Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ported moe-fro saw with a tsumura light and a hand filed square chisel chain with the best bike oil .. it wont work any other way.

Id buy a 6100/2258/555 .. but its his money and everyone elses opinion.

At least this answer coming from your experience is good honest advice. Most are just peoples favorite saw. I think the guy wanted to know which was better the 311 or 455? Poor guy is probably more confused now than before he started, that is if he didn't get smart and run like the wind. He also sounded like a beginner, who would hand a full on ported 440 or 372 to a new ground guy, no one I would hope, that's what 455's are for, get the person broken in, until he or she can handle a better saw.

Those three saws listed here ^ are very good choices and if the OP thinks of alternatives to his original post these would be a sound option to explore. Otherwise I'll stick by the 455 being the better of the two IMHO. :)

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
455 all day long.
No question!
They are very durable. And will cut just about anything you want. My only saw for 20 years was a 55. If I needed to cut bigger wood I put a longer bar on it. It's still reliable to this day. Only ever changed air filter and plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At least this answer coming from your experience is good honest advice. Most are just peoples favorite saw. I think the guy wanted to know which was better the 311 or 455? Poor guy is probably more confused now than before he started, that is if he didn't get smart and run like the wind. He also sounded like a beginner, who would hand a full on ported 440 or 372 to a new ground guy, no one I would hope, that's what 455's are for, get the person broken in, until he or she can handle a better saw.

Those three saws listed here ^ are very good choices and if the OP thinks of alternatives to his original post these would be a sound option to explore. Otherwise I'll stick by the 455 being the better of the two IMHO. :)

Thats the problem with these forums.

A new guy will join that is just lookin for advice on what he should buy to do a little job or something along those lines with no intention of future masturbation to his chainsaws and he gets hammered with the polishing posse's personal favorite saw and ends up more confused that he was to begin with...the guy asked about a 455 and a 311 .. i think theres obviously better options in that size/price bracket and offered my personal opinion in that range...but if hes set on those 2 i guess id get a 455 .. its his money.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im not so sure it will outcut it .. and if so by how much ?

But id probably pick the 455 too.
Hadn't compared in times Ryan but the 311 is a lazy heavy saw compared to the 455 IMO. I work on both but prefer the build of the 455 all day long and the cutting attitude. Not a fan of the 290, 291, 311, or 391. I like the MS250 pretty good but they just don't hold up if pushed really hard

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The worn out 455 I tuned up for a tree service was on its 6 th year and handle was smashed spark plug almost blown out of cylinder along with the usual tree service specials like a clogged old gas filter and air filter. It cut pretty good for a beat up homeowner saw imo. It impressed me how durable it was. Id take one over a 290/310/390 any day. Easy to work on as well. There are better options for the money but 455 ain't a bad saw. I'd be buying a echo 590 if I was limited to 400$.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a good rep for a 455 coming from someone with a list of equipment like u have in your signature!:)
I've got a lot more saws got tired of typing lol
I personally like the 455s not knocking the 311 i know they are good saws i service many for people.
I just prefer the 455 everyone is different i would try both if possible.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a lot more saws got tired of typing lol
I personally like the 455s not knocking the 311 i know they are good saws i service many for people.
I just prefer the 455 everyone is different i would try both if possible.
Off topic but how do u like the Chinese 372?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats the problem with these forums.

A new guy will join that is just lookin for advice on what he should buy to do a little job or something along those lines with no intention of future masturbation to his chainsaws and he gets hammered with the polishing posse's personal favorite saw and ends up more confused that he was to begin with...the guy asked about a 455 and a 311 .. i think theres obviously better options in that size/price bracket and offered my personal opinion in that range...but if hes set on those 2 i guess id get a 455 .. its his money.

"Polishing Posse", the words I lacked, noted and saved for future use.