Should I buy this skid steer

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The youngin generally posts in the Day Care thread but this one has morphed into a similar one. It is still on topic because no he should not buy the skid loader. He should get is rubber duckies in a row. Cold hard reality is about to set in
Ryan is also right, risk takers sometimes win. Logan is a smart kid, he will be ok. We can't all do it our way. Did you make the best decisions at his age? I know I didn't. I turned out ok. He will as well. Leading, horses, and water and all that! Etc.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ryan is also right, risk takers sometimes win. Logan is a smart kid, he will be ok. We can't all do it our way. Did you make the best decisions at his age? I know I didn't. I turned out ok. He will as well. Leading, horses, and water and all that! Etc.

I hope he grows to be someone that laughs at the people that used follow him around on an outdoor power equipment forum.

I know some really smart people who are incredibly average people.

I know some people with average intelligence but have the work ethic and hustle of an ox that are doing life in a big way.

This kid can decide what he wants for himself.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose it depends on what the vocation is. Mine for a lineman pays me a little over $100k. My wife has spent $150k in nursing education (granted its college) to be a anesthetist nurse and makes a tick over $200k. So i guess it all depends in what you want to learn.

Ryan i know you’re a smart dude and could make a *s-word ton of money in building construction.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on what the vocation is. Mine for a lineman pays me a little over $100k. My wife has spent $150k in nursing education (granted its college) to be a anesthetist nurse and makes a tick over $200k. So i guess it all depends in what you want to learn.

Ryan i know you’re a smart dude and could make a *s-word ton of money in building construction.

Trees are no different, doing around a mil a year is average if you have a good crew and get somewhat established.

Could I make more swinging a hammer ? Maybe..My friends in the roofing business are doing 40-50k a month for the nice 9 months of the year.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pothole, you really have no idea how much you don't know. If you ever want to buy some property, and have a place of your own, you have to think long term. Tractor supply is not going to provide you with enough income to live a comfortable life. Look around this site, just about everyone is a professional something. Or an entrepreneur. The business owners that do tree removal and logging, enjoy their work, and have made a living. Most will tell you it is a hard life. There is nothing wrong with that, but you will get older like the rest of us. Ask how many wish they maybe took an easier path? A strong man can outwork many. There is another muscle between your ears, that will get you further.

Wisdom is wasted on old people, we are all trying to give it to you for free, and you are resisting. Think long term Logan!
I agree it is. I remember my father calling me an idiot for doing countless things and he was right a lot more than what I want to admit. There are few that stand out.
He spent 35 years working for Heinz and did very, very well but he never wanted me working there. They used to hire summer help while they were processing tomatoes. I wanted to work there but he was opposed. Finally his last summer when he knew he was retiring he said "fine you want to be an idiot have at it" so I went to work there. His final day was the last Friday in August. We walked out together with our hard hats in hand. He said "Son, you are idiot if you go back in there.". His retirement party lasted well into the night. The next morning I got the call to come in for overtime and of course I went in. I continued to work there 3rd shift while in college. it was a tough schedule but I made it until I took a job with the US Army Corps of Engineers. I think Dad was actually testing me to see how I would react but I cannot ask him anymore

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I have a cousin that has a degree from Oklahoma and was a merit scholar there..

Then he went to Carnegie Mellon and furthered his education in research..it's a miracle we're related..he drives a prius..has no friends..and I don't think he's ever gotten a piece of ass in his life...if I called him weird I don't think it would do him any justice..he is an over-educated idiot in my opinion, doesn't make a ton of money either..

I've always said life is as much about who you know as it is what you know.

Success means something different to everyone.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well do you remember when I said this.............

I am sorry if what I am going to say here seems rough and offensive but dammit it is the cold hard reality!

Ever since I started interacting with you I have told you that you needed to drop that online virtual school crap, go to real school, enroll in Vocational Education courses, Agriculture and FFA. For whatever reason you still to this day think you are doing fine with the online school crap. You are just taking the easy path and trust me young man it will bite you in the arse and very, very soon.

Earlier today you said you were moving north. I provided information regarding the school district and their vocational offerings. You were still adamant that you were not going to enroll in school and just go online.

Your reply floored me.o_O

So your main objectives in life are to save time and not be around people? Well what are you saving time for, staying away from people and looking for junk? If you feel you can make a living not being around people you are in for a big surprise.

