Dolkita686
Local time
8:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I
83ae473615061f89950d393649712569.jpg

I moved the chain guide more forward in my simington 450. Now the straight line from the working corner doesn’t line up with the inside corner. I am thinking because I have a more acute or flatter grind angle on the top plate, it won’t intersect the inner corner.
My question is, is this an issue? does it seem too aggressive? I haven’t got a chance to cut with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my opinion not at all. The angles applied to the cutting edges is still the same across the whole plane, and the inside corner doesn’t do any work. Those angles look good. A few customers of mine and myself have been quite happy with similar angles, they said they’re getting 8-10 tanks on a chain cutting hardwood firewood.4C8E6606-E870-4EB3-869D-6C4ED6847732.jpeg

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I

In my opinion not at all. The angles applied to the cutting edges is still the same across the whole plane, and the inside corner doesn’t do any work. Those angles look good. A few customers of mine and myself have been quite happy with similar angles, they said they’re getting 8-10 tanks on a chain cutting hardwood firewood.View attachment 258629

It took me a minute to realize you were not wearing gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon427

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I

In my opinion not at all. The angles applied to the cutting edges is still the same across the whole plane, and the inside corner doesn’t do any work. Those angles look good. A few customers of mine and myself have been quite happy with similar angles, they said they’re getting 8-10 tanks on a chain cutting hardwood firewood.View attachment 258629
Is this chain done on a simington 451c?

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would you mind to share how you have it setup to produce those angles? I’m having a hard time getting something I’m really happy with.
I can show you my dresser angles this weekend, I’m at school right now but I’ll be home Friday and I’ll try to remember to take some pictures. I run my arm at the middle setting forward to rear, and adjust the height to be as high as possible without killing tie straps.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
this is what my chains look like. they stay sharp a long time and they cut really good. I cut into the tie strap a little to get the angle I like under the top plate and I have my tooth angles a little more square than stock

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also take two solid smooth strokes off of the riders when the chain is new before it ever cuts wood. You can see how much in one of the pics avove

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also take two solid smooth strokes off of the riders when the chain is new before it ever cuts wood. You can see how much in one of the pics above
If you had a bit of forward lean you might not need to remove anything, at least that's my experience with hardwood, sometimes I'll take a stroke off on softwood with a ported saw, but I don't cut much of it here.
This is a new Oregon EXL chain with the rakers at the original factory height, if it was for a 70cc saw I would have lowered them a bit. The saw is a muffler modded 2252(50cc) that only had a few tanks thru it, cutting frozen black locust, which is pretty hard wood.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i run that grind on my 372xpw and my 357xp. I have always filed the depth guages down from new just because a new chain that hasnt been on the grinder yet cuts way better. i file them down on my small chains too. it makes a big differene on my pole saw it cuts way faster after filing them down