Lay Trac mini dozer

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody have any experience with these or a similar size struck dozer? I found this one facebook and im debating picking it up to use for skidding short logs out of the woods and yards and close to the truck so i can buck them into firewood sized chunks. This is a Laytrac built in Seattle in the 50's. Has a 3 speed trans with reverse, 10 hp clinton motor. Weighs around 1k lbs. From the very limited information i can find they are rated around 1200-1500 lbs of draw bar pulling weight. Anyone have experience with them? Screenshot_20210325-194845_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210325-194841_Facebook.jpg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know a thing about it or have a need for it, but I would buy it anyway!

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, really cool, how much do they want for it?

Just goes to show you could build your own mini skid.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Struck still markets DIY kits for these things. They look like a ton of fun to me, even if they won't do anything my tractor can also do.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Struck still markets DIY kits for these things. They look like a ton of fun to me, even if they won't do anything my tractor can also do.
I thought they came fully built now? I almost bought a new one before buying my L3800 Kubota. Struck set me up with a customer about an hour away to test out one. It had the loader and backhoe attachment. A kit would be cool.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought they came fully built now? I almost bought a new one before buying my L3800 Kubota. Struck set me up with a customer about an hour away to test out one. It had the loader and backhoe attachment. A kit would be cool.

According to the website you can buy it either way.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a huge fan of miniature heavy machinery. Doesn't Komatsu sell a truly downsized version of their dozer in non-western countries?

walkdog

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Cool find! Sounds like you really need a mini skid steer / stand on track loader, though!

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Depends on what they are asking for it. Looks like a fairly useful machine.

suoinnvet

OPE Member
Local time
5:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It seems that it is the compact bulldozer, maybe this machine is suitable for a small amount of work. I would buy a medium-capacity bulldozer for efficient work if I was getting a bulldozer. Moreover, it can be rented out to other people; hourly rentals of heavy equipment are pretty expensive. More recently, I was looking at online modern heavy equipment. Frankly speaking, I was surprised at how powerful the equipment became. Also, I am pleased that modern manufacturers are adding more electronics.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a rule of thumb the average crawler will pull about 90 percent of it's weight on a dead load . I doubt seriously if that toy crawler will pull as much as an 8N Ford . It might be good as yard Cat if the yard isn't too large .The smallest I've ever owned was an Oliver/Cletrac model HG -68 at around 4,000 pounds and 20 HP .It would drag a fairly large log but needed a lower hole than the three speed tranny .A converted ag tractor .The good thing was with 10" pads it would walk right over muddy ground you'd sink in up to your knees in .
I used the hydraulic pump from a John-Deere 350 with three inch lift cylinders and the blade would move like lightning which made it a good little grader on small jobs .

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a rule of thumb the average crawler will pull about 90 percent of it's weight on a dead load . I doubt seriously if that toy crawler will pull as much as an 8N Ford . It might be good as yard Cat if the yard isn't too large .The smallest I've ever owned was an Oliver/Cletrac model HG -68 at around 4,000 pounds and 20 HP .It would drag a fairly large log but needed a lower hole than the three speed tranny .A converted ag tractor .The good thing was with 10" pads it would walk right over muddy ground you'd sink in up to your knees in .
I used the hydraulic pump from a John-Deere 350 with three inch lift cylinders and the blade would move like lightning which made it a good little grader on small jobs .

I had an Oliver OC-46 gas loader that weighed around 7,800 pounds. It pulled my IH rollback with a truck on the back (about 18,000 total) up a hill from where I buried it. I was the only one there so it was all dead weight.

I have probably owned 25 Oliver and Cletrac crawlers ranging from HGs up to an OC-96.