Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The chain was delivered, and I thank you very kindly for your services.
Yes, I looked at it.
No, I did not cut with it.
Deer Archery season and my Grandsons' birthday both hit at the same time and gobbled my entire weekend.
I will get pics soon.
Soooooo, any word or updates?

Yellowbuzz

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
This link is to Stihl fan Suisse on Youtube, this is the guy I watched over and over when I was learning square filling.
I like to wore out a chain without ever using to cut with but once I got the feel for I will never go back. I also put down my Pferd file
after getting my hands on a Vallorbe dbl bevel file, this is by far the best quality file I have ever used.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the vallorbe. One advantage the pferd has is I feel like it's easier to hit the corner with them and get it perfect in the corner. The vallorbe bites hard, and it seems harder to get a precise stroke more often.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Depends on what you're cutting and how you're cutting it.
For felling and bucking conifers, I agree 100%
You already know this.... For the new filers. And depends on the length of the gullet. 30-35 might be where the raker needs to be.
Screenshot_20201024-205115.png

Last edited:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You already know this.... For the new filers. And depends on the length of the gullet. 30-35 might be where the raker needs to be.
View attachment 264154
But that’s only somebody else’s preferred cutting style, individual needs and saw power trump any formula.
That would most likely get you close in any case though.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This link is to Stihl fan Suisse on Youtube, this is the guy I watched over and over when I was learning square filling.
I like to wore out a chain without ever using to cut with but once I got the feel for I will never go back. I also put down my Pferd file
after getting my hands on a Vallorbe dbl bevel file,
this is by far the best quality file I have ever used.

I want to try vallorbe myself, I tried pferd before and wasn't impressed.

Lucion 81

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I guess this thread could start a fight, not intended though.

I am in the process of giving square filed chain a fair tryout.
25" LPX chain, Cannon superlite bar, ported 460 by Kevin.

I took the saw to work with me, cleaned it up very well, held the saw in a bench vise, and gave it a really good sharpening using my best filing skills.

Cut up a 30" Red Oak (green blowdown) last night with it.

Don't get me wrong, it cut really well and fast, but I cannot say that I see a lot of difference between this chain and a good sharpen job with a round file.

I will say that the noodles are more stringy and they clug the chain cover faster than with a round filed chain.

I will continue to square file this chain until it is worn out.

It seems like this filing technique is at or beyond the point of diminishing returns and the gains that are achieved are noticed by someone that uses a saw every day.
The cool thing I think about square vs round is that at least if your rounds are wore out you can go square or visa versa to me as long as the saw cut your good cause most of us love saws but we don't race or are worried about speed don't get me wrong that *s-word is awesome as it gets but realistically we don't need to worry about speed cause slow is fast when you are on production and living in WV there is a lot of rock and whole lot of hard wood so there is a ready supply of worn out files

Federico

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Spladle160, post: 1123677, member: 8753"] Bella foto. terreno non archiviato giusto? [/ QUOTE]
B

Federico

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "iamsham78, post: 1124678, member: 13495"] [ATTACH = full] 259369 [/ ATTACH]
[ATTACH = full] 259370 [/ ATTACH]
Questo è ciò che funziona per me. Mi piacciono circa 25/30 * angolo della piastra superiore e circa 85 * angolo della piastra laterale. Per me qualcosa di più di questo si nutre in modo eccellente, ma è abbastanza pericoloso. Come ho detto, questo è ciò che funziona per me sicuramente non sono un professionista qui.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk [/ QUOTE] good job