Ms500i lean issues

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been gifted a troubles saw, an MS 500 that the dealer doesn’t want to touch. It would start an idle and sound OK and lean out if you put under any load, then I did the simple things and pulled the fuel filter to check to see if it was clogged and it was fine and pulled the throttlebody cover off and blew out all the chips and now it doesn’t want to restart on its own. It will start and run with a prime.

The primer bulb would not pump fuel well, unless the fuel cap was released, but it still wouldn’t run well with the fuel cap off.

Any help or ideas are welcomeIMG_0165.jpeg

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tank vent ok? The whole no pump without a cracked cap thing sounds very suspect. My 500's primer will push fuel forever so the fact that yours doesn't seems indicative of a fuel line or fuel vent issue that may be at least partially responsible for your issue.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you! And that’s what I feel as well, but it will not run with the fuel cap completely off either

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tank vent ok? The whole no pump without a cracked cap thing sounds very suspect. My 500's primer will push fuel forever so the fact that yours doesn't seems indicative of a fuel line or fuel vent issue that may be at least partially responsible for your issue.
I think the tank vent could be an issue, just don’t know how the system works

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check the chain side av limiter at the back corner of the cylinder, if its broken out, odds are good that it got pinched and pulled on way too hard, which may have torn intake or the pulse lines/fuel lines. These saws need a goood strong pulse to build the pressure for the injector... could also be a harness issue, if theres a partially broken wire, (similar to how a 201t runs like crap when a wire breaks in the harness)

emanuel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It ain’t a normal saw 🤪
Its not that complicated of a saw as you make it sound either. To me it looks like the machine is starving for fuel; I’d carefully check for cracked fuel lines first, cracked intake boot, the fuel pump diaphragm condition (its in the primer bulb assembly), tank vent. I think this should find the problem, I doubt its the main seals leaking seeing how the bulb has troubles pumping fuel.

Coupe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Primer bulb is not going to pump well if intake vent is blocked.Think one of the things I would do if it was me would fish out the tank filter take it off and put a mytivac or small pump on it and test for leaks. Doing it that way will test you carby for leaks as well. There is a lot of things that can make them lean off like that is worn crankcase seals. Hope you get on top of it as there is a lot of trial and error sometimes to find it.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
500 doesn’t care if it has a gas cap on it or not. It needs fuel pressure to the injector. I would look at the diaphragm fuel pump behind the on/ off switch/primer bubble

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And sometimes the fuel values get outside of the factory parameters and the brain can’t figure out how to get them back. And the only way to reset that is by hooking it up to the MDG software. I know of one saw in particular that a builder received for porting and it had a slightly scored piston. The builder replaced the piston, ported it, and sent it back. A few weeks later he got the saw back again with another scored piston. Hooked it up to his MDG to do a reset, replaced the piston again, and to my knowledge it runs fine now

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, after loss of troubleshoot, shooting all the lines, the primer bulb and everything and decided to do a pressure VAC test…. PTO crank seal!! Also found that the clutch had three broken chunks off of it rattling around in there not sure if it’s common for that to happen on these or what?

IIMG_0199.jpegIMG_0200.jpegIMG_0201.jpeg

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, after loss of troubleshoot, shooting all the lines, the primer bulb and everything and decided to do a pressure VAC test…. PTO crank seal!! Also found that the clutch had three broken chunks off of it rattling around in there not sure if it’s common for that to happen on these or what?

IView attachment 423716View attachment 423717View attachment 423718

I’ve busted off clutch shoe ears when the clutch wouldn’t release with an impact. So I kept impacting. Eventually it came off and very similar bits fell out. Different saw though and the clutch still works.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve busted off clutch shoe ears when the clutch wouldn’t release with an impact. So I kept impacting. Eventually it came off and very similar bits fell out. Different saw though and the clutch still works.
This came off very easy, it’s just an 1128 clutch, so nothing new there, saw is just new to me. Learning a lot, definitely have a better understanding of the fuel system now

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the new pto seal, and that didn’t fix it! So I reluctantly pulled apart the primer/pump and wow! The pump is like a carb, so weird! And…. The inlet screen was completely clogged, like I’ve never seen an inlet filter clogged! Lol.IMG_0484.jpeg

So after that, the primer bulb started to function correctly, and the saw runs correctly, I believe! Lol