Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Dad had an very early Ithaca 37A "deer slayer" It would jam if you used anything but Super X.......or at least it seems that way. When he could no longer hunt I used it. Now one of my sons has it but it will never kill another deer.
I have an Ithaca 37 FeatherLite 12. Wonderfully made shotguns. My slug lobber is a Browning A5 Buck Special. Made in Belgium of course.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an Ithaca 37 FeatherLite 12. Wonderfully made shotguns. My slug lobber is a Browning A5 Buck Special. Made in Belgium of course.
Dad was using a Winchester Model 12 and missed a deer on Friday. He went to town that night and bought the Ithaca. He harvested a beautiful 8 pointer the next day. That is was in about 1972 or so and it was a huge deer for here

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I killed this one with a Metric...

View attachment 422554
That is a nice looking animal. A lot of folks get all hung up on "points". I believe an animal such as that is much more desirable than a gnarly non typical. In 1982 my cousin harvested a 13 point about 3 miles south of me. It was the county big buck for the year. In 1984 a friend harvested a 21 point on the same farm of course it was the county big buck that year. Yes they were impressive but not majestic. In 1986 my cousin harvested a 12 point here that had a much more attractive rack but was a youngin.

You harvested a nice animal there.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There nice shotguns. My dad has one. They even have neat engraving on the receiver.
Yes they do. My grandpa purchased an Ithaca 37 when he was 18, back in 1947.. it served him well. Now my dad has it. When I turned 12, dad knew what to buy me, so I got one. Mine was made in 1975. The stock is a little different, but the receiver is the same. Mine is ventilated rib, and grandpa’s is not..

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There nice shotguns. My dad has one. They even have neat engraving on the receiver.
The engraving on the 37 was beautiful. I hated to see companies go away from that. I also hated to see them go away from nice wooden stocks in favor of synthetic.

Look at an old school 1100 compared to a black 1187.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The engraving on the 37 was beautiful. I hated to see companies go away from that. I also hated to see them go away from nice wooden stocks in favor of synthetic.

I agree with you on all counts. They made beautiful guns back in those days. They had nice lines as well.

Some modern guns do not have the form, but they sure have the function.

Yes they do. My grandpa purchased an Ithaca 37 when he was 18, back in 1947.. it served him well. Now my dad has it. When I turned 12, dad knew what to buy me, so I got one. Mine was made in 1975. The stock is a little different, but the receiver is the same. Mine is ventilated rib, and grandpa’s is not..

Nice! That's a gun you will always treasure. My first was a model 67 winchester in 22lr.

My Dad's 37 is not a ribbed barrel.

les-or-more

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

20240612_094503.jpg20240612_094421.jpg
I was pleasantly surprised when I bought this SX4, I almost hate to shoot it the wood is gorgeous and I love the Nikel plated receiver.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why thankyou and yes it is, far too pretty for an every day shooter, I bought it to replace the 1187 I gave to my oldest boy
Hello Les,

I hope you are keeping the misfits inline over yonder. :) I miss bssing with you and others but hey that is how things go.

Bill

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello Bill,
I do my best, I figured it was safe to say hello and share a pic or two and see how you are doing.
I understand that. This is a safe and enjoyable place.
I am doing well, not a big fan of the rains. I keep saying 1993 all over again that does not mean anything to most which I fully understand. It is raining now...... I would love to BS some night but I do not want your better half clocking you with a cast iron skillet for being on the phone though.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A woman usually doesn't want a heavy cast iron pan 🤠 unless she plans to hit a guy 😉
Wait, all my wife has is mostly cast iron, what does that mean?
Same here. We cook with cast iron a majority of the time. Still have a couple stainless, and a couple ceramic for occasions, but cast iron is used daily here.. so far haven’t been threatened with it, yet…

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here. We cook with cast iron a majority of the time. Still have a couple stainless, and a couple ceramic for occasions, but cast iron is used daily here.. so far haven’t been threatened with it, yet…
A friend of mine was in an abusive relationship years ago. Her husband would come home drunk and slap her around then pass out. One night she decided that she had enough. He passed out, and she loaded her stuff in the car, then beat the hell out of him with a cast iron skillet. Cracked his skull, broke his arm, and his collarbone....then left him.