So what's your "real" job?

M2theB

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the heavy wall we’ve done here takes 20-30 lbs of rod to fill. The thickest I ever welded by hand was 4.75” thick 9 chrome with a 20” inside diameter.

I was going to ask the material. I don’t think there is a lot of 9 chrome in the US nuclear fleet. Unless it’s where your at now.
How often does a 12 pass weld get RT’d in Nuke?pre and post heat treat is a big part of process.
Nice looking weld!

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the heavy wall we’ve done here takes 20-30 lbs of rod to fill. The thickest I ever welded by hand was 4.75” thick 9 chrome with a 20” inside diameter.
Just when you think you know how long welding can take you learn its not that long when someone talks extra heavy wall ;)

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to ask the material. I don’t think there is a lot of 9 chrome in the US nuclear fleet. Unless it’s where your at now.
How often does a 12 pass weld get RT’d in Nuke?pre and post heat treat is a big part of process.
Nice looking weld!

There’s none here that I know of actually. Almost everything is p11. We did 30% on a few but most we could look at the root on note scope we welded out completely.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just when you think you know how long welding can take you learn its not that long when someone talks extra heavy wall ;)

When we were teaching Koreans to auto welding it took 20 days for the first 20” 2.25” thick and they had 310 starts saved in the machine.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When we were teaching Koreans to auto welding it took 20 days for the first 20” 2.25” thick and they had 310 starts saved in the machine.

How many times did you hear the grinder start up to sharpness tungsten?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many times did you hear the grinder start up to sharpness tungsten?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quite a bit. They had diamond wheels for 4” grinders to touch it up in the tent around the weld. We had a Kentaro bench grinder that used small sanding belts

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find it really interesting that this place attracts some seriously skilled people of all different types of trades. Who would have thought chainsaws would bring so many people together

Right! I have personally met many great people and their families through this site. Its real neat to meet someone for the first time and sit down and talk like old friends. :)

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This extended Tax Season SUCKS!!!

I don't take new clients, but so many waited so long to get it done it is worse than the end of a regular Tax Season, and now is NOT when I want to be doing this stuff!

Seems new ones come in just as fast as I can finish the existing ones.

Frustrated and shot, can't wait till tomorrow is over! The last few days have just been intense, and all the late ones have "problems"!!!

Had to miss the ceremony today for my younger grandson to transition from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts.