Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it also hadnt ever occurred to me that the depth guage was sitting out far enough on the side to be in front of the side plate it looks to be though

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so i have been thinking about this and it doesnt really make sense. If the depth guage kept the side cutter from only cutting down to the distance of the depth guage setting how does it get dull and why wouldnt the chain companies just design it that way to start with.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
7:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just checked, my top dresser is at factory setting, and the side dresser I adjusted a little for less forward lean. Side plate angle is dependent on the holder location, so it always changes.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you make the wheel shorter where it grinds the sideplate, you wont dig into your tie straps so much.
The side plate only cuts down to what the depth gauge will allow
I use a dressing stone and give the bottom corner of the wheel a little bevel. That helps a bit too.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
there has been small notches in my tie straps for years and i havent had a problem
Most Mustang owners don’t have traction problems either, and for the same reason too ...........
Low power = guaranteed to hookup
Or, in your case,
Low power = never have chain issues

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most Mustang owners don’t have traction problems either, and for the same reason too ...........
Low power = guaranteed to hookup
Or, in your case,
Low power = never have chain issues

When’s the last time a strap failed at the corner vs the rivet pulling through or breaking? I’ve got a lot of used chains that the strap has been ground is it a great practice no but the only time I’ve a failure is when I’ve had a chain find my falling jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never had an issue, usually the only time you're going to have an issue is if you cut like an ironballs. I had 3 0.063 gauge chains break in a week after I had a 100' broke and spun at the saw shop. Because the dumb f*** put a 0.058" drive link in each chain. Boy was I pissed.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have only had one chain break before and it broke where it was joined i thing that the rivets were spun too much when it was put together. i have however had all of the cutters stripped off of a chain before they were on their last grind and only lasted about 15 minutes.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When’s the last time a strap failed at the corner vs the rivet pulling through or breaking? I’ve got a lot of used chains that the strap has been ground is it a great practice no but the only time I’ve a failure is when I’ve had a chain find my falling jack.
I’ve had a few fail in a few places. Watch some of the results of our chain races when we have them .......
You can even go back into some old threads and you’ll find all sorts of failures from files hitting the chassis at the rivets.9B9724A8-E4FE-47BF-9D0C-6E0CC4D8B9C7.jpeg
This one had the driver open up at the front and whipped the operators leg pretty good. Chaps let him take only a bruise away.

i dont have low power. my cousin has a ported 390xp and has bigger notches in his tie straps either
As far as running your ported 390, gear it up a bit and start cutting some square wood ....... you’ll see quickly what you can get away with and what you can’t

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
he ran that ported 390 every day in the woods as a professional timber cutter. im pretty sure he has an 8 tooth sprocket. I would like to go to some of the chain races and play along

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
he ran that ported 390 every day in the woods as a professional timber cutter. im pretty sure he has an 8 tooth sprocket. I would like to go to some of the chain races and play along
The fun begins with a 9 or 10 tooth

Just join right in along with everyone else when one gets setup.

Heres a 661 testing a work chain with a 10 tooth and a 20” bar, notched for the 10 tooth