Icepick69

Fart knocker extraordinaire.
Local time
2:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or you selling it, doesn't look used.
All mine have what looks like welding slag hanging down.
Doesn't affect the performance, knocks off easy

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen that picture before. Are you using it?

Or you selling it, doesn't look used.
All mine have what looks like welding slag hanging down.
Doesn't affect the performance, knocks off easy

Of course I am using it, it's a Silvey 510. That pic was from several years ago when I bought it.

The Nielsen 100B is for rakers, the Oregon 511AX is for .325.

9a8kfd.jpg

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of course I am using it, it's a Silvey 510. That pic was from several years ago when I bought it.

The Nielsen 100B is for rakers, the Oregon 511AX is for .325.

9a8kfd.jpg
OK... Thanks for sharing. Everyone gets a woody when Silvey pics are posted. Just sayin'

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK... Thanks for sharing. Everyone gets a woody when Silvey pics are posted. Just sayin'

Kind of figured that, that is why I posted it. Funny thing is everyone says they would snap up a Silvey 510 in a heartbeat if they had a chance. On another forum years ago when I bought mine, I posted that my dealer had access to 3 more NIB. No one bit. Proves one of my old sayings, "It takes money to buy whiskey".:b1:

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Weren't they something like $700 back then?

Philbert

I paid $630 but it came with 80 gauge rails. New rails were $160 more.:yikes:

My dealer offered to get the other 3 NIB with new rails for $930 but no one wanted to pony up the money.

Every time I use it, I just get a big grin.:campeon:

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a Silvey 600 at an auction. Nobody there had a clue. The sad thing to me is that Silvey went out of business selling the top line of chain grinders...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I can get my money back on the Silvey, can you say the same thing about that on the Oregon?
My 511A has paid for itself many times over . . . . (now if I could just justify all of the other grinders I have!).

Re-sale is only one metric. I got my money back for all of the 'HF type' grinders that I acquired for this thread (below), but that did not make them 'good' grinders!

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/hf-chain-grinder-thread.268303/

Philbert

ken morgan

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Looky at what international post brought me.....anybody tried this ebay vendor for boran wheels? I wanted to order from a reputable vendor but can't see bailey's website as of late, and got tired of the same stupid email replies form them. Can't order from them...even if you offer a better and cheaper product. IMG_20180504_101138.jpg IMG_20180504_101215.jpg

ken morgan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
taking this up to the cabin as both of my 28" chains and one of my 20" chains are rocked after our last firewood wood hunting expedition. I broke the grinding wheel that came on my techomech when I was putting it away and it bumped another tool on the shelf....was not expecting those wheels to be that fragile but it is what it is. I went back to my granberg for normal sharpening in the meantime but I rocked those chains pretty good...decided to wait for the new toy.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They may come from the same factory; let us know what you think of them.

Yeah, I once broke an 1/8" grinding wheel by spacing out and changing the top plate angle after adjusting the depth of cut: the wheel was in a tooth gullet and snapped like a crisp graham cracker.

Philbert

Last edited:

ken morgan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They may come from the same factory; let us know what you think of them.

Year, I once broke an 1/8" grinding wheel by spacing out and changing the top plate angle after adjusting the depth of cut: the wheel was in a tooth gullet and snapped like a crisp graham cracker.

Philbert
Will do Phil, kind of curious to see how well they actually work and if the hype is real or not.

HandLogger

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope it dosen't bother anyone, but I'm reviving this old thread that I started to hopefully get some updated information. In this post, it looked like @Khntr85 was experimenting with converting round chain to square ground. If you're reading this post, I'd like to know if you ever figured the conversion process out, how you did it and, just as importantly, what kind of results you observed "in the wood"?

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the post, Angelo. After purchasing a certain amount of Stihl equipment and accessories, we came to know a saw doctor in the dealership that allowed me to try out the shop's grinder. I never really asked him which model they had, but, after researching an image for one, I would say that the USG is what they used to sharpen chains. I only tried using their grinder a few times, but I was very unsatisfied with how the chains cut afterword.
Curious,? I was in a stihl shop and the chain grinder was a ( tech ) and he did;nt us the
T/_ offset . He said the customers did not complain and it was easier & quicker for him
could shortcuts have made for a medeoccur result?