J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've looked everywhere I can think of online and have seen no mention of 9 pin 3/8" sprockets being made.. there's 7-8 pin and 10 pin but no 9 pin? I'd love to try a bigger drive sprocket on my 592xp but 10 pin are so large that they cause the chain to jump off easily and might require longer chain or modifications to the bar.. would really like to try a 9 pin size for smaller bar on that saw but it seems they don't exist? Am I wrong? If anyone knows where to get one I'd greatly appreciate it.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've looked everywhere I can think of online and have seen no mention of 9 pin 3/8" sprockets being made.. there's 7-8 pin and 10 pin but no 9 pin? I'd love to try a bigger drive sprocket on my 592xp but 10 pin are so large that they cause the chain to jump off easily and might require longer chain or modifications to the bar.. would really like to try a 9 pin size for smaller bar on that saw but it seems they don't exist? Am I wrong? If anyone knows where to get one I'd greatly appreciate it.
They do exist. The seller is controversial, but he has it in stock.

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They do exist. The seller is controversial, but he has it in stock.

Thanks, I searched on there and couldn't find any.. shame that seller wants so much for it though, 5-6x the price it should be. Still I appreciate you finding that for me

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I searched on there and couldn't find any.. shame that seller wants so much for it though, 5-6x the price it should be. Still I appreciate you finding that for me
Those sprockets are shop made, not cast, like regular sprockets, so the price is usually pretty high. I have one of these myself, and the quality is very good.

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those sprockets are shop made, not cast, like regular sprockets, so the price is usually pretty high. I have one of these myself, and the quality is very good.
If you dont mind: Did you have to add links or modify bar for the 9pin? What saw are you running it on? (Was hoping it'd work on mine as-is I do got a good bit of play in the chain so that's a good sign) was just wondering about your experience running one.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You figured out that most bars aren’t designed for them. You need a “belly” bar to run the big pins, otherwise the chain stays out of a significant percentage of the groove and doesnt oil/comes off bar. Cannon makes them.

They are custom made pieces for a reason. Not too many people run a 16” bar on a 90cc saw.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fitting the tail to the pin matters a great amount when it comes to chain throwing. As far as bars, big bellies don’t aid in chain staying on much. Make for terrible change overs and don’t help much. Bar profile matters a lot however; look at the bar shape on the high horsepower cold start saws-bellies aren’t run.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you dont mind: Did you have to add links or modify bar for the 9pin? What saw are you running it on? (Was hoping it'd work on mine as-is I do got a good bit of play in the chain so that's a good sign) was just wondering about your experience running one.
I ran mine on an 066 with a 28" bar and 93dl chain. Just fit on it. It is literally just for playing for me. Too much for most of my saws.
You figured out that most bars aren’t designed for them. You need a “belly” bar to run the big pins, otherwise the chain stays out of a significant percentage of the groove and doesnt oil/comes off bar. Cannon makes them.

They are custom made pieces for a reason. Not too many people run a 16” bar on a 90cc saw.
This right here. The bigger sprockets lifts the chain up off the tail, and increases the risk of throwing the chain. The tail really should be modified to fit better.
Fitting the tail to the pin matters a great amount when it comes to chain throwing. As far as bars, big bellies don’t aid in chain staying on much. Make for terrible change overs and don’t help much. Bar profile matters a lot however; look at the bar shape on the high horsepower cold start saws-bellies aren’t run.
This guy knows.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can usually get away with running a 9 pin on a lightly modified standard bar as long as the tail isn't supper narrow. The light modifications are usually grinding into the tail to clear the sprocket to fit with a standard drive link chain. I wouldn't recommend adding links to a chain as that makes a larger region where the chain is out of the bar near the sprocket.

To run a 10 pin you'll almost always need a custom bar.

Like these bars that have been made by cutting the heal off a longer bar and then machining in the necessary features.

IMG_9126.JPG

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try here.