High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

stihl vs. husky

nightwolf1974

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
this fall i have a contracted job that requires some serious cutting with a chainsaw. i'm not really a pro with a saw, but i can use them. i have to buy a "good" saw for this job. this job alone will more than pay for the saw i buy.
i've narrowed it down to a stihl ms 311 20" and a husky 455 20". i know both are good saws. but is one better than the other?
any info would be helpful.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Skip the home owner saws and buy a pro saw. You wont regret it, either brand as well as dolmar/makita have excellent offerings. There are some echo models that are also fantastic, a 620 comes to mind. I also dig my Jonsered.

I guess what I'm saying is...have an open mind to brand and model :)

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
this fall i have a contracted job that requires some serious cutting with a chainsaw. i'm not really a pro with a saw, but i can use them. i have to buy a "good" saw for this job. this job alone will more than pay for the saw i buy.
i've narrowed it down to a stihl ms 311 20" and a husky 455 20". i know both are good saws. but is one better than the other?

Of the two you listed I would buy the 455 simply because unless you straight gas one they are basically unbreakable. I would however tend to agree that a Pro saw would be a better long term investment, 562XP/2260 is a great lifetime saw.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of the two you listed I would buy the 455 simply because unless you straight gas one they are basically unbreakable. I would however tend to agree that a Pro saw would be a better long term investment, 562XP/2260 is a great lifetime saw.
wheres the dislike button

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would also steer you in the direction of the 455, I have the 460 myself and is the most dependable saw I have, always starts, never a fuss. While I do have the luxury of bigger Pro saws, I still use the 460 more as it is a pleasure to use. Also I would add that support is good from Husqvarna. You can order parts online, heck, you can get the saw online as well. Something you're not going to do with a Stihl. A good dealer becomes more important with the Stihl vs the Husqvarna, where you have more options. Otherwise both good saws. As far as going with a Pro saw, that is something you will have to decide if the extra money is worth the nicer cutting saw. Both Manufacturers make good ones.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Really...lifetime.....If you have a box full of bearings lol

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you forgot loctite extra screws and 20:1 mix ratio lol

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wouldnt buy either of those you mentioned. I'd take myself over to the Classifieds and buy one of those stihl 044s. Either the 10 mm one or the 12 listed for five bills. You will have one of the greatest saws ever made. That is damn near bulletproof and can handle almost any thing that you will get into while cutting. I would not start a big job with the homeowner saw.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What do you mean by "serious cutting" ? .
The amount of time you have the saw in your hands on a day to day basis will give a better indication of what you may find better for the job. What size you are cutting and is it green or dry..on the level..slopes..felling and bucking.....and so on. More info will make the choices better targeted.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The amount of time you have the saw in your hands on a day to day basis will give a better indication of what you may find better for the job. What size you are cutting and is it green or dry..on the level..slopes..felling and bucking.....and so on. More info will make the choices better targeted.

I was waiting for a post that made sense.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I would add to that experience level as well. No sense getting something you're really not ready for either. Nothing wrong with working your way up.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since you want to run a 20" bar and the job will pay for the saw, a pro saw is the best choice. You have several good options:

Husqy 562: the king of its class and auto tune
Stihl 362: great saw with best resale value and m-tronic
Echo 590 or Dolmar 6100: best saws for the money, can be bought cheaper than the first 2 (significantly cheaper at times), easy to start, reliable, 5 yr warranty on Echo