Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope your finger is feeling better.

A little less tender each day JJ. Where the incision was made in the center of my fingertip is still not totally healed, and is still very painful when touching anything. I feel that I am lucky to still have that finger.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Better man than I.

No sir. You're a good man Jim.

So many of our members are good people. We are lucky to have found each other I believe.

I'm a member of some engine and transmission repair groups too....and there are so many rude people in those groups that it's a struggle to get any usable information from them.

I just don't want to ever allow that behavior to take root here.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think this thread was a good idea. If everything was taken care of like it should have been this wouldn't have even existed.
In this day and age there is no reason for lack of communication. But as they say it is what it is.
This forum is consistent though. That is a good thing.

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My opinion Randy...there is a difference between Terry, Jim, Stratton and Reilly. 3 of them actively sought out people on this forum and did business...1 of that group didn’t. I haven’t had any bad dealings with John and have done quite a few. If I did and one went south last place I would bring it is here as it had nothing to do with OPE. Realize this won’t be received well...and I know there are points I may have missed on this threads intent but it seems pretty straightforward to me. Forum business is forum business as far as transactions between parties go.

Also interesting on the warranty and liability interests of the group. How many guys could drop a grand to another on here after having the money weeks later? I would bet most are selling something as they need funds for something else.

this thread went to *s-word by the end of page 1...way before it should have. I have no clue what happened in all reality...and I would hazard all but 2 people know what happened. What I do know...is it didn’t happen to start on here.

if the owner wants his funds refunded and that’s the intent...someone buy some of the stuff I listed last night and send him the funds.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My opinion Randy...there is a difference between Terry, Jim, Stratton and Reilly. 3 of them actively sought out people on this forum and did business...1 of that group didn’t. I haven’t had any bad dealings with John and have done quite a few. If I did and one went south last place I would bring it is here as it had nothing to do with OPE. Realize this won’t be received well...and I know there are points I may have missed on this threads intent but it seems pretty straightforward to me. Forum business is forum business as far as transactions between parties go.

Also interesting on the warranty and liability interests of the group. How many guys could drop a hand to another on here after having the money weeks later? I would be my most are selling something as they need funds for something else.

this thread went to *s-word by the end of page 1...way before it should have. I have no clue what happened in all reality...and I would hazard all but 2 people know what happened. What I do know...is it didn’t happen to start with here.

if the owner wants his funds refunded and that’s the intent...someone buy some of the stuff I listed last night and send him the funds.

I've given all this a lot of thought Cole. You know I have.

What makes this "forum business" is that a respected member of our forum is deeply involved in this. Another reason I allow it to stay is that we all know each other well. Including JR. Whether or not he regularly posts here, he is a person who shows up at my gtg every year. We are connected.

Sadly, we are neck deep in this now, and I intend to see it resolved.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is an implicit suspicion when a refund is not promptly issued. Really, what is so falking hard about that?

A lot of people have said that maybe he couldn't afford to pay the refund.

But.....which is more important, a few dollars, or a reputation?

Before I would let someone be a dissatisfied customer, I would sell one of my favorite saws to raise the money to cover the cost. I absolutely know this, because I've done it. I can't imagine anyone not doing the same thing.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Also interesting on the warranty and liability interests of the group. How many guys could drop a grand to another on here after having the money weeks later? I would bet most are selling something as they need funds for something else.

this thread went to *s-word by the end of page 1...way before it should have. I have no clue what happened in all reality...and I would hazard all but 2 people know what happened. What I do know...is it didn’t happen to start on here.

Some valid points and I do respect you and your opinion.

This is a public forum dealing with saws and saw modifications in every fashion, as such, some saw business that didn’t start here is bound to end up here once in a while.

This isn’t too far off of the Ironhorse saga by way of arrival, just so happens many more here have personal relationships with John.

Talonkid119

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’ve been really busy with work so i haven’t had a chance to log on and reply about john, i will give you my experience with with him. i Just bought his MS880 and Solo 694 this past fall/winter.

I received the MS880 back in October time frame, ran the saw a few times in my back yard on some test ash logs. The saw ran great and had tons of compression. i think i maybe got a half a tank or so ran through the saw and took it out to my property to play around with it with some other trees i cut down. On the third cut after warming the saw up it shut off on me at the bottom of the cut. when i was heading back to my house i called John and ran him thought what happened, he said take it apart and see what you got. I pulled the muffler when i got home and the piston caught on the top of the exhaust port and crushed around the ring land area. I pulled the jug and inspected the rest of the cylinder and sent pics to John, He said box the saw up and he will take care of it for me he had some extra pistons. John received the saw and tried to get a piston to work with the cylinder but had issues and ended up using a good 088 cylinder and 3120 piston he had from a previous saw. I was worried maybe i did something with running it too lean or something so he decided to run a thicker base gasket and pump the squish up to .042. He sent the saw back and it ran pretty good just didn’t have as much power as the old setup.

After running it a little bit i talked with John and decided to pull the gasket and wanted to get the squish around .20-.25. When i removed the exhaust i noticed there was a lot of scratches on the skirt and the piston was rocking back and forth around .006-.007 or so, i was able to check this with shims. I sent these pictures to Dave and he told me this isn’t right and you will probably stick a ring like last time. John said it should be fine and just run it but i was nervous of sticking another ring so decided to buy a new husky 3120 piston after taking with John and Eric C. Some of the castings must of been quite a bit different over the years at different plants, the piston i got was made in Germany. I ended up having to mill the skirts .040 or so to clear the crank bell and match the intake timing of the other piston i also had to remove .010 off the dome and lighten up the piston quite a bit even with a lot of grinding the old piston was still 6 grams lighter. After assembling this the piston was at .002-.003 for skirt to cylinder clearance and i feel pretty good with the saw which runs like a rape ape now. I did reach out to John after this and was hoping he could do something for me with the time and aggravation it caused so he agreed to send me a race chain and i bought a saber bar from him.

