High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

So what's the current two stroke oil favorite?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't say the oil I use is the best lots of good oils out there run whatever works. It's not hard to tell if an oil is performing good or bad if you know what you are looking for/at.
Good advice, it's been years since Ive changed oils so I kinda know how it's performing in multiple saws, clearing saws trimmers and the rest. Find something good that can be purchased locally at a sensible price and stick to it. The Shell oil I'm using I bought at 1/3 of MSRP when a Coles/Shell service station decided they were freeing up shelf space for candy bars. I bought everything they had. About 30 1 litre bottles!

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I'm cool with taking all the time that is needed to keep us all up to date, and on the same page. I didn't ban him till I realized just how much content he had deleted. I wasn't sure if there was anything else for him to delete.....but I think leaving holes in various threads was sorta *s-wordty.
How long did it take him to delete all those posts?
That's a lot of work

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He didn't send that to me.....but he sent my grandson two really nice Homelite saws. And it was appreciated.

That doesn't change anything about me having to moderate this forum though. We have a bunch of different people, who have a great many differences in personality, and backgrounds. I realize that it isn't possible for us to all enjoy each other's input here, but I can't allow any constant degrading of anyone. If I see anyone repeatedly making snide remarks about another member, I will call them out on it. Doesn't matter if the offender is the most popular, or the least.....I will still call them out. What happens next is up to them.
Well I heard you had chicken legs. All sort of other things like that on here. We better watch out we’re all on notice. Have a great day and I enjoy lots of posts here. We just need to take everything with a grain of salt. Like what you want and overlook what you don’t.
Not saying you were wrong banning anyone , I agree with you. just advice for lots of posts here. I used to not like GFY then I realized it was a Good For You. All depends on our attitude to each other.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm currently burning the last gallon of the free Stihl Ultra at 40:1. It seems to have worked well enough in my machines, of course my uses are pretty pedestrian compared to other folks here. Too many other good oils to choose from to mess with one that has such a poor reputation. Actually looking forward to trying the Husky oil that came with the weed eater I bought last year

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Times are tough I run waste oil and drain gas from the salvage yard.

I actually used to know a guy that worked in a junkyard and did this. If a wreck came in that had the oil changed somewhat recently he would drain it out for his own use. Of course, he also had a siphon in the tank as soon as the wrecker dropped it.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d like to Stir the Pot for $500 Alex...

When I was younger I worked at and eventually managed a Stihl dealership. That being said, I was buying all my oil at cost there, and using the Ultra @ 50:1 in my 661 since it was new (about 4-5 years of occasional logging on the side). Now I never had a failure or ring stick, or anything like that, but I did notice some scoring on the piston and even slightly on the cylinder in a few of my saws, and I always let them warm up... Fast forward to today: self employed logger now and with a greater knowledge of oils in general, I have been using Schaeffer’s 7000 @ 40:1 exclusively the last couple years. Again no failures, but the real interesting part is that the carbon that was on top of the piston in the 661 is gone now. It had a layer before. I enjoy a clean engine when I disassemble them, and a slightly oily one even more..

BlackGreyhound

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did Echo quit making the Red Armor oil? I noticed my local shop had Echo oil but with a different label.

I ended up buying the stihl ultra which everyone has me questioning after reading this thread.
My local dealer says the supply chain for the Red Armor is hit-or-miss. The other day he had just gotten a shipment, so I stocked up.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did buy a gallon of red armor. It’s been months ago. Haven’t cracked into it. Pretty satisfied it’s good stuff. Price wasn’t too terrible if I bought a gallon at a time. It’ll last a good while. I’m an oil ho so it’s likely I’ll have two open bottles. Red armor and who knows.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve burned a quart of the full synthetic hl is pushing. Raisman. It’s good enough. I’m pretty happy with what I saw the last time I had to open one up.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was using Makita synthetic oil in ported and non ported saws between 32:1 and 40:1 and the pistons, bores and combustion chambers were clean and well lubricated. I dont know if there was some spooky voodoo going on there or not, but it was wonderful in everything I had. When I worked for a tree service that I had a 660 ported for, after many hours of service felling and bucking large trees neither the piston or cylinder showed signs of transfer, excessive heat, or any wear what so ever.

