Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
3:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was referring to Dolkitafreak’s 240psi saw. Seems on the margin.

At some point the volume gets so small the saw detonates once it heats up.

I don’t really know if there if distinct gain to a wider band. That’s what I was getting at to begin with. I think it might. Just like I think a diagonal band creates a small gain. Small gains are harder to identify.

Up stroke is where resistance is going to slow the piston. Eventually more compression will create more resistance than force gained on the down stroke. That’s my thinking. Is that baseless? I think you’re saying more compression is usually better, smaller volume is better. It’s that simple. I’m open to that. Maybe my high compression concerns are unfounded.

I don't believe that your thinking is baseless, just on a different plane
I didn't say either one, I asked a few questions based on your response. I'm very carefull not to say most blanket statements
But since it seems like you're asking, so I'll venture out .......................

I've seen 245 psi in 90cc saws, and they werent held back at all. I've seen 275 in a smaller saw and it just wouldnt run right, a little more out of the squish and she was a beast. Did that have something to do with the squish band, or compression ? I believe it had too much compression, not too narrow of a squish band. There is a point in which too much compression becomes an issue.

In the saws I do for others, I like to get input from owners as to what fuel they run, their intended use, then make decisions about squish, timing, and compression

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to prove without a 2 pc head. And even then it could be the smaller combustion chamber that caused the change in running characteristics rather than the increased compression.

It never made much sense before but in this context it does. Build a 2-ring saw with 240 lbs or so compression and run it with the top ring only. And then run it with the bottom ring only. Most of the other parameters stay the same this way as far as port height, shape, and area
I agree 100% on the two ring example and then toss out the bottom ring, everything else should remain the same except compression

Does the ring seal off the exhaust port and transferrs, or does the piston seal it off ?

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For discussion sake lets automatically agree that the angle is best for squish, it wouldn't necessarily be the most powerful in a small, simple two stroke like a chainsaw has. They don't have the benefit of multiple ports like a larger modern motorcycle or snowmobile engine has. Also, there are plenty of examples out there of factory angled squish bands already in existence, which (we) can make run better by flattening them back out.
Just like there is two sides to every story, there's two ends to every stroke. So in other words, taking away a large advantage at one end to gain a small advantage at the other end isn't a very good trade. And trust me on this one, there's always a trade off when we work an engine over, everything we do has a positive and/or negative affect. The more positives you can get in your corner, the better off you will be.
I was just putting something up that I read, I haven't tried one that was flat and then cut a 1 degree angle to the band so I don't know if there's a difference but I don't think that a 1 degree angle on a 12mm squish band is going to cost more than a couple of pounds of compression but if the article is correct, it would give you quicker combustion.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just putting something up that I read, I haven't tried one that was flat and then cut a 1 degree angle to the band so I don't know if there's a difference but I don't think that a 1 degree angle on a 12mm squish band is going to cost more than a couple of pounds of compression but if the article is correct, it would give you quicker combustion.

I didn't say one word about compression.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
8:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But don’t it say in the 2stroke tuners handbook, squish is lost fuel as in combustion.

but how much is actually lost to us maybe a lot different in a bike race..;)

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't say one word about compression.
Sorry, I assumed that you were referring to lost compression, why would a 1 degree angle cause a saw to be less powerful vs a flat band?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't believe that your thinking is baseless, just on a different plane
I didn't say either one, I asked a few questions based on your response. I'm very carefull not to say most blanket statements
But since it seems like you're asking, so I'll venture out .......................

I've seen 245 psi in 90cc saws, and they werent held back at all. I've seen 275 in a smaller saw and it just wouldnt run right, a little more out of the squish and she was a beast. Did that have something to do with the squish band, or compression ? I believe it had too much compression, not too narrow of a squish band. There is a point in which too much compression becomes an issue.

In the saws I do for others, I like to get input from owners as to what fuel they run, their intended use, then make decisions about squish, timing, and compression

Yep, I’m asking. I appreciate you sharing and value your experience. Just trying to understand.

I’m thinking now that I want more compression…and medium band width.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
im thinking im glad i sent my saw to scott to work his magic on.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry, I assumed that you were referring to lost compression, why would a 1 degree angle cause a saw to be less powerful vs a flat band?

The piston has things happening at the bottom of the stroke as well as the top...

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m thinking now that I want medium band width.
If I could ??

