So what did you do today?

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went out in the woods yesterday Mike. Was great. I haven’t been able to ride much at all this year, with everything going on.
27.5” wheels for me. I’m short. Lol
View attachment 259659
Nice bike,the kids and myself were riding quite a bit till fishing took off,looking to get back at it since its cooling off. I need to get some pics of our bikes. All are older but we upgraded lots of parts along the way to make them more up to date.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've ridden my Mtn Bike a few times this year, but only on the bike path. This was the first time this year it was actually "in the dirt".

Went to Fahnestock State Park with the wife and Step Son. Vin is 6'3" and NYPD. Vin had a clear advantage because of his age and his bike w/29" wheels (we have 26"). I wanted to upgrade, but they are back ordered till March!

Temps while riding were 50-55. Glad I was not road biking!

My son and I ride 26s Mike, personally I don't like the 29s,just don't feel right to me lol. Looks like y'all were having a good time.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to work, came home and helped my son with his 4H chickens, then finally got started grinding blades again. Finally received a backordered shipment of metal. Still got a few pieces of metal that are on backorder too. This one belongs to @CrystalRiver1
c2b381fc2dda56603d43551fb6cd0707.jpg

????
Is there another CrystalRiver1 on here...perhaps my "Evil Twin's Blade"???:smilie-devil:
I'm lost bro...

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Was it not all you were expecting?
Its an outstanding car. It exceeds all expectations. Its truly amazing at speed with handling. There is no doubt it was built to race on a track. I have a tendency to get bored with vehicles historically and was thinking of selling it out right and not replace it. Wife says no though. She drives it actually more than I do.

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I went out in the woods yesterday Mike. Was great. I haven’t been able to ride much at all this year, with everything going on.
27.5” wheels for me. I’m short. Lol
View attachment 259659

I had a 29” and didn’t like it. Went a different direction and wouldn’t go back to a skinny tire MTB every again.
5365cec90ca6652209eaf97515151377.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice bike,the kids and myself were riding quite a bit till fishing took off,looking to get back at it since its cooling off. I need to get some pics of our bikes. All are older but we upgraded lots of parts along the way to make them more up to date.

Thank you. I work for a shop, so I get good deals on bikes. If I wasn’t I wouldn’t be riding an S-Works. Lol
Mountain biking doesn’t have to be expensive to enjoy it. Run what you brung, and have fun. I have an older hard tail that’s been pieced together, and I ride that more the fancy bike.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 29” and didn’t like it. Went a different direction and wouldn’t go back to a skinny tire MTB every again.

That’s nice! A friend of mine has the same bike. Same color too. Lol
Nice touch with the green Turbine cranks!
I’ve had a couple of fat bikes over the years, and they’re just plain fun to ride!
I have a few 29ers now, and it’s just not right for me, for the terrain up here.
The 27.5 full suspension bike works very well for the tight and twisty trails we have. Down south, at a buddy’s house, I have a rigid single speed 29er. All the trails are smooth and buff, and 29ers are perfect for that kind of riding.
Bikes are like CAD... Can’t have too many! Lol

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I briefly rode my Step Son's 29" bike. Not as nimble as the 26", but when climbing a rocky hill it seems to have a big advantage.

Less impacted by rocks and roots, and a larger traction patch for the tire. Plus, the seat post drop option is great for steep downhills!

He has been riding a lot of technical trails with his friends and loves it. The smaller sprocket also makes it much easier to clear logs.

His bike is 1 X 12, ours are 3 X 7.

One of my friends also has a fat tire bike. I have not ridden it, but at the time I rode with him I know I was a stronger rider, but he did things with that bike that I could not do with mine, especially in mucky terrain. I guess they all have their pluses and minuses.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I briefly rode my Step Son's 29" bike. Not as nimble as the 26", but when climbing a rocky hill it seems to have a big advantage.

Less impacted by rocks and roots, and a larger traction patch for the tire. Plus, the seat post drop option is great for steep downhills!

He has been riding a lot of technical trails with his friends and loves it. The smaller sprocket also makes it much easier to clear logs.

