High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 261 mtronic air filter options

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I guess I need to take a ride down to to the shop to show you guys how "great" this filtration system can be when you actually use it everyday..lol.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm. Mine is a version 1 and cut the outerwear cover right near the on/off lever.
I sanded down the little bump on the inside of the plastic top saw cover near the switch.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I got my 261 at CT GTG I put almost 4 tanks of fuel through the saw. When I got home there was no chips and only a slight dusting on the HD2 filter. That I thought was pretty good.
I put that outerwear cover on it and took it to NY GTG. I put about 2 tanks through the saw in NY. No signs of chips or dust at all.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never had a problem with the husky air injection. The 394 is 22 years old and filters the best out of all my stuff. No experience with the stihl version but can’t be too much different?

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How packed are the pleats actually getting? any pics? just curious is all. The pleats getting filled is really the whole idea IMHO, you should maintain good flow until they're completely filled to the top, and even then you should have a tiny bit of flow from the tips of the pleats. When you cover a flat area, that's it you're out of business no more flow, this is why pleats are used IMHO. I find compressed air blasts the fins away with ease. And no I don't cut that much anymore.:(

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How packed are the pleats actually getting? any pics? just curious is all. The pleats getting filled is really the whole idea IMHO, you should maintain good flow until they're completely filled to the top, and even then you should have a tiny bit of flow from the tips of the pleats. When you cover a flat area, that's it you're out of business no more flow, this is why pleats are used IMHO. I find compressed air blasts the fins away with ease. And no I don't cut that much anymore.:(

As much as the pleates packing bothers me I think the fines I see get through bothers me the most.

Is it an issue ? You guys are way smarter than I am.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When I got my 261 at CT GTG I put almost 4 tanks of fuel through the saw. When I got home there was no chips and only a slight dusting on the HD2 filter. That I thought was pretty good.
I put that outerwear cover on it and took it to NY GTG. I put about 2 tanks through the saw in NY. No signs of chips or dust at all.

Isn't that outerwear nice :)

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thats why i respect your opinion.

Nothing trumps experience.

That may be so doctor...

But why do guys have polar opposite experiences?

And why is there a 362 at our shop that has almost a kilo of fines that get past...and then some that don't ?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe u are on the money. Pleats increase the surface are also.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 460 will fill the top and right side pleats in a few tanks of fuel.

I oil the sealing ring. Something we did years ago on dirt track race cars.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What type of grease or oil does one use to seal the filter?

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What type of grease or oil does one use to seal the filter?

I just saved all the tubes of grease I got with huskys I bought and use that when I do it.

I'm gonna actually pay attention next time I do it and see if it makes a difference.

But the outwewears on these filters are awesome.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The main concern I had with these filters from day one is exactly what I believe is happening here. High frequency vibrations are causing the filters plastic body to vibrate and as such deform. This likely isn't an issue until the filter starts to get blocked, and the path of least resistance becomes around the seal. Using a radial seal was a bad idea, and I never liked it, authough in most cases it seems to work well. It's amazing what vibration can do when you watch slow motion video of fasteners on a Junker vibration tester.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TY sir
Whatever's handy. I have some axle grease in a tub in the garage. That works good. If the grease gun was closer I'd use that. Nothing fancy required.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The main concern I had with these filters from day on is exactly what I believe is happening here. High frequency vibrations are causing the filters plastic body to vibrate and as such deform. This likely isn't an issue until the filter starts to get blocked, and the path of least resistance becomes around the seal. Using a radial seal was a bad idea, and I never liked it, authough in most cases it seems to work well. It's amazing what vibration can do when you watch slow motion video of fasteners on a Junker vibration tester.
I don’t understand why it’s so hard to implement a screw clamp filter? Problem solved.