Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. Thank you. That x-cut hook is tough to replicate.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes Bjorn. I bought a few loops to try. I try lots of different chains just because. Lol
Oregon EXL is good stuff for sure.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does it hold an edge? There's a local shop that sells reels of Archer chain for a decent price.

It holds up decently. The material might seem soft when filing but it holds up decent and it’s got a good amount of chrome on the top.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
3:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been using 6 or 8 archer chains this year, I can not find any thing to complain about except I can't use the Husky roller file gauge on it cuz the top corner of the drive link holds the gauge too high, but I grind chain mostly now so...

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Archer chain stretched considerably when new. Then it settles on. Just be aware.

Same here, retention after the first couple of cuts, then again about 1/2-3/4 tank. After that it's pretty stable. I don't think it's any worse than Carlton chain.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for sharing that. Shouldn’t the intro title say Archer - China instead of Australia??
I was interested to see them Rockwell testing something ?? I have been curious as to the Rc hardness between different chain manufacturers. I guess I will have to take some & test them. Unless one of you other gents has already done it. Connecting links & drive link is about all a guy can test without some sort of fixture for stability for holding a tooth for top plate & side plate testing.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool video. But it looks like child labor. I wasn't impressed with the heat treat if that's what the firey thing was. The video looked pretty sophisticated, but I highly doubt it.
And previously mentioned, but Archer Australia looked like China to me.
I'd still use it although it's not my 1st or 2nd preference.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s going to be a play chain, I don’t think it will hold an edge for chit.

It looks like it is just slightly side-beaked, which is fine for playing around. It won't hold an edge as long like you say, but will initially be a hair faster in the wood.

When I was commercial thinning, I would run a slight side beak because I was decreasing the back-slope of the top plate and running the rakers just a hair shallower,
which made for a very fast cutting chain in young softwoods.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like it is just slightly side-beaked, which is fine for playing around. It won't hold an edge as long like you say, but will initially be a hair faster in the wood.

When I was commercial thinning, I would run a slight side beak because I was decreasing the back-slope of the top plate and running the rakers just a hair shallower,
which made for a very fast cutting chain in young softwoods.
I still debate the slight beak being faster. I know some do it intentionally on race chains, I prefer the perfect corner. That chain is going to be in a group of chains I test, I have 6 different chains, all quite a bit different to run.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still debate the slight beak being faster. I know some do it intentionally on race chains, I prefer the perfect corner. That chain is going to be in a group of chains I test, I have 6 different chains, all quite a bit different to run.

It depends on the wood you're cutting. In western softwoods, especially young trees or those with less tight growth rings, the side beak will gain you an edge. In harder or denser woods, not so much.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
83ae473615061f89950d393649712569.jpg

I moved the chain guide more forward in my simington 450. Now the straight line from the working corner doesn’t line up with the inside corner. I am thinking because I have a more acute or flatter grind angle on the top plate, it won’t intersect the inner corner.
My question is, is this an issue? does it seem too aggressive? I haven’t got a chance to cut with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
83ae473615061f89950d393649712569.jpg

I moved the chain guide more forward in my simington 450. Now the straight line from the working corner doesn’t line up with the inside corner. I am thinking because I have a more acute or flatter grind angle on the top plate, it won’t intersect the inner corner.
My question is, is this an issue? does it seem too aggressive? I haven’t got a chance to cut with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to everything I have read, that is of no concern.