Stihl M-Tronic Version 3.0

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We only had v1.0 and 1.1 domestically. Perhaps @DND 9000 can shed light on the v2.0 deployment in Europe and other regions.

The solenoids were irrelevent to the version..., only coincidental to whichever software was used as they realized the problems inherent in the early solenoids and implemented improvements along the way..., arriving at the white one and the finer pickup body.., sort of coincident with v3.0, though I believe v3.0 ECM replacements for MS661's were being implemented domestically prior to the introduction of the white solenoid. I know the 15 micron filters came a bit later to compliment the 'sensitivity' of the white solenoid.

All this version talk is difficult and makes it confusing. I think we should use the "language" that Stihl uses. So if we talk about v.3 it means it is a saw with m-tronic v.3. The previous m-tronic software versions can`t be named by us, because there is no documentation about it (only Stihl/Prüfrex or the developer knows this). Even if there is documentation about it, I have not seen it up to now.

The 1st. MS 261 with m-tronic came in 2013 and this MS 261 C-M was revised/updated in 2015. The updated version in 2015 (US production from serial 5 07 337 395 MS 261 C-M) got lighter, had the slanted fin cylinder and the new sprocket cover and some other changes. Now this saw was updated/revised again in 2019 for the 2020 release. The 2020 MS 261 C-M has the features which were posted some posts above this, by sawmikaze. This 2020 MS 261 C-M comes with m-tronic firmware v.3 and this m-tronic v.3 can be identified by the "M3.0" on the sticker on the front hand guard.

So again, I would use the "v.3" only if talked about the m-tronic version 3. That means we have the original MS 261 C-M from 2013, the 1st. revised MS 261 C-M from 2015 and now the 2nd. revised MS 261 C-M from 2020.

The finer orange pickup bodies came in 2018 on the saws. The smaller version of that pickup body (a set of 2) was used already from 2016 on the blowers BR 500 to 700.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All this version talk is difficult and makes it confusing. I think we should use the "language" that Stihl uses. So if we talk about v.3 it means it is a saw with m-tronic v.3. The previous m-tronic software versions can`t be named by us, because there is no documentation about it (only Stihl/Prüfrex or the developer knows this). Even if there is documentation about it, I have not seen it up to now.

The 1st. MS 261 with m-tronic came in 2013 and this MS 261 C-M was revised/updated in 2015. The updated version in 2015 (US production from serial 5 07 337 395 MS 261 C-M) got lighter, had the slanted fin cylinder and the new sprocket cover and some other changes. Now this saw was updated/revised again in 2019 for the 2020 release. The 2020 MS 261 C-M has the features which were posted some posts above this, by sawmikaze. This 2020 MS 261 C-M comes with m-tronic firmware v.3 and this m-tronic v.3 can be identified by the "M3.0" on the sticker on the front hand guard.

So again, I would use the "v.3" only if talked about the m-tronic version 3. That means we have the original MS 261 C-M from 2013, the 1st. revised MS 261 C-M from 2015 and now the 2nd. revised MS 261 C-M from 2020.

The finer orange pickup bodies came in 2018 on the saws. The smaller version of that pickup body (a set of 2) was used already from 2016 on the blowers BR 500 to 700.

So in stihl terms is there...V.1.- V.2., we already know about V.3 obviously.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We only had v1.0 and 1.1 domestically. Perhaps @DND 9000 can shed light on the v2.0 deployment in Europe and other regions.

The solenoids were irrelevent to the version..., only coincidental to whichever software was used as they realized the problems inherent in the early solenoids and implemented improvements along the way..., arriving at the white one and the finer pickup body.., sort of coincident with v3.0, though I believe v3.0 ECM replacements for MS661's were being implemented domestically prior to the introduction of the white solenoid. I know the 15 micron filters came a bit later to compliment the 'sensitivity' of the white solenoid.

The solenoids can't be irrelevant. You won't see a black solenoid in a v.3

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking software wise the ver1 saw and ver2 saw were the same. Only cosmetic differences and the slant fin cylinder for ver1 and ver2 differences.
Ver3 has all the good stuff.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking software wise the ver1 saw and ver2 saw were the same. Only cosmetic differences and the slant fin cylinder for ver1 and ver2 differences.
Ver3 has all the good stuff.

