One ring vs two

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never seen it, but my dad always said they would run backwards.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Feed mill I worked at one summer in college had a crackerbox Dodge with a 318 and a 13 speed. I avoided that *b-word like the plague.
My dad bought a septic tank/ redi mix plant when I was 15. Had an early 70's ford f600? I believe. Tandem boom truck with a 330 ci gas. 5 and 3 twin stick. Needed all 15:facepalm:

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope just needed a new airfilter.

Powered a 671 out on a hill and when I clutched it she lit backwards. Oil bath filter on the side of the truck made a huge mess. Man I love old worn out junk.

Poor people have poor ways.

The best thing about my all my worn out junk is that it's mine!

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never seen it, but my dad always said they would run backwards.

Any other damage?
Just about any diesel with mechanical fuel injection can run backwards. It won't run well. Injection timing is retarded. If it runs long enough, the lower end will fail. The oil is pumping oil the wrong way.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
We have a few Oliver 1950 tractors they came with a 4 cylinder Detroit diesel, aka:Jimmy, I've got mad respect for anyone who can work with one of those all day with an open station and the exhaust pipe right in front of you. Dang things sounds like it's gonna spin out of control, hard to believe that they turn so low of rpm.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, two-stokes will run backward, old news. The bloke next door has collection of old tractors that have some that will reverse by using the injection system. Now about using one or two rings, what about three rings in a two-stroke.

I raced a Kawasaki 350 Bighorn rotary valve engine in my desert racer - it had three rings to dissipate heat from the piston. The first race I ran it in, I was running second in a field of about 300 racers when I reached the first check. As I came out of the check the engine seized. I don't know, probably some sort of heat build up without the air flow. Anyway, I got the engine running again and made my way back to the pits. When I tore down the engine the third ring was still free and that's what allowed me to get back to the pits.

I rebuilt the engine to different specs that allowed it to run cooler, but I kept the three rings remembering the reliability of the three rings. I ran the crap out of that engine in other races and NEVER was down on horsepower compared to other bikes I was racing against. In fact, I had the fastest bike in the club, which I attributed to the rotary valve engine. After about 6 races, I used to swap the bottom ring to the top position (the ring pins aligned) to pick up some extra compression.

If I was racing a chainsaw, I might go to one ring. However, in a day to day work saw, if the piston came with two rings, I'd definitely use two rings.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody no the weight difference between a oem 66 piston and a meteor? I believe the meteor is heavier but I can't remember. Need to order pistons.
288 piston is a decent chunk of aluminum,don't know how much it weighs either,one ring though.
I'll find out the piston weight answers in a week or so

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats a cool post a Terry. I bet you were pizzed coming second to have it sieze, but on the other hand pretty happy having confidence in your tuning ability to build a race winning bike. I like the concept of the rotary valve and the benefits it offers engineers.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpegimage.jpeg
Anybody no the weight difference between a oem 66 piston and a meteor? I believe the meteor is heavier but I can't remember. Need to order pistons.
288 piston is a decent chunk of aluminum,don't know how much it weighs either,one ring though.

I'll find out the piston weight answers in a week or so

Meteor 288 is the shiny one, the other is a mahle 066