One ring vs two

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
8:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No you just lap the ring. ...I have a misi ring tool you fit the ring in a use 1500 grit...wet sand it a little on a piece of glass
Im sure Im not the only one but Ill step up, Im confused. I understand lapping a valve to the seat but how the heck do you lap the ring to the land?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
7:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You lap the ring to the land for a better seal.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No you just lap the ring. ...I have a misi ring tool you fit the ring in a use 1500 grit...wet sand it a little on a piece of glass
So you lap the ring flat, but don't worry about the land?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I assume you put valve lapping compound on it in proper position and wiggle it around?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
One has to be lapped to the other for a matching seal.

spencerpaving

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You just lap the ring so it is perfectly flat...you would be surprised at how uneven some rings are...you can't do the grove because of the locating pin...the piston land is softer than the ring so if you start with a perfectly flat ring it will mate or "break in"" with the piston with some run time...like I said better done with a new piston. Not sure if it helps a lot or not...it's just a habit I do on any engine that I'm putting new piston and rings in. A out of round cyl will cause more comp leakage than anything else though

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All I can say is to try it. I broke a ring the other day, so now my 046 is only sportin one ring

Lol! That's really why I'm asking. I broke one too.

So..... top or bottom is empty? I only made it to page 3 or 4 where you guys were discussing which to leave out. :sconf:

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very interested in this..... I think for me I like the extra ring. I also think that I wouldn't change the ports that make the ring removal or pin changes necessary. I would sacrifice the gain to heep the extra life I feel I get in my mind at least. I would only run one ring if I broke one of them and needed my saw, or rings are nla.
In the pwc world it's always recommend to run pistons with more then one ring. All of the bullet cylinder makers are using 2 ring pistons. I know in my one ski it was rebuilt before I got it with old 1 ring slugs. I don't care for them so all I did was very lightly hone with same brand same size 2 ring slugs and gained over 20psi. Granted it may not have been broke in or even not broke in right before I got it but I saw with my ow. Eyed the gain in that application. I'm sure there are some applications that it's benificial to run 1 but to me it's a trade off of ring life and sealing . I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had a similar experience. Please continue I'm enjoying this.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I decided to try it with one ring because I like to experiment. Also the base gasket is deleted, squish was cut back to .016, muffler modded, and timing advance.
It's freaking cold and all my wood is buried in snow but I dug a piece out to try it on. I may have took the rakers a hair low but I think she's running pretty strong.
14" bar is pretty much buried.