I think you got it. I thought the same..or similar.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Ver1 is still ticking. I got one backup black solenoid. I'll update to new stuff when I'm done with the parts I have.
Run it til its done.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So in stihl terms is there...V.1.- V.2., we already know about V.3 obviously.

I'm thinking software wise the ver1 saw and ver2 saw were the same.

I would not say that, because we all don`t know it. In the firmware, there are so many parameters and other things to run and control this whole thing. What I can say is that the control unit part no. changed 3 or 4 times during the life of the MS 261 C-M. So there were some changes, maybe in the fuel curves or ignition timing or whatever. I really bet that there were made some changes over the time, but we don`t know them.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
2:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An
I would not say that, because we all don`t know it. In the firmware, there are so many parameters and other things to run and control this whole thing. What I can say is that the control unit part no. changed 3 or 4 times during the life of the MS 261 C-M. So there were some changes, maybe in the fuel curves or ignition timing or whatever. I really bet that there were made some changes over the time, but we don`t know them.
Any ideas for the new dotted piston?

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No. Wasn`t it magnesium coated or something like that, can`t find it right now.

According to my post above this.Also field expieriences may result in different programming and parameter changes in the firmware. For example this was done on the 441 with the newer control unit/carburetor combination. And there are many many other reasons for changes like that.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The "M 3.0" is actually on the tank handle on my new one, not on the brake handle/hand guard.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have any pics Ryan? Of the new saw and the markings.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The version numbers refer to the M-tron control module firmware, not which clutch cover or other production changes are introduced during model feature revisions. The MS261C-M model evolution "versions" shouldn't be confused with which version of M-tron software is in the ECM of a given saw.

The "M 3.0" is actually on the tank handle on my new one, not on the brake handle/hand guard.
That's typically where it will be found on domestic saws according to a tech note I've seen somewhere (along with seeing them there personally). It may be in different locations on different models depending on where the "emissions label" and "material number" is located, though there would be no surprise with Stihl changing locations depending on which way the wind is blowing on a given day.

The M-tron version number being on the sticker began with v2.1 of the software which was the first version to use the calibration procedure vs. the earlier "reset" procedure for initially setting up the saw or otherwise re-establishing optimum operational parameters in the event of performance issues or major component replacement. An M-tron saw without a version number on the sticker is presumed to be pre-v2.1 (pre-v3.0 here) and requires the "reset' procedure vs. the calibration procedure. According to everything I've read, there were never any v2.x M-tron saws distributed here and we went directly from v1.1 to v3.0 firmware. As mentioned, that can probably be debated on the basis of subtle ECM firmware tweaks along the way, but public domestic version numbers in the states do not include v2.x implementations. That is probably irrelevant. LOL

The solenoids can't be irrelevant. You won't see a black solenoid in a v.3
Sure you will. Not common, and not on a new saw these days, but v3.0 firmware coils were available early on as upgrades for v1.0 and v1.1 coils on MS661's that still had black solenoids. I believe that upgrade may have migrated to 441's as well, but have no direct experience there. In other words, the solenoid doesn't determine (or care about) the version of M-tron software on a given saw. Some just work better than others. There were several black solenoid modifications along the way that were applied to any/all of the different versions of M-tron software/firmware in the field including early v3.0 implementations. They simply appear to have finally gotten it right with the white one and the finer pickup bodies. That said, if I had a v3.0 saw with a white solenoid that went south on me and a new black solenoid on the shelf, I'd hafta think long and hard about spendin' 80 bux for another white one until the spare black one went bad too..., even though Stihl claims they're not interchangeable. They are. (I understand their desire for conformity, but I understand my desire for practicality better.) They'll also tell you to replace a black solenoid with another black solenoid (which is known to be inferior to the white solenoids) because they have a million of em sitting on shelves and want to get rid of em at 40 bux a pop.

Sorry for getting so long winded here..., and back to the original point.

I'm thinking software wise the ver1 saw and ver2 saw were the same.
If there's no v3.0 designation on the sticker, the gen 1 and gen 2 model 261's are either M-tronic v.1.0 or v.1.1 firmware.

Apples and oranges between model changes and firmware versions.

Last edited: