Modded 394 lean tuning issue WTF...

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So Bill, now I want to run this saw, please also bring it to NY GTG also!!!
Are you going to bring this saw to Dan’s? I don’t think I have ran your 394.

It should be at Dan's and NY.
I'd be surprised if both of you haven't run it, it's been to NY a few times and Dan's at least twice, as well as a couple dates at Lee's...
Got hoed out pretty extensively. Last year was the first time it stayed home, year before didn't see much action due to the issues.
Particularly in NY it gets lost in the crowd of big ported saws

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd be surprised if both of you haven't run it, it's been to NY a few times and Dan's at least twice, as well as a couple dates at Lee's...
Got hoed out pretty extensively. Last year was the first time it stayed home, year before didn't see much action due to the issues.
Particularly in NY it gets lost in the crowd of big ported saws

Is this the one?
692D4AD5-8CC8-41E9-A964-EAB96CF71DA5.jpeg 74A2F38B-0311-40EC-A6D6-41B972D6CE86.jpeg

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
6:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If it was the fuel filter then drilling the jet wouldn't fix it
I suppose increasing flow can remedy the rpm racing if that's part of the problem. Those little bubbles can accumulate in the carb and increased flow would remedy that to help the saw maintain better behavior.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Happens a lot to me with 036’s Bill. Run fine, but port them and they do the scream thing. Any restriction in the fuel circuit, from the filter to the nozzle, will do it. Tank vent as well.

Just had the same issue with a 361 I did with an HD50 carb. Screamed until I drilled the carb jet. Where you are with your H needle can be a clue.

I believe it just has to start occurring, then it becomes a vicious cycle as,the rpms climb. As Kev said, it could be thicker mix or more ethanol in the fuel that changed it (if u use E fuel).

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last year was the first time it stayed home, year before didn't see much action due to the issues.
I've been trying to remember this saw, and I cant ........... now I know why

I'm looking forward to running this saw Bill, and listening when you speak.
You may not know it, but I learned a boatload from you at Dans.

I've developed two rules for Dans GTG's:
1. If Scott or Bill is talking, its best to shuddup and listen ........ even if that means being a fly on the wall
2. I'm committed to beating Dans 394 ( @paragonbuilder )

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been trying to remember this saw, and I cant ........... now I know why

I'm looking forward to running this saw Bill, and listening when you speak.
You may not know it, but I learned a boatload from you at Dans.

I've developed two rules for Dans GTG's:
1. If Scott or Bill is talking, its best to shuddup and listen ........ even if that means being a fly on the wall
2. I'm committed to beating Dans 394 ( @paragonbuilder )
Agreed

Bill is the quiet unknown saw guru. He has been in more saws than many think. I’d like to discuss stratos when we can Bill.

We will leave CT Yank out of the convo (do you remember that Bill?).

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I understand tthe question correctly, this is what I'd like to get a handle on, more or less point of the thread.

I look at that it was "breaking in", "seating the rings"... but really what does that mean in practical terms?

If it's just gaining comp then just bump the comp to begin with...
If I believed that...
Something more related to dynamic comp?
Lessening friction in the cylinder?
What's going on in there...?

I like to know the why’s too Bill...
I’ve been thinking on this, my 394 has shown intermittent lean conditions as well. It seems to come back now and then randomly. It’s an old saw beat saw, so I attributed it to things breaking down and needing repairs. Perhaps I’ve been wrong.
It does run damn good though, when it’s not leaning out. But something always feels just not quite right with it.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But the intake duration stayed the same while the condition got worse.

One of the first things I checked was the jbweld patch on one transfer bulge. I often like very flat tranfer roofs and nice deep radius transitions so grind a lot out in those corners, therfore tend to break through on occasion.
Not unexpected...

Plus it passed multiple press/vac tests, wouldn't do that with transfer holes...
It depends where the piston was at when you checked. Did you make sure it was BDC?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I truly hope you do this time! [emoji41]
I'm hoping that a few of my latest all will.
Also hoping to go back into my 394 and 346.
I'm keeping the 661 just as it is, have to see how she fares with the 36 and the 8 tooth 404 in big wood
She certainly picked up a bit from when we ran her against them Tree Monkey'd 90cc Stihls

It does run damn good though, when it’s not leaning out. But something always feels just not quite right with it.
She's gettin nervous about my 90cc saws, and starting to crack under the pressure !
Next thing ya know, she's gunna be piddlin in the corner, probably shaking too

Last edited:

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm hoping that a few of my latest all will.
Also hoping to go back into my 394 and 346.
I'm keeping the 661 just as it is, have to see how she fares with the 36 and the 8 tooth 404 in big wood
She certainly picked up a bit from when we ran her against them Tree Monkey'd 90cc Stihls

She's gettin nervous about my 90cc saws, and starting to crack under the pressure !
Next thing ya know, she's gunna be piddlin in the corner, probably shaking too

I’ve heard this before... lol
Then she gets up and does a whoopin on ya.
Bring it![emoji41]
You ever do anything with the 394 you got from me?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve heard this before... lol
Then she gets up and does a whoopin on ya.
Bring it! [emoji23]

You ever do anything with the 394 you got from me?
:tiburon:

Just collecting dust for now .....its considered a weak sow, and can't wait to have that crap jms cylinder removed from its poor case...... I've got a great condition 394 cylinder that I'm going to port for it, one day when I get time.

Oh and she piddles in the corner all the time...[emoji23]
Told ya !!

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:tiburon:

Just collecting dust for now .....its considered a weak sow...... I've got a great condition 394 cylinder that I'm going to port for it, one day when I get time.

Well I remember that saw being pretty strong... so if it feels weak, mayhaps mine is gonna get a beat down...[emoji33]

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I remember that saw being pretty strong... so if it feels weak, mayhaps mine is gonna get a beat down...[emoji33]
Maybe, maybe not ......... sounds like you have enough time to sort out the lean condition, she might gain after that

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It depends where the piston was at when you checked. Did you make sure it was BDC?

When I pressure test it’s hooked up through the plug hole so the piston typically gets pushed down at least to the transfers.
I’ll normally rotate the crank also to detect bad spots on the crank/seal interface or whatever.

I mentioned earlier that the decomp was sticking open during some of the dyno testing and it was really pretty much unnoticeable in the output and behavior of the saw.
Surprised me.

Was one of the things that sort of confirmed to me this leaning problem was more than just a small air leak.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
6:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I pressure test it’s hooked up through the plug hole so the piston typically gets pushed down at least to the transfers.
I’ll normally rotate the crank also to detect bad spots on the crank/seal interface or whatever.

I mentioned earlier that the decomp was sticking open during some of the dyno testing and it was really pretty much unnoticeable in the output and behavior of the saw.
Surprised me.

Was one of the things that sort of confirmed to me this leaning problem was more than just a small air leak.
Not to derail much, but what was the dyno numbers on this saw?