High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

HELP! buying a new saw, what to look for and out for?

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
gonna spend $300 - $1000 on a new saw. Replace my 18" pos poulan with an 18" new saw.
The power equipment dealer that I plan on buying from carries stihl, husqvarna, echo, among others.

I was leaning towards Husqvarna, the 450 Rancher size at 18", others here mentioned the 5 series.
And then the Echo CS590 or CS-620, which looks attractive first looking at their specs on the website.
I kinda don't want a Stihl, unless someone can convince me.

I want to get an 18" saw, then spend (however much?) on a good lightweight bar.

Looking for recommendations on what features to look for and look out for. Computer stuff? Electronic stuff? Comfort, weight, vibration, parts durability (magesium case all the rage now? ) ?

Which will give me the best flexibility in chain choice if I want to go full chisel?

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
gonna spend $300 - $1000 on a new saw. Replace my 18" pos poulan with an 18" new saw.
The power equipment dealer that I plan on buying from carries stihl, husqvarna, echo, among others.

I was leaning towards Husqvarna, the 450 Rancher size at 18", others here mentioned the 5 series.
And then the Echo CS590 or CS-620, which looks attractive first looking at their specs on the website.

Looking for recommendations on what features to look for and look out for. Computer stuff? Electronic stuff? Comfort, weight, vibration, parts durability (magesium case all the rage now? ) ?

Which will give me the best flexibility in chain choice if I want to go full chisel?
Make sure to also ask which mix oil you should use, lol. I would make sure to get a pro saw if you plan on keeping it. They all make good saws. The echo’s i have used have been great. Handle them all and buy the one that has the best feel at a price you want to spend. I believe the echo’s have a five year warranty if you are a homeowner and not an arborist. Let us know what you choose.

FloodWW

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
For that price range and bar size, you can't go wrong with Stihl MS 261 CM. It is the smallest "Pro" saw (besides top handles) Stihl makes. It is lightweight for its power, and has a decomp valve, which most don't need but if you have any physical limitations starting a saw, it helps. It will run a 20" bar no problem. You can use Green (anti-kickback/safety-ish) or Yellow (Halloween Horror Movie) type chains on it. I use one day in and day out and it is just a pleasure to cut with. I'm sure Husqvarna has an equivalent but I'm unfamiliar with their model number lineups. I would only go with Stihl or Husky...buy once...cry once...(in reference to spending good money for a quality product that will last)

MS 261-CM on the right. This was the start of my mid-life crisis...still ongoing....

0001 - 1.jpeg

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I was leaning towards Echo CS590 or CS-620, which looks attractive first looking at their specs on the website.
Any Husqvarna pro saw

There I fixed it for you I removed the piece of *s-word 450 from your list
Your welcome.

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell of a budget range. Ported 261 or 400, lw 20” bar. If you don’t know how to tune carbs, go mtronic on the 261. All the 400s are already I believe.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Here's a great deal
https://www.ebay.com/itm/305101662267
I owned one for 7 trouble free year's cutting firewood dropping tree's
My friend bought it from me it's still running no issues at 10 years

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having owned both a carbed 261 and a echo 590 and at the same time
The 590 is a more substantial saw for felling and blocking and 24" capable of needed
The 261 is a fine 18" bar saw capacity of running 20" of course
And you can nearly get 2 590s for the price of one 261
Or a 4910 and a 590 would be a good all around combo.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I talked a Friend that was on a budget into a 590 Timberwolf. He absolutely loves that Saw. Bang for buck It’s hard to beat it.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
for me it came down to dealer support, closest saw shop for me is a husky dealer, and he's fair and honest, thats why he gets my business, stihl dealer is 35+ miles further away, they suck when it comes to customer service so they dont get my business, I would recommend dealing with the best local dealer you have regardless of brand, they all make good tools

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mag cases aren’t “the rage” now. Saws come in 2 general configurations, clam shell and pro design.

Clam shells have the crankcase top and bottom and cylinder as a 2 piece setup and generally a flimsy plastic tank that holds the engine into itself. Not as durable and more vibes in general. Take more time to work on in general. Cheaper to produce. The StI’ll 029/290/039/390 are an example of a good one. Lots of them out there and pretty good saws, but nowhere near as tough as a pro saw.

Pro saws have a 2 piece metal case with the cylinder attached on top of it. The entire engine assemble can be isolated from the tank for vibration reduction. The top and piston can be easily removed for repair/replace/modifications. The bar is bolted to the metal case, not the plastic engine holder.

A Stihl 400 is your best option. Good dealer support (if you have one local) and good for a 16-25” bar. The echo 590 is the Best Buy out there, but their 5 year warranty sucks. Endless stories online regarding that. They generally don’t honor it and blame the user for the failures. Home Depot, I believe, warranties the saws themselves for some time though.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm really liking my Husky 550xp mk2 and I think @Gentleman is running a 20% off sale yet, that is how I got mine. Echo would be a great purchase as well and I doubt you would be dissatisfied with either one.
550XP - $530

562XP - $640

On sale until Sept 4th throw in $20-30 for shipping leaves a pretty good budget for bar and chain.

Stihl 261 or 400

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
5:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A MS261 and a trip to TN I guess.

Reactions: Lnk