You should remember that I told you to stop wasting time this summer looking for junk such as that skid loader and spend the summer earning money. Since you mentioned VanDerGeest I did a bit of research. They are right in your area and yes indeed they will hire a kid at 16. I spoke with a very nice lady there today and in fact they have a 12 year old working there, albeit he is the son of an employee. I asked about Wisconsin laws regarding employment of folks under 18 and she said they were fine. I thought you would be fine at your age but she confirmed it.

Here is where your lack of enrolling in vocational classes and FFA is an issue and proves my point. She said someone with no experience (such as you) would begin at $7.25/hr. She also said they had just hired a 17 year old that had experience at $14/hr. Guess what he was in FFA. That should tell you something.

Probably should have been focused on education and skills instead of on saving time and avoiding people........ :rolleyes:

Of course it is not too late to change but it seems you are too stubborn to see it. For reasons I cannot understand you are dead-set on avoiding trades education and gaining real life work skills. I do not get that. That is your choice but I will tell you it will cost you in the end. Not everyone has to go to college but everyone needs an education and training to have a successful career. Scrapping and mowing yards provides neither. Now before you or someone else gets all steamed up yes indeed some folks do turning scraping into a business but it is rare. Yes some start out mowing yards and build it into a successful career. It is very possible but those folks are few and far between. I hate to tell you but real life is not a Gary Paulsen book.

Yes I read it to my sons many times

View attachment 422619
I want time for my small engine projects and working at my grandma’s farm and virtual school allows me to do much more of that.
I honestly admitted to you that I am staying in virtual school, as I said, I am most definitely considering going for dual enrollment so I can do any combination of welding, auto, and small engines at Northland Pines.
As soon as I get my new windshield in this week I plan on going to VanderGeest or at least getting in touch with them. One of their locations is only 3 miles from me. Thank you very much for the information. I’ll have to see what exactly qualifies as experience. While I haven’t been in FFA and I have not driven trial farm tractors before, I have been on farms my whole life and have been around equipment and I’ve worked in barns, etc… My mom doesn’t want me driving tractor tho for some reason, she’s really weird and everyone agrees, she’s weird about tons of things, literally everyone agrees. She’ll let me drive tractor when I buy my own tho. Surely there’s things other than work that involves tractor driving there, like barn cleaning, lawn care, etc…
I have read that book.

Reactions: Lnk

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, he's smarter than that.

Instead he bought a bunch of apartment complexs with the money he's earned and started to create generational wealth.

Good thing he didn't take average advice from really average people, he'd never be where he is.

I wish I would've been as smart as he was at a young age, I did it the hard way. My "vocational" training was barely worth a warm cup of piss. He was 30 years old living like a king and all the kids in my welding class were lucky to make 75k a year for 60 hour work weeks and hated their life.

If this kid has the hustle and ambition to make the moves he needs to I hope he has the balls to do it.
You totally missed my point. I doubt your friend is making $17,000 per month mowing yards by himself is he?
Now you are talking about rental income. I have a bit of experience in that being in the rental business for years. Of course it has nothing to do with making the $17,000 per month mowing yards and comparing that to a guy or gal in the trades.

If you want to make that comparison then OK my wife's grandfather was a tool and die maker....trades........... and before his passing his income from his rental. properties was well past $17,000/month :) . Hell I think he made that in one town alone.

To me this is not a pissing match about who makes more money. I could give two turds less. It is about a young man who appears to have some drive but is having a real tough time with focus.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trees are no different, doing around a mil a year is average if you have a good crew and get somewhat established.

Could I make more swinging a hammer ? Maybe..My friends in the roofing business are doing 40-50k a month for the nice 9 months of the year.
Again are they doing that by themself?
You seem to be trying to compare a business to a single person and no damn roofer is making 40-50K a month by themself.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Again are they doing that by themself?
You seem to be trying to compare a business to a single person and no damn roofer is making 40-50K a month by themself.

No, I'm not reducing this kid to my version of him. He'll figure it out..I hope.

I don't think a bunch of strangers on a forum are gonna help him find his focus...lol.

40-50k a month ? Well..after you pay 3 laborers 5k a month of that 50k you made 35 of it for yourself.

Money isn't my measure of success, never was. I know rich people who hate their life just like poor people do.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, I'm not reducing this kid to my version of him. He'll figure it out..I hope.

