Need your thoughts on this 372XT melt down, I have some

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back story. About two years ago I rebuilt this 372xt for a local gentleman, using all new oem parts. Saw needed new p/c, bearings, seals, o-ring, gaskets, lines and some smalls. Saw came to me with used motor oil for bar oil, p/c junk due to bearing failure and dirty.

He called and stated saw was running fine then just quit while he was cutting. Said he had only cut about 15 pulp cords into firewood and thought that should not have happened. I replied leave it by that tree (clearing snow with tractor at the time) and would check it out. Here is what was found, pulled muffler (scored), did vacuum check before removing cylinder and it held vacuum. Dumped fuel into glass jar for comments on what oil mix he could be using. Believe cylinder is still usable after cleaning. Piston scored almost completely around piston and rings are stuck on exhaust side. Here is my thoughts, piston looks like just seconds away from showing it was straight gassed for light oil mix. I get it Husqvarna's are junk, bolts and screws fall out (nope, I used blue thread locker) when doing first rebuild.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9220.JPG
    IMG_9220.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9221.JPG
    IMG_9221.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9224.JPG
    IMG_9224.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9225.JPG
    IMG_9225.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9226.JPG
    IMG_9226.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 58

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn't look like much oil in that fuel does it?

I dont know diddly about fixing up these saws, but I do know that fuel aint got much oil if any in it.
That is what I am thinking, but I only use Husqvarna or Dolmar blue. Maybe others have used what he is and it gives a light green tint.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is what I am thinking, but I only use Husqvarna or Dolmar blue. Maybe others have used what he is and it gives a light green tint.
Did he say what oil he was using?

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did he say what oil he was using?
I have not asked yet. Everyone knows how it goes, you question them and it's either you don't know what your talking about, I would never do that, or crap I let my neighbor use my saw. Just wanted others thoughts before I get my azz handed to me. Not really worried, I have enough parts to put it in running condition.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At least his ran for more than one tank. The key indicator when I was at the dealership was when a customer brought something
back after one tank (i.e. they ran it for the one tank of good gas we put in it, and then it didn't run after that).

Your guy probably forgot and then thought he mixed it right.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Duece, Here is my 2 cents. Some canned pre mix off brands are light on the dye. But that crankcase and crank kinda tell the low mix ratio story. I still think you need to test that gas for alcohol. Get a graduated glass beaker in ml. Put 100 ml of gas in it. Then add 10ml of water. Mark the separation line on the beaker. Let it set overnight and do not shake it. See how many millileters you are above 10. That will be you alcohol % when you do the math. I also have a glass tube from Briggs and Stratton that is the same principle on a smaller scale of fluid. If the saw owner has any dignity he will own up to the mix. If not, sorry to say you will prolly lose both ways monetarily and fapper mouthing. Good luck

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Duece, Here is my 2 cents. Some canned pre mix off brands are light on the dye. But that crankcase and crank kinda tell the low mix ratio story. I still think you need to test that gas for alcohol. Get a graduated glass beaker in ml. Put 100 ml of gas in it. Then add 10ml of water. Mark the separation line on the beaker. Let it set overnight and do not shake it. See how many millileters you are above 10. That will be you alcohol % when you do the math. I also have a glass tube from Briggs and Stratton that is the same principle on a smaller scale of fluid. If the saw owner has any dignity he will own up to the mix. If not, sorry to say you will prolly lose both ways monetarily and fapper mouthing. Good luck
Thanks for that. Doubt he buys canned fuel, but maybe.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scoring anywhere beyond the exhaust side is almost always from straight gas. Someone could have straight gassed it earlier, and then filled it up with decent mix and kept running it until it got bad enough to lock the rings.

Show him some nice oily pics of what they are supposed to look like, and then compare to his

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not asked yet. Everyone knows how it goes, you question them and it's either you don't know what your talking about, I would never do that, or crap I let my neighbor use my saw. Just wanted others thoughts before I get my azz handed to me. Not really worried, I have enough parts to put it in running condition.
A full circle wipe out like that is a sure indication of lack of lubricant. Save the fuel in the jar so you can show the owner if need be and just straight up tell him what you found and he's responsible. I had a similar thing happen and when I talked with the fella on the phone and told him what happened, he says "I just looked and the oil I was supposed to dump in the fuel is still right where I left it". So don't always assume it will go bad with the person. There's material out there from the major manufacturers on the subject that can be found on the internet if you need to show him in black and white.