Shortages are back

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
9:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are one of the fortunate ones who stocked up on ammo and reloading components over the last three years, pat yourself on the back, well done.

The shortages are back. In a 48hr period last week, most of the low cost .22 ammo disappeared. Same with some reloading components, especially the most popular propellants.

Prices of ammo were starting to rise, due to the election, but the Coronavirus sent things over the edge.
I hope it's not as severe as the last one, but don't see it changing, at least until after the election and maybe not then.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ere's to hoping that sanity prevails, and preparation for it not doing so...

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
10:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ha i don't think we've seen anything yet. If martial law is fully declared, that'll be a high value, high dollar commodity that hardly anyone will part with plus all gun/ ammo stores will be shut down. Kinda like they are now. See whats happening yet?

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ha i don't think we've seen anything yet. If martial law is fully declared, that'll be a high value, high dollar commodity that hardly anyone will part with plus all gun/ ammo stores will be shut down. Kinda like they are now. See whats happening yet?
When Missouri implemented the shut down order, the order specifically states that establishments that sell guns are deemed essential.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gun shops, BPS, Cabelas, Sportsman’s Warehouse, etc, are open here. They have shortages but they are open.

Ranges are closed but you can go in and purchase stuff

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When i posted that like 3 weeks ago there were some states or cities that were quick to close gun stores however yes, now they have been ruled essential and are open

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always keep a good stock of ammo and reloading stuff because shortages are just a fact of life. I have zero sympathy for those folks who decide they suddenly need to buy guns and ammo because of an election or some sort of crisis is going on. It's like, you didn't care about it before so why start caring about it now? The other day a customer came in to my side job shop and decided that now was the time to buy his very first carry gun and ammo. He was impatient and disappointed that the only pistols with matching ammo that we had were the .40 S&W. And, it's not like he just turned 21, this dude was in his 50's. He has had DECADES to pick out a carry gun but waits until the middle of a panic to finally act on it. No, zero fudges given for you pal.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Amazing how it works with some folks who never gave two *s-wordts about guns/ammo...and they think the mfg’rs need to personally carry *s-wordt straight their doors, because now they wanna spend their mighty dollar!

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m good on ammo but pretty light on 9mm rounds but thats my fault. I’ve bought 2 guns now since this Covid-19 crap started. Just because i got a good deal and hell, why not?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are getting caught back up, slowly. If we don't have it today it should be here tomorrow or the next day. One thing that bothers me is, some manufacturers will lower QC to get product out the door. I used to use nothing but Remington 1.5 primers for all my handgun rounds. In 2012, I suddenly started getting a large percentage that were too hard for any of my guns to set off. I think they were mixing in small rifle primers to increase their supply. I still don't trust them for ammo that simply has to work.

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Amazing how it works with some folks who never gave two *s-wordts about guns/ammo...and they think the mfg’rs need to personally carry *s-wordt straight their doors, because now they wanna spend their mighty dollar!
I find that those same people are usually the same people who never prepare for anything and if shtf they just think they'll go to someone's house who is prepared. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Oh I'll just come over to your house if it gets bad". Ummm no. My family comes first and we didn't prepare to feed the lazy and unprepared. Either figure it out or suffer the consequences

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In Kentucky, gun and ammo sellers are considered an essential business and can remain open. My favorite local shop has decided to close for two weeks. The owner said both his traffic and inventory are way down and he has a bunch of other things that need his attention right now.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They’re essential here too but they don’t seem to be getting ammo. The weekend sales paper shows its on sale though.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around here the guns are getting restocked but the ammo is not at all.

What gets me is they put it all on sale but don’t have any of it.
A lot of those sales were planned and the flyers printed, before this hit.

I haven't really looked for ammo, other than to walk by the gun counter, if I'm in a store that has one. Ammo is still in extremely short supply, everywhere I've been and the ammo that's available is crap, selling at inflated prices. Steel cased Russian 9mm @ $.40 a round.......WTF?

I'm really glad I stocked up over the last three years.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would be leery of buying huge quantities of new ammo right now. Manufacturers can and do cut corners to get product out the door. They know there is serious money to be made right now, and you can't expect all of them to maintain their usual standards (which may not be all that great to begin with). Besides the hard primers I mentioned earlier, right now I am using up a brick of Thunderbolt .22's that I remember I bought during one of the many panics of the last decade. The rounds in this particular brick are marginal in rifles, and downright unreliable in handguns. As in, when fired from a handgun about 1 in 10 rounds has a very soft report and keyholes the target.