Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember being told when I was working in Sydney there was about 7 or 8 similar trees that were sold as Tasmanian oak. We had a similar deal here with Miro being sold as Rimu sometimes, it's very close but not identical .

I used to cut up one sort of gum for my parents that started splitting as soon as I cut it, you could actually hear it cracking.
Wood that splits itself! Almost sounds good to be true lol
The gum trees I've cut have some crazy tension in the limb wood

raumati01

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wood that splits itself! Almost sounds good to be true lol
The gum trees I've cut have some crazy tension in the limb wood

I wish. It never split that far apart and I had to cut the rings pretty thin because the wood was twisted and a pain to split.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish. It never split that far apart and I had to cut the rings pretty thin because the wood was twisted and a pain to split.
A mate in the Waikato showed me a splitter hydraulic ram with a big bend in it that had lost in a battle with some as he called it "twisted gum". Sparky old dead Pururi is as tough as i have encountered tho. Sparks off the chain, and nary a dent in rings from a maul.

Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A mate in the Waikato showed me a splitter hydraulic ram with a big bend in it that had lost in a battle with some as he called it "twisted gum". Sparky old dead Pururi is as tough as i have encountered tho. Sparks off the chain, and nary a dent in rings from a maul.
Puriri is the heaviest native timber, haven't dealt with the wood before. Must have been hard work for the guys pit sawing it for wharves and bridges back in the day

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Puriri is the heaviest native timber, haven't dealt with the wood before. Must have been hard work for the guys pit sawing it for wharves and bridges back in the day
My house is plonked between two monster Pururi's. I don't do much cutting nowadays, but more often than not it's Pururi as a result. Fresh Pururi saw dust smells a bit like curry powder to me and leaves a similar yellow stain on everything.

Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My house is plonked between two monster Pururi's. I don't do much cutting nowadays, but more often than not it's Pururi as a result. Fresh Pururi saw dust smells a bit like curry powder to me and leaves a similar yellow stain on everything.
Beautiful trees. They don't grow naturally down here but there's a couple of smaller cultivars around they don't seem to like the climate here. What's a huge one, 20m?

raumati01

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beautiful trees. They don't grow naturally down here but there's a couple of smaller cultivars around they don't seem to like the climate here. What's a huge one, 20m?

According to N C Cliftons NZ timbers book 20m is pretty much their limit and the puriri moth is their nemisis.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
According to N C Cliftons NZ timbers book 20m is pretty much their limit and the puriri moth is their nemisis.
Mine have had a top chop before we got here so not super tall. One in particular has a massive base tho. I'll work out a measure method at some point and report back.

jcf86mod

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now that the MS881 has been released to market on shores further afield, any word on when we would expect to see it down under?

Jethro 2t sniffer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find it odd we got the 500i before the yanks.

Europe market has a nice progressive raker gauge too but not here .I tried. The husky 1 is good so no worries. The Stihl shop guy still trying to say all the teeth need to be the same size and yup they do for the saddle type we get here and the states

Jethro 2t sniffer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That fulla is a full on trader. But yep, 281/8 are one of those saws.

Yeah kind of a grail saw for me and when funds allow will grab 1 for sure. I like the metal brake flag of the older ones I know they are hard for parts though. Also all about the low top too

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah kind of a grail saw for me and when funds allow will grab 1 for sure. I like the metal brake flag of the older ones I know they are hard for parts though. Also all about the low top too
Hey Jethro, I'm your man if you're keen (no hurry tho!). I have a very tidy '89 300th anniversary non decomp, low top 288 with the early KS cylinder. I did a new OEM piston in it and seals. Very clean low hour saw. Absolute monster to start (I did a base gasket delete) and has around 210psi of compression. Mountains of low down torque...
20201125_133124.jpg

Jethro 2t sniffer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Jethro, I'm your man if you're keen (no hurry tho!). I have a very tidy '89 300th anniversary non decomp, low top 288 with the early KS cylinder. I did a new OEM piston in it and seals. Very clean low hour saw. Absolute monster to start (I did a base gasket delete) and has around 210psi of compression. Mountains of low down torque...
View attachment 273416

Wow that right there is that grail indeed. How long have I got??

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm of two minds whether to sell it or not! I'm mostly Stihl but do like the 2 series Huskys. I have a ported High-top 288 which I'm building, so this early one probably won't get much run time. I mean how many saws do you need! :)

raumati01

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow that right there is that grail indeed. How long have I got??

About 2 saws ago in pretty sure you told me you had enough saws , I said the same thing about my saw buying too and yet bought another one on Sunday .What is it about chainsaws that makes us all have the self discipline of a three month old Labrador puppy?