Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
does anyone know how to true up the arbor on the grinder? mine has an ever so slight of a vibration. i have spun it slow with a pencil held stationary and it is slighty out of balance

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take the wheel off and check the run out on the arbor shaft. Could be the grinding wheel is not true. Might be some crud between the stone and the mounting faces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
does anyone know how to true up the arbor on the grinder? mine has an ever so slight of a vibration. i have spun it slow with a pencil held stationary and it is slighty out of balance

I normally mount the arbor on the motor armature between centers in the lathe and skim cut the face. I make sure there isn't anything terrible wrong with the motor armature shaft first, I've seen some that are mushroomed out from people using a hammer to change bearings out.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have checked the stone and made sure that there isnt anything else wrong the arbor is just off a little. i was hopeing there was some way of fixing it on the grinder. guess i have to take it to someone with a lathe. thanks to all of you

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have checked the stone and made sure that there isnt anything else wrong the arbor is just off a little. i was hopeing there was some way of fixing it on the grinder. guess i have to take it to someone with a lathe. thanks to all of you

Take the arbor off and make sure there isn't anything on the shaft or in the bore that could be contributing to the excess run out.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i was able to pull the arbor without any issues at all. it is very hard to tell if there is any runout in the driveshaft as there is a flat side for the set screw it doesnt appear that there is and if so it is a tiny amount. the next question is now how high up on the shaft does the arbor go or does it matter as long as it isnt too high? also does it change the inside angle on the cutter if it is up higher or is it the same and the chain will just sit higher up on the holder because they are both circles just meeting in a different spot. am i just thinking about this too much? i dont remember that much math.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i was able to pull the arbor without any issues at all. it is very hard to tell if there is any runout in the driveshaft as there is a flat side for the set screw it doesnt appear that there is and if so it is a tiny amount. the next question is now how high up on the shaft does the arbor go or does it matter as long as it isnt too high? also does it change the inside angle on the cutter if it is up higher or is it the same and the chain will just sit higher up on the holder because they are both circles just meeting in a different spot. am i just thinking about this too much? i dont remember that much math.
What model again? On the 451C there is adjustment available on the arm. On a 450, there isn’t and arbor position on shaft will be semi critical. I can look at my 450, but it’s not here at the house.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
its a 451b. i called simington to ask them where they put it. they put it a half inch down and they measure from the bottom of the base to the stone mating surface.

K Mueller

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check the cable down by the main body they wear there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was at Madsens not long ago. Got all new wear parts -$900 worth with labor. I will still check!

Appreciate the advice! Might have a few questions setting it up

Last edited: