Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
2:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you use the same chain stop and up/down settings for a left and right cutter, if they aren’t the same length either 1) your motor needs shimmed, or 2) where you tighten the arm together could be twisting under the torque of the thumbscrew
I would also add to this, if the torrington bearing pivot has slop in it, or needs lube, cutters can be different left to right

Bryan Marks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
some great stuff being talked about!! one thing to measure is when you push your chain stop from side to side is it true and the same where it indexes the back of the tooth. I have mine adjusted so it wont move but still holds the left and right cutter and its perfectly 90* to the chain holder tray. have you guys watched Jacks hotsaws 101 video on his grinder set up? Also who on here makes the metal chain holder disks? my disk is Way to tight its suck a pain.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
some great stuff being talked about!! one thing to measure is when you push your chain stop from side to side is it true and the same where it indexes the back of the tooth. I have mine adjusted so it wont move but still holds the left and right cutter and its perfectly 90* to the chain holder tray. have you guys watched Jacks hotsaws 101 video on his grinder set up? Also who on here makes the metal chain holder disks? my disk is Way to tight its suck a pain.
@srcarr52 makes a Metal Chain Holder (also quite tight). You may have an easier time opening up your plastic chain holder than buggering up a fancy metal one...

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the new plastic one will losen up as you use it the ones shaun makes are nicebut requires a washer between the arm and the holder because it is thinner than the plastic one. i like it better. the new plastic ones are a pain in the ass because the tooth will ride up and need to be pushed down every time

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As steep as the learning curve is, I am baffled that Salt Creek is shipping new Simington’s with a disc that aggravates the sh1t out of even a seasoned chain grinder, let alone a newb...

Bryan Marks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As steep as the learning curve is, I am baffled that Salt Creek is shipping new Simington’s with a disc that aggravates the sh1t out of even a seasoned chain grinder, let alone a newb...
My new chain holder disk is too tight also. The 050 chain in the 063 slot works for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. I put some fine sand paper on a old credit card and worked it back and forth to open it up a touch. The .050 side was super tight. Does anyone else have a trick to open it up so it usable?

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i havent tried to open it up on mine and all of my big saw chains are .063 most of my others are .050 its tighter than i like but there is no chain rocking at all and useable. I use the one i got from shaun now its so much nicer the chain glides through and doesnt rock either. i have the brand new plastic one and didnt like it so i bought the one from shaun.

Bryan Marks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i havent tried to open it up on mine and all of my big saw chains are .063 most of my others are .050 its tighter than i like but there is no chain rocking at all and useable. I use the one i got from shaun now its so much nicer the chain glides through and doesnt rock either. i have the brand new plastic one and didnt like it so i bought the one from shaun.
I’ll have to get one. How much roughly are they?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many are being sold to seasoned timber fallers that have grinders and it’s their back up?

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
how many fallers replace the holder when it gets worn out?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Point being, the disc they send blows...
I’ve ordered probably a dozen different disks of various composition and they do all kind of blow. Molmab seems to be the only real choice and the variation from disc to disc is big.

As far as the different colors I like the blue and white the best. Blue for touch ups and white for bringing rocked chains back into service. The white wheel seems to run the coolest but need touched up more often. Those seem to be the easiest colors to find. The gray and brown wheels work alright, but I had a difficult time finding them and haven’t seen them much since all this shortages bs. It’s all personal preference really. I don’t sweat the small stuff it’s just chainsaw chain.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve ordered probably a dozen different disks of various composition and they do all kind of blow. Molmab seems to be the only real choice and the variation from disc to disc is big.

As far as the different colors I like the blue and white the best. Blue for touch ups and white for bringing rocked chains back into service. The white wheel seems to run the coolest but need touched up more often. Those seem to be the easiest colors to find. The gray and brown wheels work alright, but I had a difficult time finding them and haven’t seen them much since all this shortages bs. It’s all personal preference really. I don’t sweat the small stuff it’s just chainsaw chain.
I was referring to the chain holder disc...