It's what I used for years and still use, do with that what you will.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Cobby08 sent me his 661 a few years ago to port. I didn't know what oil he was using in it, but it looked really good inside. So I messaged him asking what he was running. His reply was like "oh no, what is wrong?"

I told him that nothing was wrong, and whatever he was using was working really well.

He was using Stihl Ultra at 50:1, and had been since the saw was new.

Randy, Julian got the same results when he documented the canned fuel test. I feel that the MTronic 661 operates at a slightly higher or lower operating temp that is more favorable to Ultra, hence the results. I don't see that same clean burning result in hardly any other models, and I work on a chit ton of equipment. I just tore town a MC261C and he too had only used Ultra (mostly canned and occasionally 50:1 non ethanol pump gas) and to no surprise there was a fair amount of carbon glazing on everything.

I try to keep my observations from what I see working on other peoples equipment to a one on one basis. I only share publicly when I know the owner is diligent in what and how he uses it. He's a carver, both wood and ice, and maybe that contributes to his issue, which I made mention of in the video. Not having the saw under full load consistently may be a factor. I'm not smart enough to say one say or the other, but his oil shouldn't dictate how he uses his saw. He's switched oils and I'll do a follow-up in the near future for science and stuff. Or more aptly how long his saw will live.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d like to Stir the Pot for $500 Alex...

When I was younger I worked at and eventually managed a Stihl dealership. That being said, I was buying all my oil at cost there, and using the Ultra @ 50:1 in my 661 since it was new (about 4-5 years of occasional logging on the side). Now I never had a failure or ring stick, or anything like that, but I did notice some scoring on the piston and even slightly on the cylinder in a few of my saws, and I always let them warm up... Fast forward to today: self employed logger now and with a greater knowledge of oils in general, I have been using Schaeffer’s 7000 @ 40:1 exclusively the last couple years. Again no failures, but the real interesting part is that the carbon that was on top of the piston in the 661 is gone now. It had a layer before. I enjoy a clean engine when I disassemble them, and a slightly oily one even more..

I feel the most important phrase in the quote is "when I disassemble them". I'm not a big fan of "I've used "X" for "X" long and haven't had a problem" as words to live by. Pull your top end and have a good look inside. It will tell you more about the oil you're using than the gossip from the sewing circle. I hope that didn't sound negative, as it wasn't meant to be.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tend to agree
I feel the most important phrase in the quote is "when I disassemble them". I'm not a big fan of "I've used "X" for "X" long and haven't had a problem" as words to live by. Pull your top end and have a good look inside. It will tell you more about the oil you're using than the gossip from the sewing circle. I hope that didn't sound negative, as it wasn't meant to be.
I’m not pulling anything apart if things are working. But the times I have were directly linked to problems. Last time I pulled one apart the ol 272 had shook a cylinder bolt loose. Caused obvious air leak. Figured piston wasn’t wrecked. No damage things looked pretty. That’s why I give the nod to the raisman full synthetic. Stinks a little like burnt plastic but I’d get more if it was on sale.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Exactly. I don’t just go pulling down saws for the hell of it, but I will pull a muffler and check things out periodically, or the spark plug and take a peak. It’s good to keep an eye on the condition of those important internal parts. A clean engine is a healthy, reliable engine. Carbon build up may not hurt performance at first, but it’s eventually going to show its nasty self and do damage.

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First off I wish all the fathers a happy father's day ! I'm a father of a 23 and 25 year old . I've read every oil thread and I love them all . I've been running Amsoil Dominator for the last year and a half . I try to mix at 40 to 1 but because I from gallon jugs into my moto cup it normally comes out to be 36 to 1 . I have a 550xp that is 2 1/2 years old . I use this saw for limbing. It has tons of hours on it and it blows up tomorrow the saws already paid for itself . I decided to pull the muffler today and look at piston . No Carbon and I can still see the cross hatching on the cylinder . My vote is for Amsoil Dominator .

Attachments

• 20220619_143834.jpg
    20220619_143834.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220619_161019.jpg
    20220619_161019.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 39

thinair

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A local tree company I work on saws for also uses Dominator and all their saws look clean inside after years of abuse. They have only had one saw blow up(365) and it put the rod through the block so I dont think the oil was the cause of that one.