Vert-i-File Chain Sharpening Fixture

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When sharpening chain, the position of the file, relative to each tooth, determines the cutting angles. Many fixtures, jigs, and guides have been designed to help position the file accurately and consistently. The Vert-i-File takes a different approach: it positions the chain, relative to the person doing the sharpening, allowing them to guide the file horizontally, and to see the cutting surfaces as they are being filed.
1.png

This simple change improves the ergonomics of sharpening, by presenting the chain at a comfortable height, and eliminating the need to reach across, or around, the powerhead or the bar. It also eliminates common angle variations between Right and Left side cutters, since they are both filed in the same position.
2.png

The Vert-i-File positions the chain for filing, either mounted on the saw, or on the guide bar with an optional chain-tensioning accessory. It works with any pitch, gauge, brand, or sequence of chain, as long as a suitable guide bar is provided.

Once the chain is presented at the fixed, 30* angle, it’s still up to the user to position the file relative to the cutter top plate, create any ‘down angle’, define any ‘hook’, etc., allowing significant flexibility, and user preference. But, because the filed surface is on top, they can see the effect of each file stroke: it’s not hidden in the underside of the tooth.

The clean, simple design of the Vert-i-File is also appealing. Constructed of welded aluminum, it is compact (about 11-1/4" tall, and 4-1/2" front-to-back), light weight (about 12 ounces), and appears pretty durable.
3.jpg

For more info www.vert-i-file.de
r.lehmann@superscharfekette.de

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw is secured to the angled surface with a single bolt through the alignment hole that is common in many laminated guide bars. If the bar does not have this hole, one has to be drilled, or another bar used for sharpening. The company also recommends drilling a mounting hole more towards the midpoint of the bar, for longer guide bars, or with heavier saws, to better balance these on the fixture.
4.jpg

The Vert-i-File is normally mounted in a bench vise. I like to file outside, so I mounted mine in a 'Jawhorse', portable work holder, and also mortised out a simple block of wood that I can clamp to any work surface.
5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The chains I filed mostly needed 'touch-up sharpening': a few to several strokes on each tooth, but no real reshaping of the cutters. Holding the file horizontal is pretty intuitive, and has a very short learning curve: it probably took me more time to think about it than to do it. File the teeth on one side; flip the bar and saw; file the other side. Being able to see the progress of each file stroke is also a bonus: easy to see when the edges are restored and you are done.
8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

Use with guides? A lot of people are accustomed to using some type of filing guide when sharpening. In theory, some of these guides could still be used with the Vert-i-File, such as those that attach to the file to control depth. But they would interfere with the clear view of the sharpening process, which is a key advantage of the device. File guides that normally rest on the chain, or on the guide bar, could be problematic due to the bar's orientation when fixed to the Vert-i-File. The positioning, and stabilization of the cutters, are likely most suited to using just a file and a handle.

Philbert

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
10:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks pretty lame... Hey @dall you get one if these yet?

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not a bad idea, but it needs a bit of refinement, IMHO. I'll stick with my chain vice.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel like all your bars would end up banana shaped eventually? Looks rough on the bar. The heavier the saw and the longer the bar, the worse it gets.

They could add a couple feet of length and a sprocket on a sliding post to eliminate using the heavy powerhead as a chain holder.

They could also refine the core concept with guides (or at least marks) to indicate angles other than 60, and maybe also something for 0 or 10 degree tilt.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel like all your bars would end up banana shaped eventually?

There is not that much flex: you can see the saws I tried it on - mostly 14" to 16" bars. Since the saw is flipped over to file the teeth on the other side, the flex is also balanced. Might be different with a long bar or heavy powerhead, but this version is not intended for those saws.

They could also refine the core concept with guides (or at least marks) to indicate angles other than 60, and maybe also something for 0 or 10 degree tilt.
The angle is fixed at 30°. Part of the design appeal is to keep things simple for the intended users (probably not someone filing race chain). This is consistent with other sharpening guides (e.g. STIHL / Pferd 2-In-1) which are designed for use at a fixed angle.

That said, the user can still customize things like top plate angle, 'hook', etc., ***and see what they are doing as they file***, instead of the traditional method of filing 'blind' underneath the cutter. If you really want a 25° or 35° angle you can still get that by tilting your file slightly, and still get the benefits of seeing the edges as you file them.

Philbert

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dig it. I might rig up something similar for fun to try it. I'm big on seeing what's happening, esp. for learners. That's why I like husky roller guides vs. the 2 n 1.

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had to teach someone to sharpen chains in one line:

"Know what a good chain looks like, and inspect and measure your work to see if you are getting there or not."

Everything else is optional, and you can pick it up as you go.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The other day I stood my 3120 with 42” bar up on end and filed a bit at the tip of the bar...I really liked being able to see into the semi chisel cutter. Good position for visibility and light. I’m thinking about some combination of this and a chain vise.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The other day I stood my 3120 with 42” bar up on end and filed a bit at the tip of the bar...I really liked being able to see into the semi chisel cutter. Good position for visibility and light. I’m thinking about some combination of this and a chain vise.
The Vert-i-File product is well made, but targeted at smaller saws. The idea is certainly adaptable to saws of any size.

I am hoping that he comes out with a method for filing really short, pole saw chains, without their really long poles attached! The small pitch chains (1/4", 3/8 low pro/narrow profile, "Nano', 'Picco', etc.) are sometimes the hardest to file due to their size and short guide bars. What they often need is a few, precision strokes with the right file.

Philbert

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see that. I find I can hand file 3/8” and 404” full chis ok, but I need a roller guide for semi chis, and esp. .325”

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just use roller guides on all my chains and I clamp my saws down to my filing table for stability.