I wouldnt put it that way,
I'd rather say that aiming for squish band area of 50% of the bore +/- 10% is what I look to get

Remember, I'm machining it, so I should be as accurate as I can get

Thats my thoughts

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i am assuming you are talking about a removable head, since you are machining and can make it however you want why 50% of bore and what shape of cylinder head domed with the plug in the center? would you want an angle on the band or flat and how much volume or how big of combustion chamber.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ok since you are machining and can make it however you want why 50% of bore and what shape of cylinder head domed with the plug in the center? would you want an angle on the band or flat and how much volume or how big of combustion chamber.
50% - ish of the bore has shown to be close to ideal in several 2 stroke handbooks

Cylinder head plug in the center to me is a given

I have grown to like spinning both the squish and piston crown at an angle

Chamber size depends on displacement

You really MUST drill down to individual details for the particular saw you are thinking or speaking about.
What fuel are you running ?
What purpose is the saw going to serve ?
What saw is it ?
Pipe or muffler ?
Etc ...........

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i assumed your answer would be close to the one you gave. thank you

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
50% - ish of the bore has shown to be close to ideal in several 2 stroke handbooks

Cylinder head plug in the center to me is a given

I have grown to like spinning both the squish and piston crown at an angle

Chamber size depends on displacement

You really MUST drill down to individual details for the particular saw you are thinking or speaking about.
What fuel are you running ?
What purpose is the saw going to serve ?
What saw is it ?
Pipe or muffler ?
Etc ...........

Just for clarity, 50% of bore diameter?

I.E.:
50mm bore/2 = 25mm
25mm/2 =band width (13.5mm)

I’m curious what angle you like the best for a diagonal band. I do 2511t at about 22.5 degrees. Seem too steep?

As far as calculating the chamber, where would one find a formula for that?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just for clarity, 50% of bore diameter?

I.E.:
50mm bore/2 = 25mm
25mm/2 =band width (13.5mm)

I’m curious what angle you like the best for a diagonal band. I do 2511t at about 22.5 degrees. Seem too steep?

As far as calculating the chamber, where would one find a formula for that?
50% - ish of the bore area (or with a flat top piston, crown area) should be the area of the band

I dont calculate the chamber, I measure it

If 22.5 degrees works for you on the 2511t, then who am I to tell you otherwise ?
I will say that you are now getting into individual saw specifics, which is good, because 22.5 degrees doesnt seem like it would work for me, the way I do machine work to some other saws.
I'm not trying to be very evasive here, just cautious. My work speaks for itself, I have saws out there, and others who have run mine. I do my own work and am lucky to have a solid group of friends that know more about this than I do, and we have fun talking about everything, including saws. Saying 22.5 degrees is good or bad, I believe would be a mistake on my part. There's more to this than just shooting a number at someone

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
50% - ish of the bore area (or with a flat top piston, crown area) should be the area of the band

I dont calculate the chamber, I measure it

If 22.5 degrees works for you on the 2511t, then who am I to tell you otherwise ?
I will say that you are now getting into individual saw specifics, which is good, because 22.5 degrees doesnt seem like it would work for me, the way I do machine work to some other saws.
I'm not trying to be very evasive here, just cautious. My work speaks for itself, I have saws out there, and others who have run mine. I do my own work and am lucky to have a solid group of friends that know more about this than I do, and we have fun talking about everything, including saws. Saying 22.5 degrees is good or bad, I believe would be a mistake on my part. There's more to this than just shooting a number at someone

Copy. That will be a smaller number for squish width. I think I’m well over that for several saws.

As for angle, 2511t already has a diagonal band on the piston. I just match it. No idea why that angle was chosen but I’m interested in doing it on other saws.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would you happen to have any pictures of these saws squish bands ?

Disregard the second photo. I am unable to delete it but it’s too blurry to see.

Attachments

• 7D21C6CC-3D33-4B07-B626-5DC2CE73F999.jpeg
    7D21C6CC-3D33-4B07-B626-5DC2CE73F999.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 914AFD71-13E6-4F66-AD5D-211619344DF6.jpeg
    914AFD71-13E6-4F66-AD5D-211619344DF6.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 40
  • FF05E671-2C32-4A47-BC1B-CA2079C914DD.jpeg
    FF05E671-2C32-4A47-BC1B-CA2079C914DD.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 91403F38-ABDA-43A4-A79C-6343A43F7301.jpeg
    91403F38-ABDA-43A4-A79C-6343A43F7301.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 40

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So many awesome posts, going to address points w/o quoting people (to keep this as clear as I can!)

