Should I buy this skid steer

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good evening everyone. Marketplace has struck again! I just found a Bobcat skid steer for $400! All the seller knows is that it’s been sitting in a shed for a few years. It has an Onan motor. Tires look to hold air. Has the front end loader bucket as you can see. I would have to borrow some money and get assistance with loading/driving, but those 2 things are and should be obtainable. What do you guys think of the price and machine? I should be able to turn the motor over by hand I think when I get there to check that. Maybe I should offer $300 or $350. I don’t see myself losing money if something major was wrong considering that I have eBay to sell parts on and it’s pretty heavy at the scrap yard. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
www.facebook.com
www.facebook.com
https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...h&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

Automotive tire Wheel Tire Wood Screenshot

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
7:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Snapchat-1996630439.jpg

buy it, get rid of that Onan & swap in a Predator 670, got one in my L250 (originally an 18hp Onan).

too bad it doesn't have a cab/rops but you could always fab one.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t put any money down until you go see it. Been a scam around here where you send a small down payment through a hacked account. Reputable person but their account was hacked.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t put any money down until you go see it. Been a scam around here where you send a small down payment through a hacked account. Reputable person but their account was hacked.
I only ever pay and receive cash in full in person when selling and buying on Craigslist and Marketplace.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why would you borrow money and ask for favors getting something that is clearly out of your league in regards to your current skill set.

You have been out of school since May 24 and go back September 3. That is 102 days or 13 weeks to go bust your arse and earn money. Spend the time earning money not wasting it !!

Earn and learn is a good way to go. If you are truly into saws then instead of wasting favors from folks going and getting a pile of poop use them wisely.

August 17 is the vintage saws race along with the steam show northwest of Baraboo Wisconsin, just south of the Dells. Use your favors to get there. It is a 3 day show and just talk with folks.

Labor Day weekend is the Edgerton Wisconsin tractor show. Spend the summer doing what you kiddos call "making bank" and go learn from folks at the shows. I would tell you to go to Haywood Wisconsin but ........well that might not be as enjoyable.

Last edited:

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why would you borrow money and ask for favors getting something that is clearly out of your league in regards to your current skill set.

You have been out of school since May 24 and go back September 3. That is 102 days or 13 weeks to go bust your arse and earn money. Spend the time earning money not wasting it !!

Earn and learn is a good way to go. If you are truly into saws then instead of wasting favors from folks going and getting a pile of poop use them wisely.

August 17 is the vintage saws race along with the steam show northwest of Baraboo Wisconsin, just south of the Dells. Use your favors to get there. It is a 3 day show and just talk with folks.

Labor Day weekend is the Edgerton Wisconsin tractor show. Spend the summer doing what you kiddos call "making bank" and go learn from folks at the shows. I would tell you to go to Haywood Wisconsin but ........well that might not be as enjoyable.
Okay. As far as tractor/saw shows go, I was thinking about going to Portage County Tractor Daze. I want more work, but I won’t have my truck ready for maybe 2 weeks, plus we are moving unfortunately, bringing my truck home tomorrow and hopefully all goes well, I’m having new glass installed for $300 next week. I’m glad I live in the country, but that means I need a vehicle to do work like lawns for people, unlike Oliver who unfortunately lives in town, but has a ton of easy access to jobs in the neighborhood. I might see about getting a job at a near by Vandergeest farm. I applied for the local outdoor power equipment dealer this spring, the really wanted to hire me, but couldn’t due to liability with me being under 18. Tractor Supply also loved my application and background, but couldn’t hire me either due to being under 18.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Due to various factors like dumb scary stories I’ve heard about open skid steer cabs, the need for matching tires, and the fact that I’d have to borrow money, etc… make this a no. Thanks for the thoughts folks. I didn’t realize how dangerous open cabs were.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay. As far as tractor/saw shows go, I was thinking about going to Portage County Tractor Daze. I want more work, but I won’t have my truck ready for maybe 2 weeks, plus we are moving unfortunately, bringing my truck home tomorrow and hopefully all goes well, I’m having new glass installed for $300 next week. I’m glad I live in the country, but that means I need a vehicle to do work like lawns for people, unlike Oliver who unfortunately lives in town, but has a ton of easy access to jobs in the neighborhood. I might see about getting a job at a near by Vandergeest farm. I applied for the local outdoor power equipment dealer this spring, the really wanted to hire me, but couldn’t due to liability with me being under 18. Tractor Supply also loved my application and background, but couldn’t hire me either due to being under 18.
With all due respect there is no way in hell you cannot tell there is not a dairy farm near you that needs help. The big boys like Foremost used to pay $20/hr. Since you are I believe 17 , the state regs might kick on there. I no longer get the Wisconsin Agri View paper so I am not sure who is hiring up there. I know here you could easily earn $15/hr and work as many hours as you want......over 60. That is in beef, hogs, and row crops as dairy is gone.