I also bought Johns solo 694 with the husky 395 cylinder during the process of this took a while to receive with the usps bs. After hearing the issues with Ken and his saw it had me worried with the Solo now since the 880 had some problems. I pulled the cylinder and the piston looked in good shape, was worried being 2100 piston with thin runs. I did have issues with the saw but it is from a dirty carb and am currently waiting on parts for the carburetor.

Overall John did work with me and helped with the problems i had but i still had issues. I met Ken and Dave a few weekends ago about this whole thing and they are both great guys i seen Daves setup and he is very professional and knows what he is doing when it comes to building saws and checking parts. The case that john sent ken had matched right up to the same china saw Dave ran in the build off at masterminds. Ken is a good guy also and runs a very professional tree business very honest person.

Im not trying to take sides with things but i did have some issues I hope John makes this right and sends Ken the money for the saw and trys to make things right like he tried to do with me.

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some valid points and I do respect you and your opinion.

This is a public forum dealing with saws and saw modifications in every fashion, as such, some saw business that didn’t start here is bound to end up here once in a while.

This isn’t too far off of the Ironhorse saga by way of arrival, just so happens many more here have personal relationships with John.

Personal is personal and business is business, if the plaintiff in this case ran a financially smart business, he should’ve done so accordingly to cover his butt.

A wise man once posted a sticky on this vary forum, 4 easy steps to not get scammed.

[emoji51]

3a118f9612e626f9fefab8341412ee34.jpg

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys,

I’ve been really busy with work so i haven’t had a chance to log on and reply about john, i will give you my experience with with him. i Just bought his MS880 and Solo 694 this past fall/winter.

I received the MS880 back in October time frame, ran the saw a few times in my back yard on some test ash logs. The saw ran great and had tons of compression. i think i maybe got a half a tank or so ran through the saw and took it out to my property to play around with it with some other trees i cut down. On the third cut after warming the saw up it shut off on me at the bottom of the cut. when i was heading back to my house i called John and ran him thought what happened, he said take it apart and see what you got. I pulled the muffler when i got home and the piston caught on the top of the exhaust port and crushed around the ring land area. I pulled the jug and inspected the rest of the cylinder and sent pics to John, He said box the saw up and he will take care of it for me he had some extra pistons. John received the saw and tried to get a piston to work with the cylinder but had issues and ended up using a good 088 cylinder and 3120 piston he had from a previous saw. I was worried maybe i did something with running it too lean or something so he decided to run a thicker base gasket and pump the squish up to .042. He sent the saw back and it ran pretty good just didn’t have as much power as the old setup.

After running it a little bit i talked with John and decided to pull the gasket and wanted to get the squish around .20-.25. When i removed the exhaust i noticed there was a lot of scratches on the skirt and the piston was rocking back and forth around .006-.007 or so, i was able to check this with shims. I sent these pictures to Dave and he told me this isn’t right and you will probably stick a ring like last time. John said it should be fine and just run it but i was nervous of sticking another ring so decided to buy a new husky 3120 piston after taking with John and Eric C. Some of the castings must of been quite a bit different over the years at different plants, the piston i got was made in Germany. I ended up having to mill the skirts .040 or so to clear the crank bell and match the intake timing of the other piston i also had to remove .010 off the dome and lighten up the piston quite a bit even with a lot of grinding the old piston was still 6 grams lighter. After assembling this the piston was at .002-.003 for skirt to cylinder clearance and i feel pretty good with the saw which runs like a rape ape now. I did reach out to John after this and was hoping he could do something for me with the time and aggravation it caused so he agreed to send me a race chain and i bought a saber bar from him.

I also bought Johns solo 694 with the husky 395 cylinder during the process of this took a while to receive with the usps bs. After hearing the issues with Ken and his saw it had me worried with the Solo now since the 880 had some problems. I pulled the cylinder and the piston looked in good shape, was worried being 2100 piston with thin runs. I did have issues with the saw but it is from a dirty carb and am currently waiting on parts for the carburetor.

Overall John did work with me and helped with the problems i had but i still had issues. I met Ken and Dave a few weekends ago about this whole thing and they are both great guys i seen Daves setup and he is very professional and knows what he is doing when it comes to building saws and checking parts. The case that john sent ken had matched right up to the same china saw Dave ran in the build off at masterminds. Ken is a good guy also and runs a very professional tree business very honest person.

Im not trying to take sides with things but i did have some issues I hope John makes this right and sends Ken the money for the saw and trys to make things right like he tried to do with me.

Thanks for sharing, Mike.
You got a pic of that scratched up piston that was in your saw the second time it landed at your door?

Talonkid119

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
3120 piston

Attachments

• 20210115_183204.jpg
    20210115_183204.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 20210115_213133.jpg
    20210115_213133.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 20210115_224632.jpg
    20210115_224632.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 20210103_190500.jpg
    20210103_190500.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 142

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of people have said that maybe he couldn't afford to pay the refund.

But.....which is more important, a few dollars, or a reputation? QUOTE]
I have been self employed since 2005, if I have learned anything it's 2 things.
#1 bad news travels way faster and farther than good news.
#2 it takes a lot of good business transactions to build a good reputation and only 1 or 2 bad ones to wreck it.

I have eaten a more money than I care to know over the years to try and make a few people happy. But truth be told, some people simply can not be made happy.

I have no fight in this battle but hope its made right on both sides. With that said I have no reason to not trust what @Fruecrue has to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.