Let's Talk With Bill G Awhile

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
9:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Morning gentlemen. Another beautiful day. Hope it's starting to dry out down there. It's been a fairly wet spring here as well.
Fighting a cold at the moment. Slept on the recliner last night in a NyQuil induced coma.. Boy that stuff will give a guy some strange dreams.🤣

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like where this thread is headed. Going to be the next 15k post monster with a title that makes no sense 10yrs from now lol

We got a little rain last night and tried spraying some soybeans today but it was a bit to soggy yet. Didn’t get stuck but I made a mess in the field.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only ever seen one of those Osage Orange trees here in PA and it's a 4' tall one that I planted in my yard 3yrs ago. Best firewood ever (at least in the Eastern US) or so I've heard

I have never burned it as it is too valuable as fence posts. The same with Locust although I will burn it.
20150216_183701(1).jpg
That stuff grows like weeds around here. This is how I burn it. Got to do some more fence row cleaning and spraying to keep ahead of it. Burns hot and likes to pop and spark, you have to watch your stove air control or it will take off. In-laws thought they had to have it for heating and several times almost caught their house on fire.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is some info

#1 on the list

#1 on this list.

#1 on this list

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is some info

#1 on the list

#1 on this list.

#1 on this list
Worth some GOOD money as lumber.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do not know of anyone here milling Hedge but I am sure there are some that do it in other locations. There is no doubt it would make some nice looking lumber but only in short pieces (at least ours here). For years I wanted to get Locust milled but no one wanted to touch it. It is similar in appearance and density to Hedge but grows much straighter, faster and very tall (once again for here). We always just cut it into fence posts and the remainder as firewood. Well about 12-15 years ago the local mill agreed to take some..................that was all she wrote for the good Locust. They loved it and it and most got cut.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do not know of anyone here milling Hedge but I am sure there are some that do it in other locations. There is no doubt it would make some nice looking lumber but only in short pieces (at least ours here). For years I wanted to get Locust milled but no one wanted to touch it. It is similar in appearance and density to Hedge but grows much straighter, faster and very tall (once again for here). We always just cut it into fence posts and the remainder as firewood. Well about 12-15 years ago the local mill agreed to take some..................that was all she wrote for the good Locust. They loved it and it and most got cut.

Adventure-Sworn-Bushcraft-Knife-0002_d5375363-4a2f-4633-88bb-f04056569db1.jpg

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About 27 years ago I was teaching in Southeast Iowa there was a couple guys that were bow hunters. They were into the long bows and not compounds. I am not knowledgeable on bow hunting but I do know the difference between them.....that is it though. In any event ole Ralph K and Lyle M came to me and asked if they could use the shop to build some custom long bows. They said they had read about them in a magazine article. Now ole Ralph and Lyle never struck me as having much mechanical ability nor construction skills. I asked what exactly it was they wanted to do. They proceeded to tell me they had found an article explaining how to make a long bow from Osage Orange. I looked at them a bit odd as at the time I had not heard of Osage Orange. They assured me they had the pieces to use. I thought alright what the heck. It was near summer break so I told them to wait until June. Back then I was the Agriculture teacher and FFA advisor so unlike most teachers I had a 12 month contract. I was in the shop or working with FFA all summer. We set up a day for them to come in. Here these two come in carrying old rock hard, dry, Hedge posts. I started to laugh. I said "what the hell do you think you are going to do with Hedge" They got puzzled looks on their faces and were adamant that it was Osage Orange. They said "hedges are bushes". I explained to them that what they were holding was indeed old Hedge posts and it is the hardest damn wood you will find. I told them they can call it what they want but this is Iowa and that is Hedge. I agreed to let them use the shop so I just kicked back and watched the circus. What a circus it was. They first tried cutting it on the table saw. I stopped them at that point as I did not want to see them get hurt with a kickback. I explained you cannot rip a crooked piece on the table saw. They then went to the jointer. Well they found how damn hard Hedge is, and how fine the dust is. They destroyed the blades on the ole Powermatic jointer, ended up burning up the motor on the ole Powermatic table saw, and somehow fried our new Makita cross slide miter saw that cost us $900 at that time. It was an expensive summer. In July, after the new fiscal year, I went to our principal, Skip Speece with the purchase order requests for the all the repairs. Well Skip says "what the hell happened Bill, this blows your repair budget for a year" I just smiled,explained a bit, and said go ask your sports buddies(coaches) Ralph and Lyle. He grumbled something and signed the P.O.'s.

Ralph and Lyle never did get their bows made from Hedge.

Last edited:

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
9:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny you mentioned it Bill. I'd never heard of "Osage orange" either until a few years ago when a neighbor who is originally from Illinois brought some seeds up here and was talking to the Alaska DNR about being allowed to plant them here.
I always knew them simply as hedge apple trees.