I don't think a bunch of strangers on a forum are gonna help him find his focus...lol.

40-50k a month ? Well..after you pay 3 laborers 5k a month of that 50k you made 35 of it for yourself.

Money isn't my measure of success, never was. I know rich people who hate their life just like poor people do.
You have just made my point.
You are quoting business income not personal income.
Folks that run down education and the trades are folks that irritate me.
Education can never be taken away.
The kid needs an education and it will not be found in some damn virtual school.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
4:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The kid needs an education and it will not be found in some damn virtual school.
It is the most top rated virtual school in WI for 12 yrs straight. It is legal legit education.

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suggest a trade too. I was out of school went to work in a factory no trade shift work, not happy. Five years later, a fire happened there and no job. Went to trade school became union electrician. 40 year career and good life. Paid Vacation, Health insurance, weekends off.
Retirement benefits and 401K. Working for yourself can be beneficial, but is is a hard life. Always a demand on your time.
Many self employed make a fine life and I admire them. If you go this route be sure to put some aside early for retirement and rainy day, no sick days or paid time off.
The only way to make money with out being around a lot of people is farming. Then you still have to buy equipment gas house goods, building materials. Cars trucks wife and children all need money and time too. No way to make it on just your own, that I have seen.
Even off the grid people in Alaska rely on other people.
I find that helping others is what brings me the most satisfaction..
That what you are doing mowing lawns. That should be your second job not the first if you stay in the country.
Live where it makes you happy, but find a skill there that can support a good life.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually, some of the best education I have ever received was from learning things on my own. I went down rabbit hole after rabbit hole chasing knowledge about things that interested me. Everytime I ran into a related topic I didn't understand, I would take that exit and only continue my original journey after I learned that segue. Everyone is different and I can't define success or happiness for anyone else. A man can be happy only if he is happy where he is.

Edited to add:
Whatever you do, you are selling or renting out your time. Only you know what it is worth, and you have no idea how much you have to sell. So use it wisely. Someday you will be out of it, so enjoy what you have.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suggest hvac as a trade. A smart kid like you would do well.
I have, well had, a cousin that was a Teamster truck driver. He drove for Sears. In 1980 when President Carter signed the trucking deregulation act Sears canned their drivers. Now folks that is not political it is just a fact. At that point guess what he did. He unutilized his trades education and Army Reserves experience. He had a 2 year Associates Degree in HVAC and worked in the HVAC field for awhile.

His pension was in the Teamsters and he was offered the opportunity to drive for Consolidated Freightways. He took it. He was a long haul driver with a partner. Ken did not smoke but I am betting his team driver did. Well all the years of that took its toll. He was very sick ending up receiving a double lung and kidney transplant up at Mayo Clinic. He made it to retirement but sadly still died way too young at age 68.

Now my point is he was able to utilize his education and experience to get he and his family through tough times. Had had not had the trades education he just might have been saying ... "Do you want fries with that"

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell no I did not make my best decisions at his age. Had I listened to my buddy's Dad and spent the night there instead of driving home pissed off about a girl I would not be in the shape I am. I was 5 days past my 17th birthday and I thought I knew better. I took a corner way too fast and rolled my car end over end flying out of the window. I laid in the ditch from midnight til 7 am. I spent the next 3 weeks in orthopedic surgery and 3 months not walking. To this day I walk like a moron.

Now I realize the conversation is job choices, education, and career paths and no I will say with 100% certainty I did not make the best decisions there either. I left my job with the US Army Corps of Engineers to be a teacher. Had I listened to my Father and stayed I would be enjoying retirement. No I did not make the best choice. I will say I was given some hellacious good advice that I discounted and it has cost me dearly. I hate to see others do the same.

As a former trades educator I cannot tell you how many students come back later and say "Damn Mr. G. I wish I would have listened more.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lineman is a perfect example. For those here that cannot grasp how lucrative the trade is compared to how little "in school" education is required it might be best to inform them. I know a decent amount about what is required but it would be best to hear it from the horses mouth instead.

That is where many of my students went. ......15 months of "school learning" and then you are on your way to a lucrative and rewarding career.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is the most top rated virtual school in WI for 12 yrs straight. It is legal legit education.
With all due respect comparing virtual schools is like comparing these two beauties........

1718165783276.png
..........at the end of the day they are still piles of poop