So what's your "real" job?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's hilarious how some companies change managers over and over again, expecting a huge improvement. If the last 15 managers couldnt make any improvements, what makes you think number 16 will? The first dealership I worked for, I had five service managers in 3 years. My current government agency employer has made an about face in the six years I have been there, from almost always promoting from within to almost always hiring from outside. Doesnt make for good morale when people know that what they got is all they are ever going to get!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's hilarious how some companies change managers over and over again, expecting a huge improvement. If the last 15 managers couldnt make any improvements, what makes you think number 16 will? The first dealership I worked for, I had five service managers in 3 years. My current government agency employer has made an about face in the six years I have been there, from almost always promoting from within to almost always hiring from outside. Doesnt make for good morale when people know that what they got is all they are ever going to get!

After the my last department manager got fired 11 years ago he was never replaced. They found out it was a pointless position since we do jobs in order of payment.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
3:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
CAD designer at Morgan Motor Cars and previously at Ford and Land Rover. Trying to leave to be a full time farmer though rather than a part time family one, nothing beats the great outdoors.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
CAD designer at Morgan Motor Cars and previously at Ford and Land Rover. Trying to leave to be a full time farmer though rather than a part time family one, nothing beats the great outdoors.

Wow, really cool! Had no idea they were still in business. My uncle had a British car of that style back in the 80's, can't remember what brand though.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An old friend found a Morgan in a barn. This was back in the early 80s.
The car was about gone, beyond restoring.
He assembled the body on a jig , lots of bondo then made a mold off of it.
He then made a fiberglass body. built a tube frame and put a Mazda rotary engine in it.
He has passed away now but that car is still around bought by another friend.
A second one was built with another brand of motor but i don't know where it is.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, really cool! Had no idea they were still in business. My uncle had a British car of that style back in the 80's, can't remember what brand though.
It's cool to a degree. The work we do is unappreciated by the people higher up the ladder so it becomes a bit demoralising. I'll just play with saws and farm the land me thinks. The are now tbh incredible cars. The new flagship one weighs 1075kg and has 335hp BMW powered drivetrain.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Adam

I hope the site review works out in your favor. Doing what I do has severe consequences for all affected employees. I take that responsibility very seriously and make every effort to turn a site around versus closure. When I was younger and meaner, I just wanted to make a name, now that I've aged some, I just want to make a positive difference.

Most employees just want to go work, do their job, and go home. Management has a tendency to make things harder than they should be through asinine policies and outdated methodologies. Companies have a tendency to place great weight on a fancy business or engineering degree for their management and leave out the critical component of leadership. Contrary to what I was taught in the military, leadership cannot be taught. It is a talent a person is born with or not. You can put lipstick on a pig and train it to run real fast in circles but it will ever going to grace the cover of Vogue or win the Kentucky Derby.

I've always told the employees in the plant's I've been sent into that their future is in their hands. That we are all on the same team and all benefit when the company is profitable. At the end of the day, a company only exists to make a profit and pay dividends to its shareholders. By continuosuly treating employees poorly and thinking they know it all, managers can create a horrible work environment for all. By ineffectively managing the financials, they create a situation that requires immediate course correction to save the site. By ineffectively maintaining equipment, they create a situation where the capital required to return to as-built standards can be insurmountable. By not understanding the basic Six Sigma principle of y = (f)x, where output is a direct function of input (crap in crap out), they fail to understand the input side of the equation and always focus on the output side. And thereby continue to make the same stupid decisions that got them there. Combine poor decision making with ego and pride and the result is the necessity for guys like me to exist.

During this site review, I would recommend you keep an open mind and be willing to try something new. The old adage comes to mind - the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Most "hatchet men" are not bad guys, they just have tough choices to make. Most understand that their final report during a site review can have dire consequences for people who didn't run the ship aground but are on board just to make a living for their families. I don't enjoy the position but I've saved a hell of a lot more sites than I've closed. The same can be said for a lot of turnaround guys.

My prayer for this morning is that they sent you a good one.

I’ve witnessed the outcomes of folks not heeding the wall writing: it’s good to hear there are sensible people in your position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's cool to a degree. The work we do is unappreciated by the people higher up the ladder so it becomes a bit demoralising.
Tapatalk

Do tell. That is hard to believe [severe sarcasm] . With 40 years experience my company considered me the same as a new hire. Just another monkey with a screwdriver. I maintained the hardware and software on high level windows and linux servers and print controllers and million dollar commercial color printers. We were told by a VP that since we were not required to have a college degree we were considered unskilled labor. WTF!
A guy who hade already turned in his retirement paperwork told him to take his college degree and go fix a machine since he was so skilled. Then called him an a$$hole. So glad i retired. Now i fix lawn mowers.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always dreamed of working for a company that was worth being loyal to. My current one comes the closest but still lacking in many ways. At the same time I really can't complain, it's still miles ahead of anywhere else I've been.

TNason01

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the 18 months i have worked where i am now, only 2 or 3 people have been sacked, one didn't come to work for 3 months, and one was training people and issuing certificates without assessing them, no one even lost their job through covid, even though we have been quiet. Generally the bosses are pretty fair, and the pay is decent if it keeps going the same way, i hope to stick around for a while.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

No way! You work for Morgan? Awesome.

I just cut wood on a huge estate. Although, earlier, I was repairing a riding lawn mower...

Soon I'll be running a chainsaw bar on line site if things work out right.

I was making this thing smaller earlier today:

170860333.iC8ZEsyp.DSC_9783.JPG