- "Too-much compression": How much, is too-much? Jennings & Blair both explain it as "a target", not "the more, the merrier", but that latter mindset is pervasive in chainsaw-building....could anyone help me understand this disconnect?
Too much compression hurts RPM's, yet I've not *once* heard a builder talk about how they reduced compression (or, basically, did anything but maximize it...), and all I can conclude is that it's because chainsaws' compression-ratios tend to be way lower than, say, a dirtbike's (8:1, 10.5:1, not 13+:1), ergo all chainsaws are inherently "way below" their optimal-performance compression-spec. Considering that hotter burns are more polluting (per HP generated), I don't have much trouble seeing/understanding that chainsaw OEM's comply to EPA guidelines by just keeping compression lower, but I can't reconcile that against the fact that racing dirtbikes do have real high comp.ratios.....maybe it's just different, looser EPA restrictions in that category? I could see some (EPA-)logic in that kind of classification/distinction between engine-use-cases (recreational race versus daily-duty landscape gear)

- How does timing play into compression, if at all? I only ask because I've found nothing that directly connects the two (well, just that over-advancing is more dangerous when compression is higher), but - like compression - advancement of ignition-timing is something that, in the chainsaw-performance world, it seems "it's always good". I've never once heard of someone retarding their timing yet Jennings and Blair give the impression that, all else equal, if you went and say raise your exhaust roof (thus raising RPM), that you'd want to retard your timing (yet the norm would probably still be to advance it, for instance my ported 660 woodruff is filed 20thou because that's what I heard recommended the most, I can't help thinking this was wrong but I don't have the means to properly test it) Think it was this forum, actually, that originated the idea (BLSnelling, IIRC) of timing advances via flywheel keyways, on an otherwise-untouched saw it should help but after reading more I keep getting an impression that on an RPM-advanced engine you would not want to advance the timing (maybe chainsaws come w/ such retarded timing, OEM, that even with higher RPM from raised-exhausts you'd still find yourself hitting peak cylinder pressure way too soon like 1deg past TDC, necessitating some advancement!)

- Compression #'s..... Is there any upper-ceiling for "plug-hole PSI" that you guys find yourselves adhering to, that you are intentionally refraining from exceeding this PSI? Or, in 9/10+ cases, is it "as much compression as I can practically add while doing the build"? Seems this is the case (which, again, makes me wonder why the OEM's would ubiquitously leave so much on the table, as stated perhaps EPA restrictions are harsher on OPE than on dirtbikes?)

- Spark plugs: Do any of you deviate from 'good regular plugs' (Champion Palladium etc) for other 'types' like wire type, high heat/cold plugs, etc? I know this isn't really comp.focused but very curious and is tangentially related :p

What about "types" of compression? Spark-plug PSI is all people seem to care about, giving me the impression it is the best yardstick for "general PSI", is this correct? I returned my gauge because I couldn't get consistent readings (and my stock 590 was hitting like 120psi, below oem spec, so knew I was not doing it right!)
But that ^ type of compression is almost "easily felt in the cord" at startup in my experience, and "good and high-comp" is as useful to me as some specific # PSI (as I've no idea what I would do w/ that PSI, or how to directly alter it once a build's over, etc....decking and not over-doing exhaust roof are literally the *2* ways I'm aware of to influence compression, oh and pop-ups of course....I suspect timing-advancement may as well since it's building compression earlier which'd mean a plug-hole-PSI reading would be higher, I'd LOVE if anyone knows off-hand the point of rotation we want peak cylinder pressure? Wanna say it's like 10 or 20deg ATDC that peak pressure should be achieved)

How about bottom-end versus top-end displacement?
I hear people saying how a bigger bottom-end shifts powerband to peak higher in the RPM range of the engine (not extending range just shifting, iirc) But then the other day I hear an anecdote about how some older 056/066 had a smaller crankcase and, if you put the newer/larger 660 head on it, it became a real thumper. This is in-contrast to how I understood it, am eager to learn more here! The books I read do seem to say that crankcases started getting smaller(in dirtbikes) in the 70's & 80's, that this was pushed "to the limit" w/ crankcase stuffing and all that....this'd lead me to think that, on a modern performance saw, that the crankcase/lower-end-volume is probably pretty dialed-in already, would love hearing any thoughts on this (in fact I cannot get it out of my head that my 660 big bore build worked better because of piston, and lower-transfers, porting...because that porting opened-up the lower end "proportionately" to the increased displacement of the top-end)

//PS- I lol'd at a 2511 with a d-handle the other day, I mean at 25cc if you're having trouble you should get it on the bench and retard the timing because 25cc's of high-compression shouldn't be tough lol, but it's made me wonder what some of the smallest saws are you guys've needed("greatly benefit from") a d-handle, if I'm being honest I always thought they were a fashion/aesthetic thing, or rather I know for fact they are, but now that a small Cerberus is trying to drop-start 100cc ported low-squish, now I have to wear a nitrile glove w/ the d-handle to even turn it on lol, so yeah am curious what CC's you guys' badass-build saws are needing d-handles, and would love hearing specific PSI #'s (both what you're getting, and stock or relative-to stock), everything I read says not to obsess on compression like chainsaw builders certainly do, as mentioned I can't stop thinking that it's an EPA thing and simply an artifact of that (IE that Stihl, unlike Yamaha, has to come in under 11:1...)