Not Sold On Square Filing

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not always true, there’s sharp with a working corner above the tooth corner and a sharp with a beak that doesn’t last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you got a beak, you did it wrong.

Unless it was on purpose..

When I say sharp, I mean a true corner..

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed Clint !
The chassis is angled down a little towards the front.

Maybe @toolmaker can grab a few pictures of some cutters after he slaps that chain onto his saw ??

I will say this: Stihl chain has more consistency in their cutter profiles, this Oregon chain had lots of cutters that weren’t lining up to the same spot on the wheel. Hopefully my lemonade will put a nice smile on him !
I’m calling it now..

Second cut...
Stone in the bark....

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed Clint !
The chassis is angled down a little towards the front.

Maybe @toolmaker can grab a few pictures of some cutters after he slaps that chain onto his saw ??

I will say this: Stihl chain has more consistency in their cutter profiles, this Oregon chain had lots of cutters that weren’t lining up to the same spot on the wheel. Hopefully my lemonade will put a nice smile on him !
Absolutely, I will post some pics. I was told that I will need to lower my rakers according to the wood that I will be cutting, so after I do that I will get some pics before the chain gets dirty.
No question that I have the saw to pull the chain, Kevin did a really good job with it!
All the wood I cut is good 'ol Pa. hardwood. Red and white oak, locust, and cherry. sometimes green, sometimes dried deadpoles, depends on what I find.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Absolutely, I will post some pics. I was told that I will need to lower my rakers according to the wood that I will be cutting, so after I do that I will get some pics before the chain gets dirty.
No question that I have the saw to pull the chain, Kevin did a really good job with it!
All the wood I cut is good 'ol Pa. hardwood. Red and white oak, locust, and cherry. sometimes green, sometimes dried deadpoles, depends on what I find.
Ummmmm, not quite what I suggest ..............
You're going to have to adjust the rakers for your preference, I left them stock
Some like tall rakers, some like shorter, depends on powerhead and type of wood that you're cutting

Lets have you get the chain on the saw, grab a few pics of both sides of both left & right cutters, then try the chain as it is.
After all of that, you can decide IF the rakers should be adjusted

Gotta LOVE any saw ported by a guy named Kevin !
:D

Last edited:

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought I would throw a coupla' pics at this thread about the Central Pa. lumber. These pics are a2 or 3 years old. since then I have added a 4500 lb. ATV winch to my log arch. Last week i had hold of a 31" Red Oak 12 ft/ long, dragged it out of a creek bottom at my campsite. Skidder2.jpg Skidder2.jpg Log Arch.jpg Log_Arch.jpg

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you been able to get the chain on the saw ?

Have you cut with it yet ?

Im hoping that you didn’t have to go to the emergency room and get stitches when you pulled the chain outta the box !

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you been able to get the chain on the saw ?

Have you cut with it yet ?

Im hoping that you didn’t have to go to the emergency room and get stitches when you pulled the chain outta the box !
Should he put safety glasses on? Might cut his eyes just to look at it.

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The chain was delivered, and I thank you very kindly for your services.
Yes, I looked at it.
No, I did not cut with it.
Deer Archery season and my Grandsons' birthday both hit at the same time and gobbled my entire weekend.
I will get pics soon.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I posted this is the other square thread. I haven't touched the rakers at all on this chain since new. EXL converted to square. Just ran around the loop to touch it up after some nasty misquite, pretty sure I hit a nail. Anyhow, when I did the rakers I swear it was ten swipes, yeah I used a gauge. It was a husky gauge so hoping I didn't bork it. They are at .025 now. The angles I used here are pretty much my go to now.

89749.jpeg 89747.jpeg 20201007_225658.jpg

junkman

Crush it
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the rakers ,if need to go any lower than .025 or .020 the chain is not sharp yet , going .030 - .035 is a band-aid to make it cut and going to be super grabby in the cut ,the chain will dull faster with rakes set lower also ,

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the rakers ,if need to go any lower than .025 or .020 the chain is not sharp yet , going .030 - .035 is a band-aid to make it cut and going to be super grabby in the cut ,the chain will dull faster with rakes set lower also ,
Depends on what you're cutting and how you're cutting it.
For felling and bucking conifers, I agree 100%