stihl vs. husky

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
12:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of the two you listed I would buy the 455 simply because unless you straight gas one they are basically unbreakable. I would however tend to agree that a Pro saw would be a better long term investment, 562XP/2260 is a great lifetime saw.
Being that he said the job will easily pay for the saw I would consider the 562xp also or the Dolmar 6100 over the 455 or 311

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If 'Normally' you're running a saw for only an hour or less, a couple days a week, I would consider a battery saw to keep on the truck, and then go with the 455 for the 'all day' jobs. Just drain the fuel and run it dry when you're storing it, and it should start right up when you need it again, with fresh fuel mix. You might be a perfect candidate for canned pre-mix, which will keep (unopened) on the shelf. Just toss the left over fuel in your lawn mower or something to use it up when the job is done.

nightwolf1974

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
If 'Normally' you're running a saw for only an hour or less, a couple days a week, I would consider a battery saw to keep on the truck, and then go with the 455 for the 'all day' jobs. Just drain the fuel and run it dry when you're storing it, and it should start right up when you need it again, with fresh fuel mix. You might be a perfect candidate for canned pre-mix, which will keep (unopened) on the shelf. Just toss the left over fuel in your lawn mower or something to use it up when the job is done.

what i do with old macs is drain them when done....i burn lots of mixed gas. i just put in the mowers or into 4wheeler (2 stroke also). i don't let it sit long, not longer than 3 weeks at most.....damn ethanol!!

oh yah...i did go with the 455, btw. just love it!!! i might buy a 240 for pruning trees also. my father was a stihl man in the 70s and 80s....when they felt like real saws. the 455 is a powerhouse compared to my old mac 610s(which are still good saws), and lighter too!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
12:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what i do with old macs is drain them when done....i burn lots of mixed gas. i just put in the mowers or into 4wheeler (2 stroke also). i don't let it sit long, not longer than 3 weeks at most.....damn ethanol!!

oh yah...i did go with the 455, btw. just love it!!! i might buy a 240 for pruning trees also. my father was a stihl man in the 70s and 80s....when they felt like real saws. the 455 is a powerhouse compared to my old mac 610s(which are still good saws), and lighter too!
After you started this I noticed that my local Lows stopped selling the 460 and 455 so there quality must improved lol.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl , 029,290,310,039,390 are all the same saw with larger or smaller p&c...from the looks the 311,391 are the same with strato and maybe filter upgrade.....still just camshell consumer saws. I have an 039 bought used in great shape from craigslist....$200 with a nearly new 28" es bar and rs chain....its been a good saw, havent used it much, muff mod made it better.....that said for the kind of money your talking about spending.....wouldnt even consider a 311. $500- for an overweight/underpowered consumer saw? If you absolutely narrowed it down to the 311 or 455...get the 455...based on all the expert advice here( im no expert). If it were me id buy neither.....too many great saws in that price range.

Last edited: