Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
9:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I disagree. And I know a lot of folks are fast to say you don’t want any lean or only 3 degrees, I found that chains like that don’t cut well after the first tank. With lean like you have it will self feed with higher rakers and still self feed when that corner isn’t perfect anymore. I much prefer angles like that vs no lean!
:beer-toast1: #metoo

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Raker height 26 Oct 21.PNG
You can see how far back the tooth has been filed, and you can see how tall the raker is. Only has a few swipes off it and feeds well in even dry hardwoods

so that makes your top plate 30° if i remember right mine are at 25° and side plate at 3° which allows me to have 35 or 40 thousands of raker depth and it cuts everything pretty damn good. what are your inside angles? mine are View attachment 313892
35-40 is ALOT of depth. I try to stay 25- 30 on the rakers

I'll get a few more pics next time I'm out in the barn and get some angles for ya

Last edited:

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
8:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ABCCF867-CD7A-42A5-9224-A230BAE0B179.jpeg Here is my latest attempt at getting my simington dialed in. For now I have it setup with approx 3 degree forward lean on the side plate…not sure what the angle is on the top plate. On my 550xp I keep the rakers a little higher (0.025”ish). On my bigger saws with a short bar, I will run my rakers closer to 0.040” below the cutter.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 317331 Here is my latest attempt at getting my simington dialed in. For now I have it setup with approx 3 degree forward lean on the side plate…not sure what the angle is on the top plate. On my 550xp I keep the rakers a little higher (0.025”ish). On my bigger saws with a short bar, I will run my rakers closer to 0.040” below the cutter.
Looks great!

Bryan Marks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We’ll I just ordered a 451c from Madsends. I read this whole thread and took notes. I will probably do a series on my youtube Channel comparing square,round, and the New kid on the block the HEXA. I’ll post on here as well. Thanks to everyone that gave great tips and tricks!! I have some videos already on my YouTube falling with HEXA. It’s pretty impressive. Channel name is Bryan Marks or search HEXA.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
We’ll I just ordered a 451c from Madsends. I read this whole thread and took notes. I will probably do a series on my youtube Channel comparing square,round, and the New kid on the block the HEXA. I’ll post on here as well. Thanks to everyone that gave great tips and tricks!! I have some videos already on my YouTube falling with HEXA. It’s pretty impressive. Channel name is Bryan Marks or search HEXA.
Feel free to post your vids up here @Bryan Marks

https://opeforum.com/forums/visit-my-youtube-channel.109/

Bryan Marks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Will do. I have a bunch of “gadgets” to see how square everything is out of the box. From what I can tell some are square and some need tweaking. Madsends said they have some old school guys with 100 plus years of experience on these grinders that sets them up and shapes the wheel. He said it should be ready to go with a good work grind right out of the box.

tek9tim

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will do. I have a bunch of “gadgets” to see how square everything is out of the box. From what I can tell some are square and some need tweaking. Madsends said they have some old school guys with 100 plus years of experience on these grinders that sets them up and shapes the wheel. He said it should be ready to go with a good work grind right out of the box.

Madsends huh? Never heard of em. Madsen's is a great shop tho, grew up not far from that chainsaw candy shop.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That wouldn’t of been Mike would it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryan Marks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So I got my machine. And have a little problem. What would cause the wheel to wobble? I’ve been playing with it all day to see if I can fix it. I did flip the wheel and lightly surfaced it which helped but should I need to do that. The side plate angle goes thin then thick if that makes sense. The bottom of the wheel has a wobble.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I got my machine. And have a little problem. What would cause the wheel to wobble? I’ve been playing with it all day to see if I can fix it. I did flip the wheel and lightly surfaced it which helped but should I need to do that. The side plate angle goes thin then thick if that makes sense. The bottom of the wheel has a wobble.
Do you have a dial indicator with a magnetic base by chance? Hopefully it’s a wheel issue!

Bryan Marks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do you have a dial indicator with a magnetic base by chance? Hopefully it’s a wheel issue!
Ya only one wheel. I have a dial indicator at Work which I will check. I think the arbor is not running true. I’ll check when I go back to work Sunday but I took a slow-mo video and the shaft in my opinion is not running true. I would say on the wheel’s edge it’s 20-25 thou wobble. But it looks like the arm is true from side to side when I test it with dial calipers. I think I need to grind some chain and see how it goes. I’m at my house with no saw chain to test but the wheel is definitely wobbly. I used a marker anchored to the base under the wheel and it marked on the low side of the wheel it that makes sense. The pic is the “low side”
Take the wheel off and turn the motor on. Is the shaft straight and smooth?
that’s hard cuz if it’s not running true it’s hard to tell on the shift it compounds the farther you get away from the center of the shaft. But from what I can tell with out an dial indicator it is slightly wobbly. If Im anchoring something to the housing and hold it to the shaft it does seem to be not running true. I can hear and feel it clicking if you know what I mean. How true are they supposed to be? There is that big silver ring with the threads attached to the shaft coming out of the motor. That is what I’m indexing on what the wheel touches. That seems to be not running true. It’s slight but like I said it compound at the end of the wheel 4/5 inches away from the shaft.

Attachments

• BDCB16EF-0463-42E9-B5E8-102478C7D983.jpeg
    BDCB16EF-0463-42E9-B5E8-102478C7D983.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 24

Bryan Marks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've had wobble from just the slightest bit of grit between the wheel and washers. For me, just wiping the 4 surfaces clean and reassembling has taken care of it.
I’ve take the wheel off prob 15 times today to check stuff. I need to put a dial indicator on the shaft. I’ll be in the shop Sunday.