One of my friends also has a fat tire bike. I have not ridden it, but at the time I rode with him I know I was a stronger rider, but he did things with that bike that I could not do with mine, especially in mucky terrain. I guess they all have their pluses and minuses.
Yes sir they all shine in different areas. You know you can convert to the 1x set up on you bike right? My son and I bikes are set up 1x9 and works fine, actually makes it much easier finding and getting into the correct gear.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yes sir they all shine in different areas. You know you can convert to the 1x set up on you bike right? My son and I bikes are set up 1x9 and works fine, actually makes it much easier finding and getting into the correct gear.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you. I work for a shop, so I get good deals on bikes. If I wasn’t I wouldn’t be riding an S-Works. Lol
Mountain biking doesn’t have to be expensive to enjoy it. Run what you brung, and have fun. I have an older hard tail that’s been pieced together, and I ride that more the fancy bike.
Yeah they get up there in price pretty high lol,talk about sticker shock. Mine is an older 2003 rocky mountain edge full suspension ,top of the line in the day. Found it on craigslist for 100$,was in very good shape though. Upgraded suspension fork to air, changed crank to 1x and did the stem and bars to wider setup. Rise nice to me for an older full suspension, which I don't do jumps anymore unless I have to because of a trail obstacle

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know you can convert to the 1x set up on you bike right?

Good to know, but I think I'll keep my powder dry for a full upgrade. At 6'1" / 185 I think a 29" would suit me, and the seat post drop, storage in the frame, etc are all nice things the newer bikes have.

FYI, our 26" bikes are TREK EX-8s. They were one of the top non carbon full suspension bikes at the time we got them. The new 29" bike I want to get actually costs less! We have had them for a good many years, and they have been mostly problem free.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to know, but I think I'll keep my powder dry for a full upgrade. At 6'1" / 185 I think a 29" would suit me, and the seat post drop, storage in the frame, etc are all nice things the newer bikes have.

FYI, our 26" bikes are TREK EX-8s. They were one of the top non carbon full suspension bikes at the time we got them. The new 29" bike I want to get actually costs less! We have had them for a good many years, and they have been mostly problem free.
I gotcha, you can do dropper posts on most of the older bikes as well. Gonna do one on mine soon. My bike is an 03 rocky mountain edge, one of the better full suspension bikes in the day. And yes a 29 would most likely fit you better for your size

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I agree. Different wheel sizes for different riders and terrain. 26" wheels worked very well for me for a long time. Nothing wrong with that.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah they get up there in price pretty high lol,talk about sticker shock. Mine is an older 2003 rocky mountain edge full suspension ,top of the line in the day. Found it on craigslist for 100$,was in very good shape though. Upgraded suspension fork to air, changed crank to 1x and did the stem and bars to wider setup. Rise nice to me for an older full suspension, which I don't do jumps anymore unless I have to because of a trail obstacle

Rocky Mountain makes good stuff. I had a Slayer back in 2007-2008 I think. Was a great bike.
What you've done with converting to an air fork is probably one of the best upgrades you can make. All of a sudden you've taken a pound of your bike, and you've made the fork tune-able for your weight and riding style. That and tires are the best places to spend your money. You can feel those upgrades right away.
The wider bars help a lot too, especially on the older bikes with the steeper angles. Slows your steering down, and makes the bike more predictable.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm sure a 29er would fit you great Mike, at your height. Dropper post is something that, when you first look at it, seems completely unnecessary, but once you ride one for a little bit you're hooked. Lol. The first dropper I ever rode was at Interbike in Las Vegas in 2010-2011, something like that, and I knew I had to have one as soon as I got back to the shop. I ordered one up, and never looked back.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rocky Mountain makes good stuff. I had a Slayer back in 2007-2008 I think. Was a great bike.
What you've done with converting to an air fork is probably one of the best upgrades you can make. All of a sudden you've taken a pound of your bike, and you've made the fork tune-able for your weight and riding style. That and tires are the best places to spend your money. You can feel those upgrades right away.
The wider bars help a lot too, especially on the older bikes with the steeper angles. Slows your steering down, and makes the bike more predictable.
It's a good bike for sure,in still try to locate some better tires,all I was able to find locally were the ones Walmart sells, I mean they work but feel way different in turns and things from the sidewall flex. I'm find some on Ebay but I can't get my hands on them before others do.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I gotcha, you can do dropper posts on most of the older bikes as well. Gonna do one on mine soon. My bike is an 03 rocky mountain edge, one of the better full suspension bikes in the day. And yes a 29 would most likely fit you better for your size

If any of you guys ever need parts or bikes, let me know. I can help you get good prices on most parts, and on the brands of bikes we carry.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If any of you guys ever need parts or bikes, let me know. I can help you get good prices on most parts, and on the brands of bikes we carry.
That's cool brother thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind.