High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Stihl 026 not running

Donald026

Active OPE Member
Local time
6:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Pay attention to the order of cover, gasket, diaphragm on each side of carb. They are different side to side. Take pix along the way.
Thank you sir

I laid them out in the order they came apart.

And then swapped the new parts in from the old. Then I've just now sprayed the carb with carb cleaner and I am letting it dry.

Will be reassembling either later tonight or tomorrow morning. Probably tonight. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 15

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We all started somewhere. No question or issue considered dumb here, so ask away.

As for the airfilter, as was said above, you have a flocked filter without the flocking. That’s no bueno. The correct metal mesh filter is much much finer and CFB is showing you it.

You need a vacuum pump to test for vac leaks. It’s a wise investment if you’ll be working on saws for years to come. You can Jerry rig something to use pressure instead with an air compressor, but it really doesn’t replace a vacuum test.

Your filter flap, as seemingly normal as it seems to be, may still be your issue. Run the saw with and without the AF. Report back.

Donald026

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We all started somewhere. No question or issue considered dumb here, so ask away.

As for the airfilter, as was said above, you have a flocked filter without the flocking. That’s no bueno. The correct metal mesh filter is much much finer and CFB is showing you it.

You need a vacuum pump to test for vac leaks. It’s a wise investment if you’ll be working on saws for years to come. You can Jerry rig something to use pressure instead with an air compressor, but it really doesn’t replace a vacuum test.

Your filter flap, as seemingly normal as it seems to be, may still be your issue. Run the saw with and without the AF. Report back.
After replacing the fuel filter and the spark plug, cleaning the air filter, opening up the muffler, and rebuilding the carb. I reassembled the saw, added new bar oil and a fresh mix of premium shell 93 with stihl 2 cycle oil mixed 50:1 I started the saw up this morning. It took a little adjusting but I now have it idling without stalling and I have the high speed adjust so that it starts to 4 stroke at WOT. Everything seems to be good now. I'll have to get my hands on a new air filter. It's $30 Canadian here. But I understand the necessity in not allowing stuff to get through.

The real test will come this weekend when I head back to the cottage to finish cutting up the five trees I had taken down a few weeks ago.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
5:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last 026 filter I bought at the dealer was 27 usd and it was a flocked one.

Good deal on getting her going again

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Feel free to send your saw to the Silver Eagle Saw Shop up your way. Mike will make your 026 sing! He does great work.
I run all my 026s with metal mesh filter. I get them whenever anyone can smuggle them over. LOL
And do some research on oil. There is an oil thread with a million posts. Do yourself a big favor and run a minimum of 40:1. A little extra oil goes a long way toward longevity of your 026.

Donald026

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Feel free to send your saw to the Silver Eagle Saw Shop up your way. Mike will make your 026 sing! He does great work.
I run all my 026s with metal mesh filter. I get them whenever anyone can smuggle them over. LOL
And do some research on oil. There is an oil thread with a million posts. Do yourself a big favor and run a minimum of 40:1. A little extra oil goes a long way toward longevity of your 026.
Thank you very much for the oil advice. I'll put that 40:1 ratio into practice right away

Donald026

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Unsuitable fuels or mix ratios that do not comply with the specification can seriously damage the engine (piston seizing, excessive wear.)

at_5_sm_info-benzin_teaser_138x85.jpg

We recommend the following mix ratios:
for STIHL 1 : 50 two-stroke engine oil:
1 : 50 => 1 part oil + 50 parts petrol

For other high-quality two-stroke engine oil with the TC classification:
1 : 25 => 1 part oil + 25 parts petrol

Curious about this. I am using the stihl oil. Should I still go 40:1 or is 50:1 ok?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well...... Stihl oil gray bottle isn't that good, but still go 40:1 with it. The orange bottle oil may be better, but there are much better options out there.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unsuitable fuels or mix ratios that do not comply with the specification can seriously damage the engine (piston seizing, excessive wear.)

at_5_sm_info-benzin_teaser_138x85.jpg

We recommend the following mix ratios:
for STIHL 1 : 50 two-stroke engine oil:
1 : 50 => 1 part oil + 50 parts petrol

For other high-quality two-stroke engine oil with the TC classification:
1 : 25 => 1 part oil + 25 parts petrol

Curious about this. I am using the stihl oil. Should I still go 40:1 or is 50:1 ok?
Yes. In a nut shell they are more concerned about exhaust emissions than longevity. They don't mind selling you a new saw every so often...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. I was trying for it not to be.