Let's Talk With Bill G Awhile

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When the only dump within 1hr+ of driving wants $100 a tire to recycle them I say they can gfy. If going green is that important to them why do they charge that much? To give an example, while brushing his newly acquired property my brother discovered ~20 tires. On one hand, he can pay $2k to recycle them. On the other hand, there's a nice big brush pile sitting there waiting to get torched. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't really want to pay $2k to clean up someone else's junk tires. Fortunately he found a place that I think only charged $40 to recycle 8 tires. It took 3 trips, but they all got properly recycled. Going there was over 1.5hr round trip, but worth it since he could haul a dump trailer full of trash there and 8 tires in the bed of his truck and it was still cheaper than using the dump 20 minutes away and just paying to dump the trash.
$100 each? Were they Euclid tires? Most any tire shop here in the capital of the golden state will take a used tire for a few bucks to cover their cost.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
South Carolina had a real problem with people just storing garbage on their own land back in the 80s and early 90s . Every township has its own FREE recycling center and garbage dumpsters. It includes 4 tires per month and unlimited oil repository. I think 15 gallons of paint or chemicals a month are included and good paints are put in a bin for anyone who wants it.
In the early 2000s they just gave you a new oil drip pan when you brought the old one in full of oil.
This program hires a bunch of old vets, so people don't F around at these places, it really helped clean up rural areas.
That’s pretty awesome. More states should take action like that. Instead they just fine you. And yes I’ve received citations from codes before at my shop out in the country for weeds that exceed 7 inches.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When the only dump within 1hr+ of driving wants $100 a tire to recycle them I say they can gfy. If going green is that important to them why do they charge that much? To give an example, while brushing his newly acquired property my brother discovered ~20 tires. On one hand, he can pay $2k to recycle them. On the other hand, there's a nice big brush pile sitting there waiting to get torched. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't really want to pay $2k to clean up someone else's junk tires. Fortunately he found a place that I think only charged $40 to recycle 8 tires. It took 3 trips, but they all got properly recycled. Going there was over 1.5hr round trip, but worth it since he could haul a dump trailer full of trash there and 8 tires in the bed of his truck and it was still cheaper than using the dump 20 minutes away and just paying to dump the trash.
Wow I’ve never heard of such a number. Sounds like someone just trying to take advantage. Few bucks a tire all over the place here.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Folks that trash is where duck hunters and fisherman used to park. They no longer can because of the trash. It was not uncommon to have 50 trucks from Iowa over here on the Illinois levee launching boats to go duck hunting the first two weekends of the season. I will assure you it was none of those guys and gals dumping this crap. Hell they have cleaned some of it up.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now to put this in perspective I took this picture at the end of the levee road looking across the bridge to Iowa.

1.JPG

Now I turn the other direction to the "Welcome to Illinois sign"

2.JPG

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All this trash is being dumped by lazy arseholes from Iowa. They literally just get to the end of the bridge, hang a left drive past the Lock and Dam, and dump trash.

NOW I am not saying anything negative about Iowans, just the lazy arses which come in all shapes, colors and from all states.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was born and mostly raised in Iowa, south of Des Moines. It wasn't hard to find piles of garbage near recreational areas. Same in southern Az... Illegals left trash trails 100' wide and 100 miles long. By far the worst I've ever seen was on the San Carlos reservation. Miles of fence running parallel to the highway....wind packed to the top with household trash. It was worse than northern Mexico...and that was pretty bad.

I'm not convinced filling landfills is any better than burning trash. What's worse? Chemicals released in the air or chemicals leaching into the water?

Globally, tire collection sites routinely catch on fire and burn for days....or even months..... sometimes millions of tires at a time.

Interesting how the powers that be can fly large jets around the world and lecture others about climate change and rising sea levels while simultaneously buying up beach front properties with profits made on conglomerate investments firms like State Street, Black Rock, Vanguard etc...who are heavily invested in most everything including Chinese manufacturing, arguably the worst offenders on earth pollution wise.

The worst part is that some people actually believe them.

Meh, what do I know? I'm just some dude.

64poncho

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
recycling tires is a bit of a myth. with the types of steel belts they have they can't really be dealt with in a cost effective way. So, they wind up in special landfills just like all those stupid windmill blades.
I’ve seen ground up tires used for playgrounds & mixed in the asphalt on running tracks.
Also heard that most of the tires are used as fuel in electric power generation, so there is no recycling. Also heard the same used motor oil.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve seen ground up tires used for playgrounds & mixed in the asphalt on running tracks.
Also heard that most of the tires are used as fuel in electric power generation, so there is no recycling. Also heard the same used motor oil.
I think he's referring specifically to steel belted tires....which the majority of automotive tires are.
I understand some if not all?? Steel belted tires are sent to the incinerator or end up in tire graveyards. IDK

Last edited:

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is a small percentage.
Also I believe you are thinking of cement plants using tires.

On a related note we were told in the 1980's that we could not use busted up asphalt from highways as ditch fill.

The highway it was busted up from was replaced with asphalt.

Go figure

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not those with steel belts

footstep

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my are people did that to parts of Mt hood natl forest, we lost tons of great hunting,camping,offroad trails & shooting areas due to a-holes & their trash, instead of driving to the local dump & spend a few bucks to empty your garbage, they drive to the mountain & destroy it, funny part is , it's all crickets from the local green weenie environmental nut jobs & you all know oregon is full of them.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my are people did that to parts of Mt hood natl forest, we lost tons of great hunting,camping,offroad trails & shooting areas due to a-holes & their trash, instead of driving to the local dump & spend a few bucks to empty your garbage, they drive to the mountain & destroy it, funny part is , it's all crickets from the local green weenie environmental nut jobs & you all know oregon is full of them.

Losing trails, camping and hunting spots sucks.
The "green weenie" is funny...😂 We have plenty those just south of me in Homer.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$100 each? Were they Euclid tires? Most any tire shop here in the capital of the golden state will take a used tire for a few bucks to cover their cost.
Negative, 29-35" pickup tires. They no longer list prices for tires above 24" on their website, but when they did it was $100 for a tire over 24" in diameter.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a growing collection of tractor tires around here.

I did give a few away for sandboxes this spring. I advertised them on marketplace and said “I’ll pay you to take a sandbox!” Two disappeared so there’s that.

Two tractors will be getting new rears and duals this year so there will be 8 more around again. Tire shop wants $150/ea to take them back. Nope. The only other place here that handles large tires charges by the pound and they’d be more than the tire shop. Still a nope.