High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

So what's the current two stroke oil favorite?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

kentuckyguy

Active OPE Member
Local time
12:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Did Echo quit making the Red Armor oil? I noticed my local shop had Echo oil but with a different label.

I ended up buying the stihl ultra which everyone has me questioning after reading this thread.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did Echo quit making the Red Armor oil? I noticed my local shop had Echo oil but with a different label.

I ended up buying the stihl ultra which everyone has me questioning after reading this thread.
Don’t believe so. Your dealer probably quit stocking it because most customers opted for the less expensive Echo Power Blend

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yes it's available at several dealer's here

D B Cooper

44:1 Bel-Ray MC1
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If you already have the stihl ultra use it up, but I would not buy any more of it.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two strokes can and do survive under some pretty full on conditions with the scantiest amount of oil. There are some clever things one can to to improve this like putting a bevel on the piston skirt to force oil onto the cylinder walls. Many clever tricks have successfully been adopted over the years. I wish the Eggshooter the best, we all chucked in a few bux a while ago and he was given a new ported saw on his doorstep which really cheered him up. I didn't agree with all his testing methods but saw little point being negative about it or being an ass for the sake of it. But he did collect a lot of useful data and put many hours into it. He also sent Randy a pretty cool old pedegree Homelite that looked fresh out of a 70's Homelite dealership. I don't forget that stuff, but every man has their breaking point lol.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you already have the stihl ultra use it up, but I would not buy any more of it.
Stihl Australia had a pretty nice oil at one stage which was a semi synthetic HP Premium or something. It was an FC or FD rated oil and ran real nice. The FB Ultra had all the poor combustion charactistics I despised when running full synthetic 2T oil. The F/Synthietic ultra was a high quality oil as its price reflected this but just didn't like being cooked in my saws, trimmers, blowers, hedge trimmers or pole saws lol.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
4:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem with your logic is that oil you love so much at 300:1 may not make the top 5 @40:1. A lot more to oil that just max wear protection @ extremes.
1. You don't really know me well enough to be calling me an "oil lover"

And B. The floor is yours. What would you like to share about 5 good 40:1 oils?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The insanity continues lol
Let's keep it relevant having a guess at it I'd say the best way to test what is a good oil for chainsaws would be actually run an oil in a chainsaw for starters? at a set ratio for minimum a thousand or so then pull it down and inspect.
Not sure how that could ever be replicated in a weed eater myself saws can be subjected to some harsh working conditions for an engine. plus a saw puts out more hp more bearing loads and piston loads, higher cleaner combustion the list goes on.. Chalk and cheese really a weed eater probably being one of the least high strung little engines out there.
But as I've said never bothered looking at the testing could have been saws getting run not just weed eaters IDK.

Last edited:

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
4:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The insanity continues lol
Let's keep it relevant having a guess at it I'd say the best way to test what is a good oil for chainsaws would be actually run an oil in a chainsaw for starters? at a set ratio for minimum a thousand or so then pull it down and inspect.
Not sure how that could ever be replicated in a weed eater myself saws can be subjected to some harsh working conditions for an engine.
But as I've said never bothered looking at the testing could have been saws getting run not just weed eaters IDK.
Roguey your real world torture test IS the test. Any issues getting what i use now, and i'd be Rogue Speccing it believe me.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Roguey your real world torture test IS the test. Any issues getting what i use now, and i'd be Rogue Speccing it believe me.
I wouldn't say the oil I use is the best lots of good oils out there run whatever works. It's not hard to tell if an oil is performing good or bad if you know what you are looking for/at.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm new to saws I've only ran and worked on them since the 80s
But of all the oils I've personally tried.
And all the saws I've worked on for people
Only Stihl ultra is the only oil
That has caused failure's.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He also sent Randy a pretty cool old pedegree Homelite that looked fresh out of a 70's Homelite dealership.

He didn't send that to me.....but he sent my grandson two really nice Homelite saws. And it was appreciated.

That doesn't change anything about me having to moderate this forum though. We have a bunch of different people, who have a great many differences in personality, and backgrounds. I realize that it isn't possible for us to all enjoy each other's input here, but I can't allow any constant degrading of anyone. If I see anyone repeatedly making snide remarks about another member, I will call them out on it. Doesn't matter if the offender is the most popular, or the least.....I will still call them out. What happens next is up to them.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think they got the pictures mixed up lol
Screenshot_20211227-224500_Chrome.jpg

I've only run a few tanks of Ultra couldn't stand the smell but from the pics guy's have put up over the years it seems to burn very dirty.

A guy years ago was chainsaw milling redgum with an ms880 running Ultra at 50:1 buggered if know how it didn't start smearing piston exhaust side usually 50:1 does that in the big saws. Ultra must be OK at protecting just burns dirty as..

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only run a few tanks of Ultra couldn't stand the smell but from the pics guy's have put up over the years it seems to burn very dirty.

@Cobby08 sent me his 661 a few years ago to port. I didn't know what oil he was using in it, but it looked really good inside. So I messaged him asking what he was running. His reply was like "oh no, what is wrong?"

I told him that nothing was wrong, and whatever he was using was working really well.

He was using Stihl Ultra at 50:1, and had been since the saw was new.

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you put good oil in bad gas, it's still bag gas.

I don't know much about oil, but the 50/50 red armor quaker state at 40:1 makes my saws turn over hard when its below 20 deg F until they warm up.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He didn't send that to me.....but he sent my grandson two really nice Homelite saws. And it was appreciated.

That doesn't change anything about me having to moderate this forum though. We have a bunch of different people, who have a great many differences in personality, and backgrounds. I realize that it isn't possible for us to all enjoy each other's input here, but I can't allow any constant degrading of anyone. If I see anyone repeatedly making snide remarks about another member, I will call them out on it. Doesn't matter if the offender is the most popular, or the least.....I will still call them out. What happens next is up to them.
Sure I understand. I don't know who said what or anything in relation to his termination nor am I all that interested. Was a bit weird to delete all his posts, he was obviously upset about something. I did notice a few weeks ago he had a little venom in his words to some members. That sort of stuff can't go on for ever. I'm not questioning your judgement boss.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not questioning your judgement

Well I'm cool with taking all the time that is needed to keep us all up to date, and on the same page. I didn't ban him till I realized just how much content he had deleted. I wasn't sure if there was anything else for him to delete.....but I think leaving holes in various threads was sorta *s-wordty.