High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So here is my tip for square grinding. I have a Simington swing arm. I have never bought a square ground chain and have only converted round ground chisel to square. I always like to use the gray waxed wheel for converting chains over. You have to remove more material when converting chains over and the gray waxed wheel will not burn the cutter like a blue, white, or salmon wheel does. I have done Picco, .325 and 3/8ths without any problems. I believe someone mentioned on here making the wheel a little thinner. For the smaller chains that is what I do to keep out of the tie straps.
If I am going to touch up a chain then I will use my blue wheel because it will hold the shape for much longer.

Last edited:

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
1:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So guys after all the reading here. Which one should a guy purchase ? Where at ? The best prices ? I'm guess multiple stones and make sure I get both dressing stones .
Im guessing roughly like 1200 to 1300 to start out with a simmington grinder.
Not sure about a silvey price was
Thanks for any input . seriously thinking about buying one

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They sure as heck hold their value, I wouldn't be afraid to buy new. Shipping is the thing that kills. Standard stuff that comes from the factory will last for years with the kind of volume we are talking about. I would NEVER grind for hire. Just hate grit I guess? lol

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Swing arm is simple. Simington would be around $1150 delivered from Madsens with a few wheels.

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Simington grinder works well and is easy to use. The one I have I bought brand new direct from Pelli. I think that was his last name if I remember right. I have never used the Silvey and really do not know a lot about them but the Simington seems to grind some nice sharp angles which I like and the chains cut plenty fast. In fact the lastest chain build off on chainsaw repair site for a .325 chain I am doing a race chain that is completely done with the grinder and a dremel. I am not using any files on the chain at all. I want to see how it competes with a lot of the hand filed chains.

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In fact the lastest chain build off on chainsaw repair site for a .325 chain I am doing a race chain that is completely done with the grinder and a dremel. I am not using any files on the chain at all. I want to see how it competes with a lot of the hand filed chains.

I did the same with my silvey, and for the same reasons. How many chains did you enter?

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My race Chain is also a Stihl rsc. Submitted 2 work chains-(1 Sthil, 1 Oregon LPX). First time entering a contest like this so I'm looking forward to it as a learning experience. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mag Craft

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My race Chain is also a Stihl rsc. Submitted 2 work chains-(1 Sthil, 1 Oregon LPX). First time entering a contest like this so I'm looking forward to it as a learning experience. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is only my second time myself. I entered the chain build when they were doing picco on a 12" bar. it was a lot of fun. Bring your A game.

Fullkip

Timber Faller/Saw Porter/Hunting Guide
Local time
10:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy guys... I'm a new member here... My tip is to make sure that you dress your wheel the way your grinding and dress into the wheel... Also I was having a hard time getting a perfect corner on my ProSharp.. Bought new over 20 years ago... It turned out that it was the dresser holder , wear caused to much play in the dresser pivot. Make sure there is no side play in your dressers. One last thing never use air to blow off grinder it will give you grief...

Fullskip

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the minimum diameter of the grinding wheel on a silvey swing arm. It seems that I am out of adjustment on the side where the chain stop holder contacts the grinder frame. The largest diameter is about 6.75"