If you remember many times I have told you to get in touch with the Merrill FFA advisor. She will help you.

I worked with kids all my life and trust me I know what the hell I am talking about.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a service call to fix one of these today, cleaned the carb and put fresh fuel and its a running good, I need to find a new idler pulley to keep the traction belt engaged, any ideas where to find one?

Attachments

• IMG_20240611_103327806~2.jpg
    IMG_20240611_103327806~2.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240611_103336492~2.jpg
    IMG_20240611_103336492~2.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 3

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With all due respect there is no way in hell you cannot tell there is not a dairy farm near you that needs help. The big boys like Foremost used to pay $20/hr. Since you are I believe 17 , the state regs might kick on there. I no longer get the Wisconsin Agri View paper so I am not sure who is hiring up there. I know here you could easily earn $15/hr and work as many hours as you want......over 60. That is in beef, hogs, and row crops as dairy is gone.

If you remember many times I have told you to get in touch with the Merrill FFA advisor. She will help you.

I worked with kids all my life and trust me I know what the hell I am talking about.
I’m not 17 until November. I would get in touch with the FFA advisor if it wasn’t for the fact that we are moving this late Summer sadly, to the northern part of the state, I’m moving back tho when I graduate.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a service call to fix one of these today, cleaned the carb and put fresh fuel and its a running good, I need to find a new idler pulley to keep the traction belt engaged, any ideas where to find one?
Cool.
eBay and or Amazon if you haven’t checked already.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not 17 until November. I would get in touch with the FFA advisor if it wasn’t for the fact that we are moving this late Summer sadly, to the northern part of the state, I’m moving back tho when I graduate.
Where at in northern Wisconsin? I was just talking with a guy that lives around Rhinelander. My neighbor just got back from fishing in Hayward..

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where at in northern Wisconsin? I was just talking with a guy that lives around Rhinelander. My neighbor just got back from fishing in Hayward..
We are moving to St. Germain, which is in Vilas County. We are in Rhinelander often for stuff or passing through.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those were made by Gehl I believe but I am not sure what Gehl model is crosses to, if any. Deere was horrible for making vendors use Deere specific parts. They did that so that folks were forced to buy parts from Deere. The 425 mower was an example. It had a Kawasaki engine but Kawasaki could not sell you parts for it.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are moving to St. Germain, which is in Vilas County. We are in Rhinelander often for stuff or passing through.

That should be the Northland Pines School District. Excellent place

Power and Transportation..........Small engines and Auto

Engineering and Design.

Manufacturing Technology

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That should be the Northland Pines School District. Excellent place

Power and Transportation..........Small engines and Auto

Engineering and Design.

Manufacturing Technology
Correct. My sister is probably going there full time. I’m staying virtual though, but most definitely considering doing dual enrollment just so I can go there for any combination of welding, auto, and small engines. My sister had a tour thing at that school and the one next to it last week and I went with cuz I didn’t have anywhere else to go, it seems to be an excellent place indeed, neither my mom or I have seen a hallway that quiet during changing of classes, the students seemed way more respectful than down here, they seem to have great opportunities and a lot of equipment.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why is it you want to go to online school?

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why is it you want to go to online school?
To save time and be around less people. I’ve been in it for 4 years now and I like it way better than public school. It takes way less time and it’s on my own schedule, I still manage all As and Bs for grades.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To save time and be around less people. I’ve been in it for 4 years now and I like it way better than public school. It takes way less time and it’s on my own schedule, I still manage all As and Bs for grades.
What do you plan on doing after graduation?