a season. i mainly do line trimming, a few small lawn jobs, pruning, and some minor landscaping. the living trees i need to fell are on average 6" to 8" in diameter. they have to be limbed, cut to 4' lengths, and taken away. the surface in mostly level. and i have to cut about 12 of them.....in a short time period due to the lot being close to a business area. i do have 2x old mac pro 610 saws, but this job will pay for an upgraded saw.
If this is what your job entails...... a 455 will do you just fine. [emoji106]

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
f

I would choose the lighter of the two or something lighter.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
11:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had this 455 a while back, OK saw for the market it is aimed at. This one was a 2008 model I think and it came to me not running. I found out the metering lever had jammed against the carb body. It was a non tampered carb too. Bit of an odd one. Apart from that everything else was fine and dandy even if it was a big lump of lard for 55cc. When fixed it probably was on a par with an old bone stock 154se.

IMAG0828_BURST002.jpg

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
f

Ok then .....If your looking for a upgrade and that upgrade is to be used on the work your already doing then from "My" point of view you don't need a saw with a 20" bar . I would go for a semi pro, or if your finances or preference allow .. a pro class compact (40 or 50 cc class ) saw with a 15..16 " bar . Both Husqvarna and Stihl have what you want plus Dolmar -Makita and Echo . Your dealer situation could be something you want to take into account if you go with the Stihl and Husqvarna saws that have Auto tune and Mtronic . I wont tell you what I would get but i will put forward a few for you to look over from the two manufacturers you mentioned in semi and pro order. Husq 545 and 550...stihl ms 251 and 241 . There are more makes to recommend but as you only mentioned Stihl/Husq thats where i will keep the specifics unless you ask for more detail. Others have given you plenty to think over if you feel like doing so . Any of the above are more than up to your needs and beyond ...IMO.. and are a good neat , handy package of power, size, weight and build quality.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd vote Echo 590 myself. I don't know much about the 6100.

I personally cleared 36 cords of wood (for my pool) with my echo 330T and a wild thing. With a sharpened chain, they didn't miss a beat. By cleared, I mean felled and cut to log length. The 330T worked for another 9 years here and then was sold to a member here (dumb move in my part) still running fine. The wild thing still runs fine, but may plastic parts are broken and so is the chain brake.

The better homeowner models can be more durable than one thinks. It may take him another hour or so, that's a factor that needs to be figured out by the OP. The echo 590 has all the pro saw goods in it with the homeowners price. Best value out there right now.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If he needs a saw smaller than a 20" and a pro saw is a consideration, then a dolmar 421 for the $$$$ and if there's $$$ to spend then a ms241c on the smaller end of saws

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of good options listed. Could get two...heck get three! Husky395 or Stihl 660. a Dolmar/Makita 7900 and a Poulan. Youll probabably run over one of your saws with the truck at some point....make sure its the Poulan!:eeek:

Joking aside. Im very impressed with my Echo 590 so far. Purchased new at the local Echo/Stihl dealer. Paid $375 out the door tax included with a few extras as well. Not surprising, its like the Toyota of saws. Not the lightest or fatest in its class....Its starts and runs every time. Cant say i have much experience with Stihl pro saws....just a lowly 039. Have a couple Makita 6401s. Excellent saws.

If your getting just one saw id vote Dolkita 7900!:dancer2: