Mastermind Meets The MS400 C-M

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hot rods cranks are just as bad. I had 1 for a yamaha 701 based engine come apart at the middle and destroy the entire case jugs intake and exhaust. Dam near sunk my ski.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hot rods cranks are just as bad. I had 1 for a yamaha 701 based engine come apart at the middle and destroy the entire case jugs intake and exhaust. Dam near sunk my ski.

I figured so. I'll get the factory crank rebuilt.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy *s-word, can we get off of the topic of how *s-wordty people are? Really bringing me down. Anyone run a saw today? Work on a saw? See a saw?

About them saws....... I ran a couple today. I feel dirty admitting it :oops:

What has me curious about these Mtron and autotune saws. Is the fuel mileage. Cutting smaller stuff with a 362mtron it was hard to notice a difference in cut time. But on say a 661 or 572????? Would it be noticeable?

Case in point. This afternoon I ran through 5qt of mix. Tank and a half through the big pig 088 and the rest though it's less chunky sister 066. Would it be unrealistic to see the usage drop to say 4 or maybe even 3qt?

But on the other side. I really didn't mind a quick adjust on the carb to compensate for the 70 degree temp difference from the last run. I imagine that most the general population lacks that ability. But hey I don't :cool:

I wonder what the piston coating is. Wonder if it's like swain tech's ceramic or a hard anodized like vertex uses?

Edit: vertex is hard anodized on the dome Teflon on the skirt.

Steven

Last edited:

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy *s-word, can we get off of the topic of how *s-wordty people are? Really bringing me down. Anyone run a saw today? Work on a saw? See a saw?
Just fired up a couple saws to piss rev in my shop so it would smell nice, lol.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys,
I'm new to the site, not sure if this is a saw thread or political or economic or ethical or what, but anyways....
I've been running saws professionally for 30 years, just bought an ms400 a few weeks back and I really like it, to me it makes a stock 372xp look kinda sad, it's like a woods ported saw right out of box.
This thing is lighter than most 60 cc saws, is fast, and has gobs of power!
It's a keeper for sure!

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had 2 hot rod cranks fail in a Honda 400EX I built for a friend. We were both surprised, I felt guilty like I made a mistake when I assembled and heat cycled it.

There are good aftermarket parts for atvs and bikes, but they are very expensive. It becomes evident when obsessive amount of work goes into a product and its 5x the cost of the competition.

Failed cranks aside...Ive been down with the sickness (covid) for a week and haven't left the house. I'm still hacking and wheezing but my poor father is worse, so I'll be cutting today in the balmy 16° temp this fine morning.

Be safe guys

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few years back a guy on a diesel site that I am on started coating pistons. He said the coating reduced friction and reduced heat. I asked him about coating a piston for a chainsaw and he claimed it would work. He said it was some teflon coating applied to it. He claimed it wasn't very thick either. I had planned on sending him an 026 piston to try, but never ended up sending it. Thoughts? Would the coating applied to an aluminum piston work this same way as it is applied to this magnesium piston?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had 2 hot rod cranks fail in a Honda 400EX I built for a friend. We were both surprised, I felt guilty like I made a mistake when I assembled and heat cycled it.

There are good aftermarket parts for atvs and bikes, but they are very expensive. It becomes evident when obsessive amount of work goes into a product and its 5x the cost of the competition.

Failed cranks aside...Ive been down with the sickness (covid) for a week and haven't left the house. I'm still hacking and wheezing but my poor father is worse, so I'll be cutting today in the balmy 16° temp this fine morning.

Be safe guys

Prayers of help and health for you and your dad Dominic.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys,
I'm new to the site, not sure if this is a saw thread or political or economic or ethical or what, but anyways....
I've been running saws professionally for 30 years, just bought an ms400 a few weeks back and I really like it, to me it makes a stock 372xp look kinda sad, it's like a woods ported saw right out of box.
It's a keeper for sure!

Welcome.

Politics, and religion are topics that are best taken to some other site.

This was a saw thread.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMO, I wouldn’t spend the money for that on a chainsaw piston. As for the coating on the ms400 pistons, I would bet it is some form of anodizing.

As for the best study I could get on the subject, the coating is ceramic in nature and I'm thinking it's on the top side of the piston only. Couple things lead me to that assessment, one, it's there to slow heat absorption down as magnesium doesn't transfer/displace heat near as well as aluminum, so less heat is better. Two, the heat still needs to be transferred to the bore of the cylinder to be cooled off with air, ceramics on the skirts would impede this process. Three, the skirts of the piston shouldn't be harder than the plating of the cylinder and ceramics are very hard, cylinder wear/damage would be the result.

I do not believe this will be the new wave of pistons in the future, but we may see more over bore models made with this being the instrument that allows it to happen and be a feasible production unit. As far as every day saws it's going to be hard to beat good old aluminum for the inherent quality's it has.

Interesting subject though, hopefully we can learn more from a practicality standpoint as time goes on.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hope you and your Dad feel better soon Dom, and be very careful running a saw when not 100%.

I (to the best of my knowledge) have not had it, but several family members have, including both daughters, both stepsons and most of the grandkids.

For some it is very brief and no worse than a cold, for others it is longer term (like a month), but so far all have recovered.

Stay strong, and I'm sure you know keep up the C, D and Zinc. (best to get it from food sources, if possible, vitamins often don't fully absorb).

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys,
It's a keeper for sure!

Welcome to the site!

Lots of good new saws have been coming out with great power to weight, including the 261 VII, 400, 462 and 500i.

They are impressive stock, and even more impressive ported.

Hopefully our chainsaw get togethers (we call them GTGs) will return. They often provide the opportunity to actually try any saw you ever wanted to try, ported or stock, and get a feel for what they really can do. They are also a great opportunity to meet others interested in chainsaws, and learn information that you would never learn in a lifetime.

Hope you enjoy the site!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As for the best study I could get on the subject, the coating is ceramic in nature and I'm thinking it's on the top side of the piston only. Couple things lead me to that assessment, one, it's there to slow heat absorption down as magnesium doesn't transfer/displace heat near as well as aluminum, so less heat is better. Two, the heat still needs to be transferred to the bore of the cylinder to be cooled off with air, ceramics on the skirts would impede this process. Three, the skirts of the piston shouldn't be harder than the plating of the cylinder and ceramics are very hard, cylinder wear/damage would be the result.

I do not believe this will be the new wave of pistons in the future, but we may see more over bore models made with this being the instrument that allows it to happen and be a feasible production unit. As far as every day saws it's going to be hard to beat good old aluminum for the inherent quality's it has.

Interesting subject though, hopefully we can learn more from a practicality standpoint as time goes on.

The piston looks exactly the same all over, including inside.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag

Be safe guys

best wishes to you and your dad for a speedy and full recovery. When I had the Covid I pushed too hard too soon and ended up setting my recovery back a solid. week. The Dr. warned me about cold air and inflamed lungs not mixing well. Be careful Dom.

A few years back a guy on a diesel site that I am on started coating pistons. He said the coating reduced friction and reduced heat. I asked him about coating a piston for a chainsaw and he claimed it would work. He said it was some teflon coating applied to it. He claimed it wasn't very thick either. I had planned on sending him an 026 piston to try, but never ended up sending it. Thoughts? Would the coating applied to an aluminum piston work this same way as it is applied to this magnesium piston?

a lot of echo’s newer models feature some sort of coating on the pistons. Sounds like similar stuff.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seconding this.

I will say that asthma inhalers really helped me be able to get back on my feet.
Me too, but by the time I got it I already had pneumonia. Looking back filling my wood boiler in -20 degree weather and breathing in the smoke to boot probably wasn't the best thing to do during covid. But I felt like I needed to keep my family warm.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me too, but by the time I got it I already had pneumonia. Looking back filling my wood boiler in -20 degree weather and breathing in the smoke to boot probably wasn't the best thing to do during covid. But I felt like I needed to keep my family warm.

I went out to cut wood in the cold while recovering. That was a tough day.