Stihl M-Tronic Version 3.0

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To my knowledge, v2.0 was never released here...., only in Europe and the former Eastern Bloc region. And if an M-tronic saw is running well, by all means, start f**kin' with it so it doesn't. Then blame Stihl. LOL

The history of the coils and solenoids is fairly well documented if one does a little homework..., or reads this whole thread. Carbs are another issue in their own right, but there are certain combinations that clearly work well together and others that simply don't or won't.

I'm still waiting for the backward compatible universal solenoid that fixes every M-tronic problem. Yeah, right.

BTW, the firmware version on the rear handle sticker only began with v3.0 from everything I've seen and read. Otherwise, you need to check the ECM to correlate the unit number to the release version.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just so you girls know..

I just bought a new 261 last week. It's manufacture date is 1/20 and has the 3.0 moronic.

There was another one there with a manufacture date of 12/19 that had a white solenoid but no 3.0 moronic.

Moral of the story is that a white solenoid is not a dead giveaway for version 3.0 in these 261s, you gotta look on the tank handle.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just so you girls know..

I just bought a new 261 last week. It's manufacture date is 1/20 and has the 3.0 moronic.

There was another one there with a manufacture date of 12/19 that had a white solenoid but no 3.0 moronic.

Moral of the story is that a white solenoid is not a dead giveaway for version 3.0 in these 261s, you gotta look on the tank handle.
Is this new 261 the model that has all the new updates? Seems like I read here that it was lighter with a magnesium piston and a few other things. Or is it just the model that has the V3 MTronic?

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this new 261 the model that has all the new updates? Seems like I read here that it was lighter with a magnesium piston and a few other things. Or is it just the model that has the V3 MTronic?

I have no idea porkchop.

I'd assume. You'll find out when you take mine apart.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
6:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just so you girls know..

Try to do a calibration with the 3.0 and see if the software in it is 3.0 or just the solenoid?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are the advantages of the software version 3 over 1 and 2?

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good question. Development goes on. The recalibration feature, if you change altiude significantly.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try to do a calibration with the 3.0 and see if the software in it is 3.0 or just the solenoid?

Mine is 3.0, it says so on the handle. Don't need to do the calibration to know which is which.

Read my post above.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To my knowledge, v2.0 was never released here...., only in Europe and the former Eastern Bloc region. And if an M-tronic saw is running well, by all means, start f**kin' with it so it doesn't. Then blame Stihl. LOL

The history of the coils and solenoids is fairly well documented if one does a little homework..., or reads this whole thread. Carbs are another issue in their own right, but there are certain combinations that clearly work well together and others that simply don't or won't.

I'm still waiting for the backward compatible universal solenoid that fixes every M-tronic problem. Yeah, right.

BTW, the firmware version on the rear handle sticker only began with v3.0 from everything I've seen and read. Otherwise, you need to check the ECM to correlate the unit number to the release version.

What was v2.0 ?, I was under the assumption that's what we have/had prior to 3.0.

The white solenoid is much better than the black as far as reliability goes. I'd say it's an upgrade.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 261cm ver 1. Not really sure what software I have. Not really sure what the differences are other than the obvious. Clutch cover on V2 is different. V2 is a tad lighter.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We only had v1.0 and 1.1 domestically. Perhaps @DND 9000 can shed light on the v2.0 deployment in Europe and other regions.

The solenoids were irrelevent to the version..., only coincidental to whichever software was used as they realized the problems inherent in the early solenoids and implemented improvements along the way..., arriving at the white one and the finer pickup body.., sort of coincident with v3.0, though I believe v3.0 ECM replacements for MS661's were being implemented domestically prior to the introduction of the white solenoid. I know the 15 micron filters came a bit later to compliment the 'sensitivity' of the white solenoid.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 261cm ver 1. Not really sure what software I have. Not really sure what the differences are other than the obvious. Clutch cover on V2 is different. V2 is a tad lighter.

It's confusing for sure.