Need a primer on grinders

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My experience has been as long or longer for square. The round chisel point is more fragile than the corner on a square cutter
Thank ya sir.....you just said what I was thinking all along......the “point” of the full-chisel takes all the impact....

I have a a 20” and a 25” loop of square ground Oregon chain....I havent used them yet, but I will next time I go cut.....I mainly cut hardwood, so I am anxious to see how it goes....i would like to get a square grinder one day, just can’t justify it now.....if I Love the way it cuts, I will just have to use the “double bevel” file for now, LOL!!!

Last edited:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank ya sir.....you just said what I was thinking all along......the “point” of the full-chisel takes all the impact....

I have a a 20” and a 25” loop of square ground Oregon chain....I havent used them yet, but I will next time I go cut.....I mainly cut hardwood, so I am anxious to see how it goes....i would like to get a square grinder one day, just can’t justify it now.....if I Love the way it cuts, I will just have to use the goofy file for now, LOL!!!
I didn't like the goofy file. No straight side plate and makes a more fragile cutter

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't like the goofy file. No straight side plate and makes a more fragile cutter
This is the file I have, can’t remember if it’s the same brand and I don’t know the correct name for it......is this the type you use.....
BB896CEE-27E9-48A9-91B2-ACA90D7D4411.png

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a few pics of my very first attempt at square filing.....takes a while to convert full-chisel to square by hand, LOL....these were my very first attempts converting chisel to square, so I know they ain’t perfect....

First pic is Oregon vanguard converted to square by hand
784AD4AB-DD8B-4D1A-A1D5-97149D0096C1.png

This is Stihl RS converted to square by hand....
1DD9E67A-68D1-433B-9B24-E7B501A220BC.png

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the file I just showed a pic of is a double bevel????

What kind of file are you using for square chain when you do it by hand???
Double bevel

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually, if you want to go 'full-auto' (they actually require a little set up with each chain), take a look at the Oregon / Markussen automatic grinders. They start at about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cost of a Franzen. Could be especially good for a crew that uses lots of similar chains (fewer set up changes).

https://www.oregonproducts.com/medi...jOWQ3ODZiMTUxYjY0NmQxYzA3MWZi&attachment=true

http://home.markusson.se/triplematic/?lang=en

Philbert
Is it me or did that markusson grinder remove a lot of the cutter in one pass ? Seems like it might have been burning those cutters.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it me or did that markusson grinder remove a lot of the cutter in one pass ? Seems like it might have been burning those cutters.
Not sure. Might have been showing that it is capable of removing a lot, if needed. Might have been evening out a chain, and stared with a much smaller cutter. As I understand it, the technician determines how much / how little material to remove when setting up for each chain.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The round chisel point is more fragile than the corner on a square cutter
If you look at the recommended filing angles for various chains, you will commonly see top plate angles ranging from 25° to 35°.

With round filed, full chisel chain, that leaves a vulnerable point (or 'working corner') that is easily damaged. With square filed, full chisel chain we see an 'effective' top plate angle closer to 15°, which is less vulnerable

"Square Ground Filing: A 15° cutting edge is the result when the file is held at 45° top plate angle and 45° down angle." (Oregon filing chart footnote).

What kind of file are you using for square chain when you do it by hand???
Double bevel, single bevel, or 'triangular' can be used.

Chainsaw File Profiles.png

Philbert

Last edited:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look at the recommended filing angles for various chains, you will commonly see top plate angles ranging from 25° to 35°.

With round filed, full chisel chain, that leaves a vulnerable point (or 'working corner') that is easily damaged. With square filed, full chisel chain we see an 'effective' top plate angle closer to 15°, which is less vulnerable

(Oregon filing chart note).

Double bevel, single bevel, or 'triangular' can be used.

View attachment 106108

Philbert
That's true. I square file at 25 or so degrees

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here is a few pics of my very first attempt at square filing.....takes a while to convert full-chisel to square by hand, LOL....these were my very first attempts converting chisel to square, so I know they ain’t perfect....

View attachment 106062

View attachment 106061

Those look very good, especially for converting from round.

Corner might be a touch low, but you can bring it up on the next go around of filling.

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 106062

View attachment 106061

You did great.

Long time back the first loop I used I ran it till it was used up. Some of the filings looked like hell but it still cut good.

I cut all hardwood and most of the time frozen along with a few white pine and sassafras for fire starters.
Square holds up better than round filed and takes the same time for a touch up.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You did great.

Long time back the first loop I used I ran it till it was used up. Some of the filings looked like hell but it still cut good.

I cut all hardwood and most of the time frozen along with a few white pine and sassafras for fire starters.
Square holds up better than round filed and takes the same time for a touch up.
Thank ya sir....

Well damn you, You are making me want to get a square grinder agian, lol!!!!!

In all seriousness though, what do you think the best all around square grinder is...one that is easy to use, and holds up well!!!!

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here, I'll tease you guys a little.

20axhye.jpg