High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Is 3/8 too much for an Echo CS-501

G

Greenerpastures

Hi everyone

Am considering a 16" bar for my 501 instead of the 18 that came on it.
I already have two saws that are 18".
Its not a huge saw, so don't want to cause it any hurt, and am wondering
if it would be too much to put a 3/8 chain on it, just a standard chain to
ensure easy availability, such as Oregon BPX or LPX, and in what gauge ?
At this stage, I want to use this saw for cutting rings for firewood, so would
like to cut as fast as is reasonable given saw size.
I would go 15" bar only Echo shop says not available.

Your advise is much appreciated.

Regards & Thanks, john

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It will work fine however the 7pin 3/8 sprocket is larger than the .325 7 so the chain will be faster but with less torque. The best way to understand what works best in your conditions is to try different setups. Many will give conflicting opinions on the subject based on THEIR experience. I run both setups on 50cc saws & some days I like the 3/8, sometimes I choose .325. How well you sharpen your chain would probably be more noticeable. You can never have to many chains, bars & sprockets.

G

Greenerpastures

Id say that would run a 16 bar w 3/8" chain just fine as long as the chain isnt too aggressive. Id go .050 for guage.
Hi cus_deluxe
Thanks for commenting.
Since posting, I have realized I have many 15" chains in .325, and it might be better for
me to try and locate a 15" bar for the Echo, at least then chains would be standard for my
other small saw is slightly less in power, and 3/8 probably would do more harm than good.
And yes, if I went 3/8 it would have had to be low profile, I guess I was looking more towards
cutting faster, yet did not give thought to what I already have in stock, I have three saws, and
I don't really want to keep three different chain lengths, let alone different pitch.
I guess my issue is solved, until I get 6100 Makita or similar.

Thank's & Regards, john

G

Greenerpastures

It will work fine however the 7pin 3/8 sprocket is larger than the .325 7 so the chain will be faster but with less torque. The best way to understand what works best in your conditions is to try different setups. Many will give conflicting opinions on the subject based on THEIR experience. I run both setups on 50cc saws & some days I like the 3/8, sometimes I choose .325. How well you sharpen your chain would probably be more noticeable. You can never have to many chains, bars & sprockets.
Hi CR888
Thank's for commenting.
Sine posting I realize I overlooked what I had in stock, I have 15" chains for my Shindaiwa of similar size, so will look for a 15"
bar for the Echo, if I can find one this will keep chains and pitch the same for two of my saws.
I understand the larger drive sprocket for 3/8, which would fix another problem with this Cs 501, in that bars with a larger tail
are easy for me to get here, as oposed to the 29.?? mm tail on the ones that suit the .325 chain, but then I would have to keep
spare sprockets and different chains, should have thought it through more before posting.
While it would be nice to cut faster, it would entail more stock for me and less redundancy.
Will make another stick for my back when I get a 6100 Makita or similar, that would be more comfortable with a 3/8.
Regards, john

cobey

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi cus_deluxe
Thanks for commenting.
Since posting, I have realized I have many 15" chains in .325, and it might be better for
me to try and locate a 15" bar for the Echo, at least then chains would be standard for my
other small saw is slightly less in power, and 3/8 probably would do more harm than good.
And yes, if I went 3/8 it would have had to be low profile, I guess I was looking more towards
cutting faster, yet did not give thought to what I already have in stock, I have three saws, and
I don't really want to keep three different chain lengths, let alone different pitch.
I guess my issue is solved, until I get 6100 Makita or similar.

Thank's & Regards, john

You can use a small Husky mount
And elongate the adjuster hole
And it will fit the small echo mounts

Many more choices in that mount :)

G

Greenerpastures

You can use a small Husky mount
And elongate the adjuster hole
And it will fit the small echo mounts

Many more choices in that mount :)
Hi cobey
That is good to know, as I can borrow a small husky bar, and look where I would need to cut.
Was in the saw shops yesterday, and oddly any small husky bars they showed me, were all .050,
admittedly most of their saws were all home owner small sizes too, and their next seller seemed to
be the larger mount saws, which of course were no good to me.

Would you know what tail to chose from the Husky range so the oil holes line up

G

Greenerpastures

If your running a spur instead of a rim you might be able to get 6pin. Check.
Hi Lightning Performance
I don't understand why I would need a 6 pin rim, never heard of one, a larger rim would get my chains over the ramp
at the back of larger bars, but would also slow the chain down, a smaller rim would leave me that I would need a bar
like a bread knife so the chain would not whack straight into the back of the bar.

May be I picked this up wrong.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You do need a skinny tail to run 6 tooth spurs. Less bar = less weight and money to replace. I run 18" 325 50 on a lil 435 Husqy for limbing and it is an all for everyone saw. Changed the chain to Oregon full chisel square filed and it works just fine.

Besides the chain the saw is box stock.

cobey

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi cobey
That is good to know, as I can borrow a small husky bar, and look where I would need to cut.
Was in the saw shops yesterday, and oddly any small husky bars they showed me, were all .050,
admittedly most of their saws were all home owner small sizes too, and their next seller seemed to
be the larger mount saws, which of course were no good to me.

Would you know what tail to chose from the Husky range so the oil holes line up

Small mount husqvarna
Like 346, 350 359,

G

Greenerpastures

You do need a skinny tail to run 6 tooth spurs. Less bar = less weight and money to replace. I run 18" 325 50 on a lil 435 Husqy for limbing and it is an all for everyone saw. Changed the chain to Oregon full chisel square filed and it works just fine.

Besides the chain the saw is box stock.
I see now, I like the idea of less weight, I will look into the bars, I do not want a very light one either,
too easy to damage with a heavier saw swinging on the end of it, need a happy medium.
I also see with some lighter bars, that the regular loops need to be shortened, adding to the cost, and I want to use
the same chains on two bars, so will have to carefully go about this.

G

Greenerpastures

I just downloaded the parts manual for the CS-501, and it lists a 40 cm bar, not a 45,
so am guessing it was swapped over by the Echo shop before I bought it.
Its going back tomorrow.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
John, do you know what the part number is for your current bar and chain? I just ordered a new CS-500P with 16" .325 bar and chain. If they are interchangeable we could swap!

G

Greenerpastures

John, do you know what the part number is for your current bar and chain? I just ordered a new CS-500P with 16" .325 bar and chain. If they are interchangeable we could swap!
Was away from computer there, the chain is a regular Oregon BPX, seim chisel with 72 teeth, the bar has a lot of numbers on it,
some are on the tip section, so may pertain to the tip only, don't know that part numbers matter because the bar and chain fit perfectly
on the CS-501.
But here are the numbers from the bar its self,
45RV58D-325 EEC
45CM 18"
325-72E
058G DT 5F

Listed in the USER MANUAL for the CS-501 are three bars, 16"= V40R21-68AA 18"= V45R21-72AA "20= V50R21-80AA
The part number listed in the PARTS DOWNLOAD for the CS-501 is X124-000690 followed by bar guide 40, document
also states 21BPX-68E as the chain, its part number being 431711-38331

The bar for the CS-500P is a .050 pitch, smaller than mine (.058), the chain that fits your bar is also shorter, BPX66E, two teeth less for
the same length of bar, your bar has a different part number listed in the user manual for the CS-500P, which is 16F0LD3366.

So no good to my saw as I want to keep using .058 gauge chains.

G

Greenerpastures

I will probably keep with the .058 now that I have been using them, unless I get
a bunch of chains and drives to suit a .050 cheap somewhere.